Most over-rated metal band/singer?

James Hetfield wasn't worth rating in the early 80's so I can't say he is overrated. I don't like 'lica but you have to admire the progression of his voice from the offkey , mistimed, snarl to his current rock, pop, sound. I don't agree with people putting down Ozzy he's definitely a founding father of metal and his voice deserves all the credit is gets. I've always liked metal singers with the tough to acquire sound. Dave Mustaine and Jeff Connelly to name a few are a love hate relationship for most but if you really give them a chance you will see theres nothing overrated about them. They are doing a damn god job and trying to stay away from becoming rock ballad singers.

Why every metaller hates Ozzy. Maybe because he goes on Pepsi commericials just like what Papa Roach and Britney Spears did. And Ozzfest blows.

Most overrated bands:

In Flames - power metal in disguise
Soilwork - power metal in disguise and more cheesy and than Manowar
Kiss - They just suck big time. AC/DC is a million times better
Opeth - OK band, but they're not even in the top 50 of good Swedish metal bands.
Tool - The most overrated band in the world at the time

And to everyone who says that Slayer is overrated: Fuck you.

this thread show how metalheads are fuckin' ignorant...

van halen,ozzy and kiss are history of their beloved kind of music...

and they throw shit on them...

:Smug:

lol.gif

I agree mostly with dimensionidol. I have never been a fan of Kiss and Gene Simmons money making tactics. But I have listened to their stuff and I made my judgment on that. You can't be like leviathanticus and just pass off music as overrated if you never have heard it or merely because its on the radio. Tool is a great band but simply because they made it on the radio there not good enough for us anymore is what most would think. Once something makes it big its simply a fact that we merely pass it off as selling out and not being good anymore. Once Ozzy and Metallica hit mainstream they ceased to being metal. Once Meshuggah got mentioned on Osbournes and toured at Ozzfest they ceased to be the great band we once knew. And now that In Flames changed their style to be more accessible on Reroute to Remain, they simply are now overrated. Just because something gets popular outside the underground doesn't mean it sucks and is overrated. You need to judge music on what appeals to you not simply since it appeals to the masses its no longer good enough to fit my tastes.

wow!!

i cant believe ive seen all this shit thrown at slayer
i mean farrrrrrkkkkk!

you are all obviously entitled to your opinions and you dont need me to point that out, but slayer is without doubt in my mind one of the best bands in the history of music. i aint even gonna bother listing the millions of songs they had that own most other shit out there.

as far as vocalists go, tom araya does produce that gritty strength that makes slayer so great (as one guy eluded to earlier). i personally think hes fkn great as is slayer

i noticed axl rose came up as well. as far as im concerned, he has a great vocal diversity. look at civil war, welcome to the jungle and sweet child o mine.

metallica - metallica had some great songs. but james hefield liked to really add an AAAHHHHHHHH on the end of every word-AAAAHHHHHHHH
plus the usual .. metallica sold out etc.

ozzy - well i guess you could say he is overrated. but i dunno. its a tough call. i love ozzy, both sabbath and a fair amount of his solo stuff. songs like paranoid and ironman i think are mad and ozzy's voice at the time was amazingly different and really set the mood of the music. he sounds like the ironman!!! "diary of a madman" is real and send chills up your spine.
the best part i believe about his voice and music is that his voice reflects his lyrics.
yes, if you think he is all that is metal, then you are mistaken, i dont believe there is one ultimate metal vocalist .. its all different.

phillip anselmo .. you seemed to mock because he didnt spend enough time with pantera or focus his efforts on that band.
dont get me wrong, pantera went downhill from far beyond driven and i think its a shame, but have you got beef with his voice or his attitude?
his voice is closest to the best voice ive heard.

now, let me rip on your favourite bands as mine seem to have been torn to shreads in this thread.
mikael akerfeldt - overrated. who cares if you can grunt and moan like your pregnant on stage, whislt shitting on about walking trhough forrests and what not. opeth got talent, but the end result isnt my style.
david lee roth - shit shit shit shit shit shit. yeah im hot for teacher mate, can we move on?
bon scott and brian johnson - every acdc song sounds the same and i cant work out what any of them say. thunderfuck or something?
tool - whoever sings for them. i just dont like it.

i mean there is a whole host of stuff. that just comes to mind atm.

just my 2 cents :tickled:

perhaps this thread needs a rival, a favourite vocalist thread!

hey @ misfit , you can have your opinion, but criticism on AC/DC is not accepted .... but I like your other comments :)

talking about overrated singers I could mention an whole genre, but to stay with metal genres where a judgement on a singer can be made, I would say Doro Pesch is far overrated. She is good looking, no doubt, but she simply can´t sing.

The best metal singer ? no question: Geoff Tate !!