most promising new band?

Way to many to mention, so I won't mention any. I really want to, and I know you really want me to, but I won't.

I was joking, by the way... There's a stack of awesome new bands - I'll get back to you later. Gotta go pick up the pizzas... Do you like pizzas? I like pizzas. OkBiBiXoXox

Agalloch: Regardless the band having three fullength albums considered them a promising new band.

Daylight Dies: Dismantling Devotion is excellent.

I'm curious what both these bands do next.

Gojira formed in 1996... hardly the newest band out there.
They're also pretty bad imo.

Winters on the other hand are quite new and excellent. Signed to Rise Above Records (Same label as Cathedral & Electric Wizard), they've released one EP, which is ace traditional doom. A full length is going to be realeased soon.
Winters' myspace

That thrash band named evile has a good demo and ep!! For death metal I'd say gorod maybe? On metal archives it says they formed in 97 but they only released their first album in 05 so whatever. Oh shit almost forgot necros christos as well, kickass blackened death metal! Dawn of Azazel as well for black/death. For pure black metal I'd probably go with Drudkh and my recently discovered mgla their ep is very impressive, I also checked out Kriegsmaschine which is one of those religious black metal bands....very good none the less and formed in 02. :heh:

They're only seven years old and only have three albums to their name so I'd go with them being "new."

Between The Buried and Me.

Blind Stare

Fuck yeah, Blind Stare is great Melodeath. The Absence gets a vote from me as well.

And, of course, Dripping. They have only released one full length, and it was pretty recent. They are coming out with a second.

On the black metal front, I am not so sure. Frost (UK) released their debut album in 2002 or 2003, and it was pretty enjoyable. I would like to see more of their stuff in the future. I could pick ten million others out of a hat, who knows. There have been plenty of decent, if not good BM bands who have had first or second releases within the past 5 years or so. It is hard to pick with black metal, since the basic formula for a lot of the bands is the same, and with the genre comes a fine line between good and good.