Movies

Crank: Pure shit. Turned it off after 5 minutes, literally.
Running Scared: Shit. Turned it off after about an hour.
I don't understand what goes through people's heads when they make crap like this. Why I rented them is another question.

"Crank" is a funny movie bro. Pure non-sense, but fun nonetheless. Though I understand where you're coming from as I recently puked 30 minutes in to "Smoking Aces" from the sheer crapnitude of it all. Movie was done in the same manner, yet failed, where Crank succeeded.

What was "Running Scared" about?! Sounds uber gay dominitus.

I watched Platoon for the first time in years yesterday. Flick never gets old. :kickass:

I didn't get a single chuckle out of Crank. Jason Statham was believeable in the Transporter movies but in this, he was just stupid.

Don't rent Running Scared.

I thought of you today as I pruchased the new Dream Theater. But only for a second; don't get excited. Anyway, this album better be good.

if you did not enjoy Running Scared but will waste and hour with Dream Theater ... you are super uber gaydough

I just caught the opening scene of "Running Scared" on youtube. Storyline wise, it seems intriguing. But the shootout was the silliest thing I have ever seen. If you take a shotgun round at point blank range your body is not going to fly 8 feet backwards until a wall stops your momentum. Wouldn't you basically be disemboweled by the impact and fall where you stand? The whole matrix like cinematography of bullets flying in slow motion needs to end. It's really been done to death. With that being said, Dream Theater shits down Paul Walker's Malibu Barbie throat.

Tully, maybe you can test that shotgun theory on some towelheads?

Even the most high-powered weapons don't really have knockback. A .45 won't throw someone through the air, it will stop them advancing, though. Projectiles, even in a wide spread, just tear through human flesh/tissue without any resistance which would cause knockback. Shit like that is always pure Hollywood bullshit.

Edit: Instead of knockback, Hollywood needs to focus on vicious, ripping wounds.

I thought Crank was spot on marvellous! Jason Stratham at his best since Lock Stock Two Smoking Barrells.

Anyway, went to see: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER!!! :kickass:

Very good for youngsters. It's not in Batman Begins territory but much better than the first. I took my 5 year old although she prefers Shrek and stuff. Anyway, if you're about 9-14 years old, or don't take this movie escapism thing too seriously (watch out Dorian Gray), there's no reason why you shouldn't love FF4 part 2.

or don't take this movie escapism thing too seriously (watch out Dorian Gray)

Dude, I love movies! I've just never been able to tolerate mindless action movies. The fighting in Crank (and every single other action flick) is so incredibly fake, it turns me off. Also, there's just nothing funny about killing people....unless it's meant to be funny a la Hot Fuzz

I just caught the opening scene of "Running Scared" on youtube. Storyline wise, it seems intriguing. But the shootout was the silliest thing I have ever seen. If you take a shotgun round at point blank range your body is not going to fly 8 feet backwards until a wall stops your momentum.
Pretty much what I was getting at. The fact that there's an audience for this kind of glorified violence makes me ill.

did you make it to the scene with the pedophile couple? ... all of a sudden the violence would have made a lot of sense ... you be rootin' fo it and shit

HARSH TIMES ... saw this talked about in a recent thread. Great characters and mood! How did I miss this flick? Never saw Bale so "real" and talkative ... almost surreal

SMOKING ACES ... :lol: ... I see what you guys mean. It was funny to me though as I was watching director Joe Carnahan (NARC ... which was just amazing!) finding his style and playing around. This was a mix of True Romance, True Lies, Pulp Fiction ... almost direct scene ripoffs of each ...
I fell asleep watching it and made no effort to rewind ... but I did catch the ending and found the "explanation" and climactic scene to be fucking brilliant.
This was a pure excercise in style and the director trying to experiment ...

did you make it to the scene with the pedophile couple? ... all of a sudden the violence would have made a lot of sense ... you be rootin' fo it and shit

Yeah, the woman was in "Lost" and the guy was in "Sopranos". That was a surreal scene. I was hoping she would kill them but I felt the whole thing was pointless. I struggle to watch movies without some redeeming value nowadays. I had trouble watching 28 Weeks Later because of the incredible violence. I've mellowed since having a child.

Apocalypto was excellent. Much better than I thought it would be. Great scenery. Mel Gibson may be a nut, but he knows how to make good movies.