Movies

Lugosi's Dracula is cool..so is the Christopher Lee one. Suspiria, Last House on the Left, Zombi2 are pretty awesome 70s ones.

I'm talkin really old - like 50s and 60s. I've seen everything you guys have mentioned so far

Going to go catch Sicario on Monday. Local theater has a bar, and is adjacent to bar/restaurant. Catching a flick in a stupor is pretty grand.

o.jpg

Oh yes. I'm embarrassed that I forgot about that. It's one of my all-time faves. I believe NAD has watched a lot of the classics. Maybe he'll weigh in here.

Finest horror film ever made
Yep. I'd have to say that The Haunting is quite possibly my favoUrite horror movie ever.

Carnival of Souls is really awesome
Yep. I agree completely with this statement.

THE UNINVITED
This is really good, yes.

Not quite your standard horror, but Sunset Boulevard has one of the eeriest endings to any thing I have ever seen. Scary in a Mulholland Drive sort of way, from several decades earlier.

Other random ones from the era you seek:

Die, Monster, Die!
The City of the Dead
House on Haunted Hill
The Haunted Palace
Masque of the Red Death
13 Ghosts
Repulsion
The Creature from the Black Lagoon
Them!
The Fly

If you want even older, Freaks, Nosferatu, The Wolfman, and Dracula's Daughter are all quite stellar.

the devil's rejects

okay that was fucking awful. i liked house of 1000 corpses as good campy fun. great characters, good gore, and a story that never tried to be anything but what it was: pointless and quick. this sequel though, completely drawn out and overdone, and amazingly, even the EXACT SAME CHARACTERS were lame and uninspired. stuff like slow motion, cut scenes, and other useless crap was thrown in haphazardly and rather than setting a mood, made it look like a john woo flick. rob zombie is a fucking horrid actor. ugh. terrible terrible film. great soundtrack though.

zombie was in this movie? where?

i thought exact opposite, corpses was just too campy ... and this one just got it right ... great fucking cinematography also.

yeah nad, wtf is wrong with you

I mean seriously

wtf

poonani is clouding his judgement :lol:
9 years and 11 months later, I watched both of these films a second time each, and realized my folly. House of 1,000 Corpses is garbage, and The Devil's Rejects is actually pretty decent. Also clearly back then I had NO appreciation for Bill Moseley, which I certainly do now. Idiot. And, to answer the question, the only thing wrong with me is that period I spent not using the shift key. I mean, really, WTF was all that shit?

Other films (aside from DVDs in the collection) that I have watched since May of 2015:

Scream 1, 2, & 3 - The first is pretty damn good, the other two not bad. I'll watch 4 soon enough.

The Day the Earth Stood Still - The best science fiction movie ever done. Ever!

Atari: Game Over - If you're into video games, you should probably watch this.

What We Do in the Shadows - Utterly fantastic and hilarious send up of all things modern vampyre and werewolf tales. Highly recommend.

Constantine - I finally watched this after a decade of protesting the fact that John Constantine is not a dark haired American dude. Not bad! Not great.

The Thing - The new one, watched a second time. As a loving tribute to John Carpenter's masterpiece, it is a lovely film. Standing alone, it is a bit better than average.

Inside Llewyn Davis - I loathed the characters but loved the message.

Ex Machina - Best newish sci-fi I've seen in quite some time, highly highly recommend.

Kill List - Just as good as A Field In England but less esoteric. Very, very good. Movies like this are why I still watch new things. I loved it.

The Uninvited - Really only worth it for the special effects. But... it's old... and impressive for the time.

The Loft - This could have been good, but really took a poop at the end. An interesting style at least.

The Lunchbox - 5 Stars without question. A beautiful film in every way.

Freaks - Mandatory viewing for things weird. Absolute fantastic, and a mindblowingly good ending!

Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro - You can see where Miyazaki had a bunch of ideas that he would flesh out much, much better in later works. Still great of course, but nothing in comparison to his later films.

Jupiter Ascending - A very decorative piece of pop entertainment. Not much else to be said.

Kingsman: The Secret Service - Fun with beer. Ended with a shot of zooming into a hot chick's asshole. No, I'm not kidding. Pretty funny.

Green Street Hooligans - I think this is where whosits got his home turf practice for SAMCRO.

Dracula Untold - Man, nobody liked this, but dammit, I thought it was good. Great? No. Fun? Yes! People nut over all kinds of tripe that is way worse. Good high budget fun.

The Godfather - "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." Better every time I watch it.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 - Always enjoyable with absinthe. That's the tradition in my house.

Show Boat - Started off really slow. Got a little better. By the end it was fantastic.

Female Trouble - Oh man, this was great. Divine was divine. Not as good as Pink Flamingos, but really, nothing is!

The Great Race - Classic big Hollywood. Very well done, it would seem.

Daughters of Darkness - Really not very good other than the wifebeating scene, which has stuck with me for months.

Nightcrawler - I enjoyed this, but it just seemed to miss the mark, and I'm not sure why.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Pure. Fucking. DRIVEL. :puke:

Last night I saw Deathgasm at the Film Bar (is as name indicates, a theater with a bar, generally does art and hipster films, but also plays Classic and cult movies.)

Think Dead Alive meets Evil Dead meets the early Immortal videos. I laughed my ass off. Pretty sure about half this group will hate this movie, but the rest will appreciate the genuine love of metal meets campy gore. Four horns up