Music video for "the Day and then the shade"

I restrained myself from posting here when I saw the video the first time. Now I gave it a few more spins. aaand.. Its not that bad! Abstract and absurd is the only way to go when we're talking about a Katatonia music video. The goth chick is ok, just wish she didn't do that crawling so much. This video succeeds in drawing attention that's for sure. Its different. Give the video a few more tries, you owe it after all this bashing. It just shocks you at first that Katatonia personifys itself for the first time this straight-forward and edgy.

HAHA I sent an email to Lassie saying:

"What an amazing video you made for Katatonia. goth chicks coverd in spiderwebs and bugs! amazing stuff! How you manage to come up with this stuff is beyond me. It goes so well with the song too! I mean katatonia are all about goth chicks in the forest! you are a genius sir!"

and I got this reply:

"Thanks dude :)

xoxo"

HAHAHA

Reply back and tell him to sit on a popsicle.

Got the cd today. (dear oh dear...yes..indeed)
Not going to watch the video at all. Sadly...at least not until I've heard the song about a billion times. Of course..that will probably make me hate the video simply because the mind makes its own video out of listening to the music..and the video gets stronger in mind as song is played more and more. So why make a video then? Well....I don't really know myself anymore. I simply don't understand 90% of all music videos nowadays. I remember liking that one Prodigy video and Embers Fire by PL.

It's sad to hear the response. Cause ...well, we all want what is best for our good Kats...hmf..oh well, I'll return to this thread in a month's or two time.

haha, watched the new interview with anders and daniel today, anders says something like "we've only saw snippets of the video but i think its really great". Upon hearing this i just facepalmed haha

straight-forward and edgy

A goth chick (who looks very nice btw - but then I kinda like stuff like that) in some park thing, bugs and the other stuff stitched together pretty frantic cutting and lights..

No. Thats not edgy. If you think that's edgy I welcome you to last week. Or more last decade. But then again "edgy" is a blood stupid term.

WTs "Angels", even In Flames "Come Clarity" are better because while being cheesy and often downright silly they have coherence, a relation to the song and the band in it.

Tool can get away with that stuff because they reinvented being pretentious.

Haven't watched more than a few seconds, but I don't see what it has to do with Tool in the slightest.

Haven't watched more than a few seconds, but I don't see what it has to do with Tool in the slightest.

The only connection I get to Tool from this music video is from Tool's "Stinkfist" video. The 'sandlady' in that video starts shaking her head and arms very erratically just like the chicks in this video do. And the goth chicks in this video are puking up black ectoplasm and at the start of Tool's "Parabola" music video, there are some weird fireburn-victim looking guys puking up this black goo in a circle on a table. :ill: Both are disturbing, but those are the only connections to Tool I can see.

Madr0x, that is hilarious!! :lol: I cannot believe that he could not sense the sarcasm in your email.
Jack

Tool can get away with that stuff because they reinvented being pretentious.
I'm not sure if "pretentious" is really the best way to describe stop-motion videos about addiction, or child rape. I'm not what you would call a Tool fanboy, but both Sober and Prison Sex are some of the best music videos I've ever seen.

The Katatonia video isn't great, but I've never really seen them as a video kind of band. Lasse's work with Steven Wilson on the Insurgentes Documentary is beautiful, and his album art isn't bad.

The Tool comparison is completely out of order. Tool have very cryptic lyrics in general, so they have a lot more freedom in making music video's. Tool video's suit the music axcellent. They're weird, strange, awesome. Much like their music. They also don't randomly flash "photogenic" shots all over the place; they use nice, original "theme's" if you will which totally add to the enjoyment of the music

Yep, the Tool videos are by far the best I've seen. One of the only bands that I actually anticipate new videos from.

Well.
The thing is, Tool does the full package. Literally. The artwork, the music, the lyrics, the videos. Its all somewhere between genius and just fucking around, bevause by now Tool can do ANYTHING. They don't have to make sense anymore because they are shrouded in, well, tool-ness. So it doesn't actually matter if a video seems to have nothing to do with the lyrics, maybe you just haven't understood them or they should contrast or.. really, whatever. Its hard to tell when they are being their usual artsy self or just screwing around for giggles (Die Eier von Satan I always felt belong firmly in the fucking around category).

That would be the worst option. Once a video hits the big Internet cloud it's all done, it's nearly impossible to take it back. If by chance it happens, people would start saying "hey, that video was sooo bad they had to take it back, ha ha! (Nelson style)!" (well, in that trollish language I shall not use here)

So let's hope next single will have a decent video.