Movies

finally watched ANTICHRIST ...
I was expecting a powerful punch and it was in some sense ... but not nearly as memorable as MARTYRS for example. Of course these are completely different movies, but I was expecting something that would get under my skin more than this did.

I could not help but think about Dafoe as Christ in The Last Temptation of Christ and wonder if it had anything to do with choosing him for this role.

After all the controversy around the film, I gotta say I expected a lot more. Honestly, had it not been for all the "THIS MOVIE IS MISOGYNIST AND MADE BY THE ASSHOLE OF SATAN" yelling about it, I might have been a bit shocked a bit by it. Shame really.

next on list:

Russian director Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker, an allegorical science fiction film like his earlier Solaris, was adapted from the novel Picnic by the Roadside by brothers Boris Strugatsky and Arkady Strugatsky. The film follows three men -- the Writer (Nikolai Grinko), the Scientist (Anatoliy Solonitsyn), and the Stalker (Alexander Kaidanovsky) -- as they travel through a mysterious and forbidden territory in the Russian wilderness called the "Zone". In the Zone, nothing is what it seems. Objects change places, the landscape shifts and rearranges itself. It seems as if an unknown intelligence were actively thwarting any attempt to penetrate its borders. In the Zone, there is said to be a bunker, and in the bunker: a magical room which has the power to make wishes come true. The Stalker is the hired guide for the journey who has, through repeated visits to the Zone, become accustomed to its complex traps, pitfalls, and subtle distortions. Only by following his lead (which often involves taking the longest, most frustrating route) can the Writer and the Scientist make it alive to the bunker and the room. As the men travel farther into the Zone, they realize it may take something more than just determination to succeed: it may actually take faith. Increasingly unsure of their deepest desires, they confront the room wondering if they can, in the end, take responsibility for the fulfillment of their own wishes.

Alina recommended Tarkovsky's Mirror when I told her all I'd seen by him was Ivan's Childhood. Crazy movie though, I don't think I've ever seen a child with such a mature role as that, and he handled it pretty well!

Alina recommended Tarkovsky's Mirror when I told her all I'd seen by him was Ivan's Childhood. Crazy movie though, I don't think I've ever seen a child with such a mature role as that, and he handled it pretty well!
You're welcome, my homosexual friend :)

PS: I love the actress that plays mother she's so 'real' and has this special charm of a woman that has seen in life more that she'd prefer to.

after watching ANTICHRIST last week, I have to watch some cheerier flicks before tackling any Tarkovsky.
anyone see The Brothers Bloom?

what the fuck is this?????? ....

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/badlieutenantportofcallneworleans/

In a June 2008 interview with The Guardian, Abel Ferrara, who directed and co-wrote the original Bad Lieutenant (1992), said that finding out his movie was being remade was "a horrible feeling", "like when you get robbed", and that those involved in this remake "should all die in hell". He also wondered how Nicolas Cage "can even have the nerve to play Harvey Keitel", and called screenwriter William M. Finkelstein an idiot.

Bad Lieutenant is in my Top 5 movies ever ... this really pisses me off.

Its like someone remaking Lord of the Rings for some of you :loco:

i saw Couples Retreat. not near as funny as some of Vaughn's others. Old School still holds the title. but that sex and the city slut has gotten hotter with age. day-um.

You're welcome, my homosexual friend :)

PS: I love the actress that plays mother she's so 'real' and has this special charm of a woman that has seen in life more that she'd prefer to.

The Mirror is seriously one of the most involving movies I've seen. Watched it twice and it's like a drug, couldn't take my eyes off the screen, for the unreal beauty of the takes and this feeling to see the deepest recesses of one person's internal drama unfolding against the backdrop of History.

Tarkovski rules as God on my planet :worship:

and indeed, the actress is beautiful in a "strong yet ridden by tedium vitae" kind of way