Movies

Moving on...someone discuss *Halloween 2* with me. Is this excellent film-making? Is this good? Shit? PURE shit? I can't really tell. The movie didn't do much for me - almost put me to sleep actually - but I wanted to commend Mr. Zombie for delving a little deeper what with the ghost of his Mom and the white horse and whatnot. But WHAT DID IT MEAN? Is *this* Michael Myers immortal or what?

Still haven't seen Public Enemies and I am huge Mann fanboy ... Depp someone makes it feel goofy from the trailers. Damn him and his Pirates flicks ...
So how was he in it?

Haven't seen either of the new Halloween flicks but have both at home ... and Zombie is directing an episode of CSI:Miami soon. serious.

Any of you skirts seen THE COVE yet? I hear its the doc of the decade. Need to check it out.

star-wars-goes-burlesque.4303485.56.jpg

The Book of Eli

OK, so the previews want you to believe that this is a full-on action movie with nonstop Michael Bay type of over-the-top killing and shit. Not so......at all. Sure, there are action scenes and it even gets really bloody in two scenes (both which rock). Overall, the film is slow paced, concerned more about the post-apocalyptic world scenery (or lack thereof) and the effect on the peoples than ho-hum action. Denzel actually acts in this one. He's not the angry black guy, but more of a soft spoken old schooler that knows how to kick ass when provoked. Gary Oldman is Gary Oldman. He plays those sadistic parts well and this is no exception. Mila Kunis (who I'm not a fan of) actually pulled this one off, though she is too pretty for this type of movie.

This movie was a pleasant surprise. The ending, I thought, was very good. Unfortunately, this movie will piss off A LOT of people. If you thought the movie Signs was ridiculous with the religious connotations, stay away.....far away. That stuff doesn't really bother me. In fact, it added a desperation to the characters that probably would happen if our world is turned into a wasteland. The twist at the end WORKED perfectly. It gives that "Oh, so that's why" moment, but again, relies heavy of religion. So take that as you will.

The score must also be mentioned. Wow. A stunning minimalist sound that perfectly matched the landscape.

Much, much better than I was expecting.

I want to see 'Unfaithful' in 3D so Diane Lane's boobies are near.

Jesus. That would be amazing. I'm just sayin'.

I saw Avatar in 3D a few days ago. I enjoyed it. $20 for my son and I seemed a little ridiculous at a noon showing but whatever. He was stoked as hell.

Sidenote: the theatre was full of kids who were all, of course, wearing the 3D glasses as soon as they got in (for the non-3D previews). Once the actual 3D kicked in there was a collective "WOAH" followed by several little hands reaching toward the screen. The magic of childhood innocence. Fuck yes. :kickass:

pretty cool.

on the opposite end of the spectrum at the screening I was at, about half way through the movie two 60 something yentas walked in obviously trying to just get their rupees worth after It's Complicated must have finished.

needless to say they watched about half of Avatar with NO 3D glasses on ... and you all know what a 3D movie looks like without glasses.

pretty cool.

on the opposite end of the spectrum at the screening I was at, about half way through the movie two 60 something yentas walked in obviously trying to just get their rupees worth after It's Complicated must have finished.

needless to say they watched about half of Avatar with NO 3D glasses on ... and you all know what a 3D movie looks like without glasses.

Maybe they saw a penny roll in to the theater and were waiting for the lights to come on so they could find it?

But yeah, I took my glasses off a few times in the imax, and damn is the raw image nauseating.

Book Of Eli was awesome. Recently watched Smokin Aces 2...eh good fun nothing more. Gamer downright sucked. Pandorum was pretty good enjoyed it quite a bit. Ending was real cool.

I love the video f the Jersey Shore girl getting knocked out. Its glorious.

I think I am going to watch Pandorum tonight.

Russell, where are you and your obscure great movie recos?

The twist at the end was excellent and made a decent/good movie much better. Watched Air America again last night, love that movie. Also watched Gamer , what a fucking load of terrible shit that was. God I wanted it to end after 15 minutes.

didn't see this discussed yet, but THE ROAD was phenomenal. Was so glad it wasn't an action flick as somehow the trailer made it out to be.
anyone read the book?

"Once"

Not sure if its been discussed, but I loved it. The "theme" song, "Falling Slowly" gives me chills every time I hear it. Probably getting soft in my old age, but ohh well. Beautifully done movie.

yeah, it was a great, touching story with surprisingly well written music - even the self-deprecating joke song wasn't without it's merits

The Black Karate Kid! White's unite for a White Soul Plane directed by Plastic Nathrakh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moving on...someone discuss *Halloween 2* with me. Is this excellent film-making? Is this good? Shit? PURE shit? I can't really tell. The movie didn't do much for me - almost put me to sleep actually - but I wanted to commend Mr. Zombie for delving a little deeper what with the ghost of his Mom and the white horse and whatnot. But WHAT DID IT MEAN? Is *this* Michael Myers immortal or what?
It's not a great movie, but it definitely has flashes of greatness. The cinematography, which is something that's almost never given a thought in horror movies, was just stunning. Overall, I really appreciated Zombie's reimagining of this movie.

Here's the definition of "white horse" given prior to the start of the film:

White Horse - linked to instinct, purity and the drive of the physical body to release powerful and emotional forces, like rage with ensuing chaos and destruction. -- excerpt from The Subconscious Psychosis of Dreams

It seemed to me that if Michael wants to be reunited with his mother in death, he must first bring his sister with him.

Zod