Movies

Watched DEATH PROOF, incredibly mediocre i mean really really mediocre cult wannabe, probably Tarantino's most wannabe movie. Watching Jackson and Travolta making philosophical discussions about any random crap, is the best thing in the world, but to watch some hot, yet talentless, birds doing that is boring. Only the music ruled (as always).

the bassist in one of my bands has "AMORES PEROS" tattooed on his arm, he knows it's misspelled now but :lol: poor dude

has anybody seen NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN???? FUCK I AM STOKED FOR THAT

Hell ya, I am excited for that too. However, all theaters around here suck ass an cater to young kids and fill all the screens with shit kids movies.

I don't quite get the "Crash" hate, I believed it to be a good film. All the in the closet racists had their feathers ruffled by the director's message. When you walk in to a St Paul. liquor store at 11pm at night, surrounded by half a dozen negars, with a wad of cash on you, does your fight or flight mechanism not go to defcon 2???! If not, you're no wiser than the gazelle who grazes the Serengeti care-free amongst a pride of lions. (Or in this case chimps)

I'm not arguing that the central message wasn't a worthy or important one, just that it was delivered with absolutely no trace of subtlety or impartiality. The characters were defined entirely by their surface prejudices, so that on first sighting of each of them we go 'ah, he/she's an evil racist - BOO! HISS!', then their back-story was explained in equally unsubtle terms, making us go 'ah, that's why he/she's a racist - they're not evil, just misguided'.

Rather than promoting any kind of debate or inspiring any genuine, deep thought about the tensions and dissonance caused by living in modern multi-cultural societies, it simply contrived a series of melodramatic prejudice vs. prejudice situations before shrugging it's shoulders and leaving us with the thought 'Hmm. Guess we can all be a little racist sometimes.'

A let-down.

I don't quite get the "Crash" hate, I believed it to be a good film. All the in the closet racists had their feathers ruffled by the director's message. When you walk in to a St Paul. liquor store at 11pm at night, surrounded by half a dozen negars, with a wad of cash on you, does your fight or flight mechanism not go to defcon 2???! If not, you're no wiser than the gazelle who grazes the Serengeti care-free amongst a pride of lions. (Or in this case chimps)

When you walk into a liquor store at 11 pm you have to be playing Repugnant as loud as possible in a White Minivan. That's the only way to get it done! :kickass:

I just got done watching 3:10 to Yuma. Pretty good movie.

*slight spoiler*

I'm just a little annoyed that in the final fight Bale's character had to be helped so damned much by Crowe's. Yeah yeah, I get that he wasn't actually some war hero afterall but still...

I'm glad to see all the Crash hate here. Abysmal, garbage movie. Easily the worst best picture winner ever.

I encourage everyone here to see No Country For Old men. It was easily the best movie I've seen in the last few years.

:kickass:

saw it today. fucking great film, i also strongly recommend it to everyone here who likes the cohen bros, or just really fucking bleak, violent, but artful movies....which i figure is pretty much everyone. bleakest shit they've ever done, a little characteristic dry humor in there but it makes fargo look like raising arizona :headbang:

Yeah, looking forward to No Country. Might wait until DVD though - I've had enough of going to movies

Re: Crash:

I thought Matt Dillon's character was spot on perfect. The phone call he makes to inquire about his father, with the fat black woman on the other end of the line giving him attitude, was absolutely exceptional. This is so truthful in reality it's gone beyond the stereotype. The moment he asks her name, and she says "Shaniqua", to his response, "yeah, I figured as much" was fucking grade A. :kickass: I actually cheered out loud during that moment only because on some level, I HOPE that some black woman somewhere is watching that and thinking, "yeah I really am a cunt and deserve to be labeled a backward primate, damn Rev King would be ashamed of what we have become".

Also, how anyone can watch the scene where you think the girl has been shot in the back trying to protect her father in the "invisible cloak", and not feel an ounce of sorrow, well, what can I say? Did anyone really watch that scene with a blank expression? I refuse to believe it, unless you're socially retarded or overtly autistic.

Dill said:
Rather than promoting any kind of debate or inspiring any genuine, deep thought about the tensions and dissonance caused by living in modern multi-cultural societies, it simply contrived a series of melodramatic prejudice vs. prejudice situations before shrugging it's shoulders and leaving us with the thought 'Hmm. Guess we can all be a little racist sometimes.'

I shake my head at disbelief in this. *shakes head* So let me ask you, rather than embrace the concept of everyone being racist, you would reject it because it doesn't need to be spoon fed? You're insulted at the fact that it's too obvious? How much more beneath the surface do you need to scratch? It is what it is. This is life in America. Inherent deeply rooted racism and segregation. Everyone out to fend for themselves with any semblance of "community" flushed down the toilet. Remember there is no monarchy in the US, no class system whatsoever. Not even a pub culture where 'everyone knows your name'. It's rich/poor, black/white. The "middle class" is a myth. This isn't the West Midlands. :loco:

i agree with Dill ... the whole thing was too obvious. maybe because I experience and see this on a daily basis ... just turn on the 11pm news in NY ... they really don't hold back much.

it might be something "new" to middle America ... or the rest of the world

i agree with Dill ... the whole thing was too obvious. maybe because I experience and see this on a daily basis ... just turn on the 11pm news in NY ... they really don't hold back much.

it might be something "new" to middle America ... or the rest of the world

But Crash isn't really a news headline though is it? And even if you can relate to it since you live it on a daily basis, wouldn't that make the film more acceptable? I always thought films were better when you can relate. Surely everybody can relate to one character or one event in the film.

I think Babel was obvious and carefully choreographed, but Crash was just seamless. But you could be right about it being something new to the rest of the world. Indeed, if someone wanted to know more about the USA without actually visiting, I'd probably just tell them to rent Crash and then catch 30 minutes of NASCAR and they'd be done.

The moment he asks her name, and she says "Shaniqua", to his response, "yeah, I figured as much" was fucking grade A. I actually cheered out loud during that moment only because on some level, I HOPE that some black woman somewhere is watching that and thinking, "yeah I really am a cunt and deserve to be labeled a backward primate, damn Rev King would be ashamed of what we have become".

but the main problem is that a "real life" Shaniqua would tune out of this movie 5 minutes into it ... its not made with her in mind ... and the people that its made for ... we already all know this shit