Most Melodic Opeth Song.

uhhh... in this context, melodic meaning.. what exactly?

Not riff oriented but melody oriented...like children of bodom for example they tend to use melodies than riffs....

A riff is ( maybe I'm wrong with this definition but it is what I understand) is like the main melody of " Symphony of Destruction " or " Seek and Destroy " .It is short but ass-kicking whereas melodies last longer and deeper in musical sense.

Every riff is a melody but not every melody is a riff.

Mmh, you want us to choose which song is more melody oriented than riff oriented, yet you seem to fail in describing the differencies.

" Every riff is a melody but not every melody is a riff "

I think I explained it very clearly here .

people only hate COB because they're not "MetUllLL \m/". they have some fucking great songs.

I kinda get what you mean with the melody thing, in that case I'd def. pick something from Orchid or MR.

people only hate COB because they're not "MetUllLL m/". they have some fucking great songs.

Eeh, I find CoB very MetUll \m/ metal indeed. It's just that the songwriteing is feeble and the whole package is kinda corny with a "beaten' hungover and thrashed down like a crazy ass wild teen on the riot" kind of vibe. To each his own I guess.

To get back on topic, probably "in mist she was standing" the intro is extremly melodic.

Epilogue probably.
Moonlapse Vertigo is also very melodic.
Btw. CoB suck because they overuse their guitar twin-melody + keyboard supa fast and catchy power metal stuff and their songs fail to create any haunting atmosphere. On the other hand it's not even that brutal either.
(Those are the reasons for me anyway)

Quite nice answers ! But I still think The Leper Affinity is the most melodic song..what else hmmm.......

From the mellow songs I would pick Face of Melinda btw...

Well, here's how I'd describe the two things:

Melody = A "singing" line, something you can sing along to. Often played/sung on top of a riff or chords.
Riff = A unison rhythmical thing, which can be melodic, but in most cases is more chord/power chord-oriented.

Opeth's riffs often incorporate melodies, for example the opening riff of Hex Omega.
The beginning of Porcelain Heart has one guitar playing a melody, on top of a riff which the other guitar plays with the bass.

Pretty much every song on Orchid and Morningrise are filled with melodies and melodies, sometimes two different melodies interconnecting (this is called polyphony), so my guess is some song from one of those records!

Based on these still lacking distinctions between 'melody' and 'riff', I'd say Moonlapse Vertigo is arguably the winner. Most of its guitar melodies are stretched across multiple measures, and repeated for similar numbers; it almost creates a notion of true movements within the piece. One Moonlapse melody I still consider a monster 'riff' is that funk-death shit that first kicks in at 2:35. Brilliant.

Btw. CoB suck because they overuse their guitar twin-melody + keyboard supa fast and catchy power metal stuff and their songs fail to create any haunting atmosphere. On the other hand it's not even that brutal either.
(Those are the reasons for me anyway)
Thats a ridiculous thing to say. you pretty much said that Cob sucks because they arent like opeth. the goal of cob is not to create an atmosphere, its about catchy guitar riffs and solos. they are excellent at what they do, so its very stupid and close minded to say that they suck because you dont like what they do. Just leave it at "i don't like them" and thats enough.

But to reply to the topic, id have to say Godhead's Lament, not only are there sick guitar melodies, the vocal melodies are awesome too.

Thats a ridiculous thing to say. you pretty much said that Cob sucks because they arent like opeth. the goal of cob is not to create an atmosphere, its about catchy guitar riffs and solos. they are excellent at what they do, so its very stupid and close minded to say that they suck because you dont like what they do. Just leave it at "i don't like them" and thats enough.

But to reply to the topic, id have to say Godhead's Lament, not only are there sick guitar melodies, the vocal melodies are awesome too.
Good point, however I think that they suck at what they "do". Though I liked Lake Bodom :) (and maybe some other songs, but they are no-where successful in my opinion)

I go for The Leper Affinity.What do you guys think ?

Nice to see one who actually shows appreciation to this song, I'd agree that its the most melodic Opeth song - the chord progressions are juicy - most people on the forum seem to focus more on "The Drappery Falls" and "Bleak" when mentioning BWP.... unfortunetly there are a large no. of people who seem to think Still Life is better than BWP - I pity them :loco: