Movies/series thread

I don't care for the random hate and nitpicking. But if I were to play along and choose an animal, it would have been a Lemur.

In any case I don't take issue with any of the casting. My only concern is the quality of the show overall, particularly the writing. I don't expect much from the series but if it's good, then I will watch.

I don't think there is any casting combination that wouldn't piss some people off in some way. Either a character is the wrong race, or doesn't meet their aesthetic taste, or looks like a lemur. You guys are way too concerned about things that barely matter. Even if it were SJW interference, which I think is unlikely, I just don't give a shit about the casting.

I was slightly concerned about the rumoured casting call that forced Ciri to be a different race, but that turned out to be a farce as well. I'll wait and see the quality of the show overall.

Even if it were SJW interference, which I think is unlikely, I just don't give a shit about the casting.

The writing staff are literal SJWs which can be proven by several different kinds of evidence lol but sure.

Either a character is the wrong race

A legitimate thing to complain about.

or doesn't meet their aesthetic taste, or looks like a lemur. You guys are way too concerned about things that barely matter.

The marsupial thing was a joke. I thought it was obvious, it was just my attempt at a comical rebuttal to arg claiming she looked generic which I don't think she does at all. Calm down sperg.

I just don't give a shit about the casting.

You probably should but fair enough.

I was slightly concerned about the rumoured casting call that forced Ciri to be a different race, but that turned out to be a farce as well. I'll wait and see the quality of the show overall.

It didn't turn out to be a farce, the backlash about it seems to have evidently made them rethink such a move.

I should be clear that most of what I said wasn't specifically directed at anyone here, but at the overall reaction of the internet. There has been an unusual amount of criticism in general about the casting of this particular show and I just think it has been overblown and exaggerated.

Ciri looks like rare Pepe. Yennefer is definitely a child hybrid, so she's the biggest fail of the casting.

Current Ciri will make it work for very young Ciri, for older, just no, its gonna be terrible.

Still hate superman as Geralt. Too young, again (is this show run by secret pedos?) and too handsome in a badway, he's boy handsome, not man handsome, if that makes sense. But he definitely isnt scary. And no amount of makeup will change that.

I should be clear that most of what I said wasn't specifically directed at anyone here, but at the overall reaction of the internet. There has been an unusual amount of criticism in general about the casting of this particular show and I just think it has been overblown and exaggerated.

Witcher is beloved and there is a sort of trend lately with political hacks ruining things for no reason so I do understand the hysteria around it. That said, I'm not one of these "c'mon guys stop being haters" types, I think criticism of something can pretty much only ever be a good thing.

Nowadays criticism equals:
Racism
Homophobia
Xenophobia
Hating
Trolling
Literally Hitler

As I said before, if they just have to absilutely fill some kind of quota for blacks (never for asians apparently, because asians being master race dont give a fuck, its just blacks being insecure) make a black character where it at least makes 10% sense. Not estabilished literally "pale" characters or adding black characters to obviously racist and xenophobic nations.

And the whole hystiera maybe caused them to make some other casting choices. They still suck though, minor characters have better casting than the main ones.

It's been ages since I saw a good polish movie.

Yesterday went to the cinema to see most viewed movie in history of Poland and everything thanks to catholic church and ruling party, who wanted to boycot the movie.

Kler (no idea if they translated the movie title, but I heard its possible to see it abroad). Movie following some catholic priests doing what priests are known for. Drinking, scamming, lying, raping children, influencing government and getting money wherever they can.

Sometimes nice shots with great scenography, good acting and the plot is mostly solid. 7/10 from me, can recommend if you are able to see it somehow.

Bonus points if you want to watch it to piss off retarded catholics. I know that government and cathofanatics are fuming for the last month, and 70% of the success of the movies is their fault. Love it

kids love Witcher, kids are stupid and intolerant, thus the shitstorm. There wasn't much rage over rumors of Idris Elba as Bond.

What a bullshit comment. There wasn't much rage over the Bond thing? Changing the race of Bond isn't even really comparable to changing the race of a Witcher character. Bond's race isn't an integral part of his character, the same cannot be said for a Witcher character.

What fundamental difference makes the race an integral part of one character but not the other?

Bond's nationality is the more important element and since the Bond films are based in the present time of whenever it's filmed, Bond can be any race because Britain is a multi-ethnic society.

Witcher is much more racially homogeneous, based in Polish folklore and Ciri is a princess of a kingdom which is especially racially homogeneous and both her parents are white-skinned. Changing the race of Ciri would have to mean that one of her parents were non-white, which would mean one or both of them would also have to be racially rewritten or the story would have to be changed so that her mother had an affair with another man.

Changing the race of one completely wrecks a shitload of canon, the other is just a mild annoyance to people who are used to a white Bond.

Ciri's parents are white-skinned, Bond's parents are white-skinned. And I would argue Scotland is a lot more racially homogeneous than Poland. And - surprise surprise - Witcher TV series are based in the present time as well. It's literally the same shit, only with Bond there aren't too much people who think going online and complaying to each other in echo chambers is a good idea.

If you say so. It's still retarded to change Ciri's race (or any well-established character in general) and dismissing complaints about it as "intolerant kids" is just lazy.

Didn't know that the Witcher series was set in the present day though, that's weird.

It's not a historical period drama, it's a fantasy setting, there's nothing to refer to in reality. Expect modern culture throughout the series, including dank memes. Producers know what's good for them, having minorities in the cast will just attract more viewers. Fans should know better than being butthurt over that.

I'm indigenous Australian and randomly making Geralt an aboriginal wouldn't attract me, in fact I would specifically avoid it because of its complete lack of respect for the source material.

Not that I have high hopes for the adaptation anyway, with all this behind-the-scenes fuckery there's a good chance it will be an absolute mess of a series. They're already so desperate to appease identity politics.

And yes, I understand it's a fantasy setting. Have you even read or played The Witcher? Ciri has the Lara gene, another reason it would be retarded to change her race.

Never read the books, played 10 minutes of the game, don't like it, but half my friends are the series fanboys and would talk about it at length. I imagine the way they would've dealt with Ciri is to change the race of her entire family. I'm not talking about Ciri though, she's white in the final cast. People here are furious over a minor ass character being played by a black girl.

I'm indigenous Australian and randomly making Geralt an aboriginal wouldn't attract me, in fact I would specifically avoid it because of its complete lack of respect for the source material.
well that's just you and people in general disagree with you. Why do you think minorities want themselves in movies if they weren't interested in that? It's a big deal for them. And it shouldn't be a big deal for you or me - the non-minorities.

I imagine the way they would've dealt with Ciri is to change the race of her entire family. I'm not talking about Ciri though, she's white in the final cast. People here are furious over a minor ass character being played by a black girl.

Because the backlash made them change their plans and it seems they instead race-flipped a lesser character because it's the exact kind of canon-tampering that a) makes critics look unreasonable and b) validates the views of contrarians like you who like to act like any kind of criticism is just people being triggered or whatever bullshit platitude you used.

They changed a Nilfgaardian to a black person for literally no reason and they won't explain the random change in any kind of rational way if at all.

Never read the books, played 10 minutes of the game, don't like it, but half my friends are the series fanboys and would talk about it at length.

Figures, explains why your opinions thus far have been idiotic. Funny to know you consider half your friends to be kids. What do they think about the Ciri rumours and this current race controversy? Are they also intolerant?

well that's just you and people in general disagree with you.

Citation needed. Backlash was enough to change their minds about casting Ciri as a black or Asian actor, clearly enough people agree with me that randomly fucking with shit like race or sex in a film or series based on pre-established franchises is stupid.

Why do you think minorities want themselves in movies if they weren't interested in that?

Not sure this is even true, but minorities wanting representation doesn't necessarily mean they want franchises randomly co-opted. This could be demonstrated by the massive popularity of Black Panther vs the countless flops where gender or race is randomly changed or flipped. There's an inherent cheapness to it as well as a condescension.

It's a big deal for them. And it shouldn't be a big deal for you or me - the non-minorities.

I'm not a non-minority and I disagree it's a big issue. It's a big issue for a politically charged subsection of a group that could be defined as "minorities" but that's about it. If people were obsessed with this kind of thing, Luke Cage wouldn't have been cancelled after only 2 seasons. When it gets down to it, people want entertainment or quality (or both). This is also why the female Thor run flopped.