Movies

Animal House - One of the most overrated comedies of all time. The only part that had me going was Belushi piling his plate high in the cafeteria. Whatever the medical community may contest, obesity is a laughing matter. The rest of this witless film lacks on all levels. No greater than Revenge of the Nerds. I'll place it right next to Porkies on the shelf of overrated comedic drivel that is exalted on the tenets of nostalgia. The first American Pie flogs it in terms of sophomoric hijinx.

Coming to America Another overrated comedy which I have been itching to see for many a calendar. I had always heard that this was one of Murphy's best works. (The list is short) Aside from the predictable foreigner sets foot in a rough New York neighborhood joke ("Fuck You" misinterpreted as a greeting), and the lovely scene which reveals three bare breasted Nubian servants washing his balls, this film was devoid of laughs. It also tended to languidly flow. I stepped away for 15 minutes to do dishes and it still felt like it went on for hours. Very bad casting to boot, where da white women at?

Now Carlito's Way, was a film that I thoroughly enjoyed. Many similarities to Scarface, but on a far cheesier scale. The ending at the train was all too predictable, plus the one liner by Benny Blanco after the "swerve" made a mockery of any tension placed on the love between Pacino and his dame. Nevertheless, a solid flick. Especially enjoyed the uneasiness created during the scene where Pacino's under the bar grabbing his dough and mobster douche Jr. is looking to dispatch him to the infernal regions of Cuba. Speaking of which, his accent is fucking dreadful. :erk:

yeah, good "serious" B-movie, watchable enough for what it is. The atmospheric build up in the first part really well done, but As soon as the dreadfully animated CGI beast appears, it's game over.

Aye, that beast is horrible. Not quite as laughable as when you finally see the monster in "The Village," though. Also, why does it almost always seem like French films were made in the 1970/80s even though they weren't? Not so much a problem as just an observation.

holy shit SHUTTER ISLAND was awesome. I don't know what you guys were smoking to say the ending was shit.
I am big Scorsese fanboy, but what I liked about it most was that it was a movie that if you didn't know it was Scorsese you would never guess. totally out of his element I thought.

fantastic atmosphere and story. the soundtrack was a major character.

Green Zone - The first 20 minutes seemed liked they were written by Tom Clancy. The remainder spiraled in to the same conspiratorial drivel that Hollywood usually churns out with a film set in this location. With Damon and the Director of the Bourne trilogy behind it, I don't see why they didn't expedite the fourth installment of that series instead of pushing this in to theaters. I'll still give it a C rating, as it held my attention throughout, though it was extremely derivative. The first several opening scenes is it's saving grace, it's all down hill after they storm "the meeting".

The 18 year old Virgin - A high school nerdstrom wishes to turn trollop in order to get with the Zach Morris type fellow she's been fiending since prepubescent days of yore. In order to have a shot, she needs to spread her legs quicker than butter on toast. Lad after lad, her dreams of bloodied coital inauguration go awry, as she finds herself sexual ill equipped to handle the various Lebowski lined up in front of her. I have yet to finish this film, but I'm already committed to saying that this is a worthy rental. I've chuckled atleast a half a dozen times to the "she"nanigans laid out before me. Good coming of age film for the raunch minded teen. (Unfortunately there isn't a teen amongst us haha)

Red Riding Trilogy - a trilogy of films originally shown on British TV Channel 4. Each one is set in a single year, 1974, 1980 and 1983, and tell a fictional story of corruption in the West Yorkshire police department around the time of the Yorkshire Ripper murders. Each film was directed by someone different, all shooting with a recurring cast and all from scripts written by Tony Grisoni, adapted from David Peace's Red Riding Quartet (1977 was written as a novel, but not adapted for the screen). This is a seriously engrossing five hours of film-making, with great performances from well-known Brit actors (Paddy Considine and David Morrisey in particular stand out, and even Sean Bean does excellent work as a menacing, powerful businessman with the force in his pocket). Not recommended if you're looking for a feelgood movie, however - by the end of 1983, the depths of evil plumbed leave you feeling somewhat soiled.

So I've been in the mood for a decent spy flick as of late. So gimme some recos, please! I will also accept spy-like action flicks with a lot of intrigue like the Bourne series.

weird, I can't think of any besides Spies like Us :loco:
i guess its a genre I don't follow (or don't really know what films fit it)