Movies

Orange County. Found it while browsing HBO. It wasn’t until 30 minutes in that I realized I had already seen it when it originally came out. It’s *that* bad and forgettable. I went ahead and finished the rest of it because I’m bored. Worth a watch if you want to see how bad movies could get in the early 2000s.

Shallow Hal is up next. I’m looking for peak Jack Black which, frankly, there probably isn’t such a thing since he did the exact same thing in every movie - weird little jumps and kicks with hand motions. If there is a peak I’m thinking it may be Saving Silverman where he added some twists to jumps and kicks.

Between pre-existing source material and sequels in franchises, superhero movies makes up most of the box office money over the last decade or so.

a hundred years from now
people are going to pinpoint the the first Blade movie, the first X-men movie and the first Spider-man movie as the movies that really set off the superhero movie craze

and in my head i'm imagining how the genres of the movies made by Hollywood would have gone in a totally different direction if those movies had either sucked or just hadn't existed

Heheh yeah I made it all the way to where Jack’s character is driving Colin Hank’s character to Stanford before I went “ohhhhh yeeeaahhhh I’ve seen this garbage”

I got a 15 minute rule. If the movie sucks balls after 15 minutes I pull the plug. Thankfully doesnt happen all that oft as Im extremely picky nowadays with my cinema. Not watching many films made in the last twenty years really helps as a preventative D.N.R mechanism.

Last film which I shit canned 10 mins in was the 2013 Judge Dredd remake. This was total shit in story and especially in the way it was shot. Cant fuggin stand that slow mo shit the Matrix made prevalent in hundreds of shitty action films done thereafter. Absolute abomination.

Take Shelter
This was a good one. Very minimalist but a good story with some dread, mystery, minor horror, and an ambiguous ending.

Reactions: lurch70
I watched *The Editor* on Shudder a few months ago and figured everyone here would love it. Check it out if you can. Watch some true giallo first though (ie Deep Red, Tenebrae, Black Belly of the Tarantula, etc) for maximal effect

*Fear Street: 1994*. Fun stuff. One nitpick: “More Human” didn’t come out until ‘95.

Otherwise tons of great early 90s references

Last edited:
Reactions: NAD
A Quiet Place 2

My daughter and I have bonding time during suspenseful thrillers like this. We both enjoyed it. But the best part was the very beginning showing the chaos on Day 1. Hopefully a part 3 is in the works because it ends on a cliffhanger

Reactions: dorian gray
Last three movies in brief.

Only The Brave- Firefighter flick that kicked fuggin ass. Im not fond of firefighters, most I know personally are fooqin douchebags. Anyhow this was based on the Yarnell Fire from a decade back that murked 19 crewmen. Great shit all around, no corniness. Firefighters acted just like real bros. Also had Jeff fn Bridges, dude is a stallion.

10/10

Fat City

Jeff Bridges in youthful form. Fanfuckingtastic boxing flick that heavily centered around the dysfunction of alcoholism. Dialogue was a triumphant, really grabs ye by the throat, especially the exchanges the main character Tully has with his alchy gal pal. Bitch is annoying af, but gripping. Bints really act like that, I know I was bred from one.

10/10 again

Last but not least

Marked for Death

Old School Steven Seagal kicking ass. Prime era action. Villains were a bunch of voodoo believin Jamaicanmons. Some nice Spanish tits sprinkled throughout as well.

8/10

I was entertained, but there were a few really bad acted scenes. Especially from Seagal's sister in the movie. Wish we got to see her tits, as they were huge. Aikido is also fraudulent as fuck, so a point deduction there. Seagal with weapons is cool though.