Movies

Watched "The Last King Of Scotland" - Whitaker is a god, of course we knew that already from "Ghost Dog" and others, but this time he totally surpassed himself. Also Kerry Washington's ass defines perfection.

Black Snake Moan - Christina Ricci makes my pants tight. Cool flick.

Smokin' Aces - fun movie.

How I Planned to Kill Tony Blair - excellent, but disturbing.

Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple - excellent, but disturbing.

The Abandoned - simply unwatchable. Turned it off half way through.

School for Scoundrels - had its moments, but overall, very average.

Die Hard 4.0 - if all you want is all out over the top action, this is the movie for you. It was so over the top that by the end of the movie I just had to lol at it. I'll definitely buy it on dvd.

Transformers - garbage

Hollywood bastardization of a decent 80's cartoon storyline. Riddled with cliches and bad acting. A few laughs and fun here and there, but will only appeal in the long run to teenagers and those who either aren't familiar with or aren't fans of the original series (particularly those that are suckers for the tripe that continues to pass as summertime formulaic nonsense).

It never ceases to amaze me how the studio big bucks are thrown behind projects like this.

Save your money.

Thanks for the tip dude.
Also irritating is that the new toys are plastic - not the sturdy die-cast we had as kids. That and they're fucking $40.

i read transformers is 144 minutes long??? what the flying fuck?? who the hell needs a 2 1/2 hour action movie!? ever since lord of the rings apparently all the hollywood execs are like "durrrrr, this movie has an incoherent plot, shitty acting, moronic dialogue...what do we do? i know, add another 45 agonizing minutes and jack up the ticket prices another $2!!"

Thanks for the tip dude.
Also irritating is that the new toys are plastic - not the sturdy die-cast we had as kids. That and they're fucking $40.

No problem.

And that's lame about the toys. Are they from Hasboro? The old toys bring back some amazing memories, durable and well made, they survived many a war in my old childhood home. :kickass:

It's a shame I ever opened the boxes. I had so many I'd be able to command a TON of money for the collection.

i read transformers is 144 minutes long??? what the flying fuck?? who the hell needs a 2 1/2 hour action movie!? ever since lord of the rings apparently all the hollywood execs are like "durrrrr, this movie has an incoherent plot, shitty acting, moronic dialogue...what do we do? i know, add another 45 agonizing minutes and jack up the ticket prices another $2!!"

Yeah, that's a whole separate beef right there. Plus, the movie started 20 minutes past the scheduled time due to previews and commercials. I mean, growing up you had maybe 3 or 4 regular previews and then the movie came on. Didn't take more than 5 minutes. But 20 FREAKING minutes of previews mixed in with commercials? UGH.

Watched this Korean movie called A Bittersweet Life a couple of nights ago - highly recommend that one. It's a gangster thriller as visually stylish and beautifully composed as anyone familiar with the new wave of South Korean cinema would expect, shot through with Taratino-esque wit, occasional jet-black humour and some jaw-dropping violence.

theres no need to argue, I know how all you guys are.
If it has cgi, its bad.
If one thing is different from what it should be, its bad.
an ounce of cheese, its bad.

My friends and I (who grew up with Transformers) loved every minute of it.

If it has cgi, its bad.

The effects were actually quite good - I had no issue with them, nor with cgi when it's done well (the Jurassic Park films come to mind)

Kriggy said:
If one thing is different from what it should be, its bad.
an ounce of cheese, its bad.

Nope. I knew going in that it would be wholly different from the original series and storylines. I was simply hoping for something way more serious than the campy one-liner schlockfest we got. Optimus Prime trampling on a flower bed in someone's garden and then saying "my bad", may be funny, but had no place in the movie I was hoping for. The previews for the film were extremely misleading in that regard.

"We learned how humans talk from the internet". Please.

Kriggy said:
My friends and I (who grew up with Transformers) loved every minute of it.

Glad you guys liked it - if you're in the mood for a typical Hollywood campy and brainless action/adventure movie, than I could see enjoying it (and every now and then I actually do get in the mood for that kind of movie - Independence Day comes to mind). Honestly though, it's garbage otherwise. Sorry.