Movies

The wife said she saw something recently where a black manager just downright refused to hire black women with names like "Shaniqua". I love parents who set their children up for failure straight away.

in Europe it was common to have your photo sent along with your CV (resume) when applying for work?
is it still?

Not sure. Only 10 years ago, it was normal to have your birthdate on the CV too. (But you can easily figure out someone's age just by looking at their graduation date).

I look at resumes all the time. I have no problems with ethnic names, because almost every ethnicity has its own solid traits. However, if I get a name like Leroy Washington or Shaniqua Jones, I'd probably raise an eyebrow. That said, I've never seen a resume from someone who didn't graduate university so it's never been an issue.

do most companies in the US even check with Universities whether someone claiming they graduated from college, did in fact?
i am sure they do for high level positions, but I really doubt they do for anything else

do most companies in the US even check with Universities whether someone claiming they graduated from college, did in fact?
i am sure they do for high level positions, but I really doubt they do for anything else

Oh hell yes. HR departments are like the CIA when it comes to these checks. I saw my US company file once and they had copies of all my college certificates (from the UK).

Plus it's highly unlikely they'd get past the interview process anyway.

Oh hell yes. HR departments are like the CIA when it comes to these checks. I saw my US company file once and they had copies of all my college certificates (from the UK).

Plus it's highly unlikely they'd get past the interview process anyway.

i think that's because of after post 9/11 profiling :lol: :loco: ... [/stepsovertheline]

i think that's because of after post 9/11 profiling :lol: :loco: ... [/stepsovertheline]

Haha, actually no, it was from 1998. :tickled: But otherwise, on the contrary, people from Asia/South Asia/Middle East are almost always a sure bet: typically great education (non-US), exceptionally articulate and bilingual, and just willing to put in the hours. Even before they've come in for an interview, you know there's a chance they're going to do well in case study exams etc.

I shake my head at disbelief in this. *shakes head* So let me ask you, rather than embrace the concept of everyone being racist, you would reject it because it doesn't need to be spoon fed? You're insulted at the fact that it's too obvious? How much more beneath the surface do you need to scratch? It is what it is. This is life in America. Inherent deeply rooted racism and segregation. Everyone out to fend for themselves with any semblance of "community" flushed down the toilet. Remember there is no monarchy in the US, no class system whatsoever. Not even a pub culture where 'everyone knows your name'. It's rich/poor, black/white. The "middle class" is a myth. This isn't the West Midlands. :loco:

You're missing my point - it's not the concept/message that bothered me - it was the fact that I felt that the seriousness of it was seriously short-changed by how simplistically it was presented. There was the potential for an insightful, thought-provoking issue-based movie, but it was torpedoes by characters being presented as nothing more than vehicles for obvious prejudices with obvious causes.

HOT FUZZ fucking ruled immensely ... even more so than Shaun of the Dead.

just brilliant!

I'll have to watch that again as the first time I watched it was in little bits over several days. However, I don't think it was anywhere near as good as Shaun of the Dead. Thinking back on it, I can't even remember one moment that really had me laughing.

Haha, actually no, it was from 1998. :tickled: But otherwise, on the contrary, people from Asia/South Asia/Middle East are almost always a sure bet: typically great education (non-US), exceptionally articulate and bilingual, and just willing to put in the hours. Even before they've come in for an interview, you know there's a chance they're going to do well in case study exams etc.

I might have believed you a year ago.

Yeah, I should clarify, I wouldn't automatically include the Far East in that equation, unless that person is raised in the west. Otherwise they can be far from articulate, and so the whole bi-lingual benefit goes out the window. I don't think many ethnicities struggle as much with English as, say, the Chinese. The grammar is almost always jumbled.

That said, if they're raised in the west, there's a good chance that they've been pressured into a decent education by their families. It's a cultural thing.

in Europe it was common to have your photo sent along with your CV (resume) when applying for work?
is it still?

Photo, age, religion (for some companies), if you did military or social service (germans have to do one or the other, it used to be men did military, women social, but that changed), marital status, number of children...

married and no children = no chance (if you're a chick). That means that any second now you're going to get knocked up.

edit: it was really weird writing my resume here, some things were so foreign. And "big things" for north american companies, mean jack shit here. German Companies don't care if you participate in the community, they aren't out for an image, hell they don't even care if they have customers...

Germany isn't called the "service desert" for nothing. :)

married and no children = no chance (if you're a chick). That means that any second now you're going to get knocked up.

yeah this is very common all over Europe. don't mothers to be also get like very extended paid time off after birth? ... hence the fear from companies to hire.

its a Catch22 as Europe's population is not growing at all