my dad likes opeth

^me too.

My dad always asks "What is this?" when I'm listening to Opeth, so at least he's somewhat interested, but usually he seems to lose that interest as soon as the growls kick in.

^It's usually the same with my Dad. He enjoys Damnation, Isolation Years, To Bid you Farewell, Face of Melinda, Hours of Wealth, and other similar songs. But as soon as the growling and double bass comes on it's all over for him. He loves Mike's clean vocals though.

I'm guessing it's more of the generation gap that kills someone 30+ not liking Growling/Death vox. They were so used to something different that they can't adjust.

My mom seems to enjoy Damnation...but none of the heavy stuff...not even the 'softer' heavy stuff like 'a fair judgement'

seeing as it was my first Opeth album (along with deliverance) I'd say i have a bit of a soft spot for it as well...mainly because while the death growls are great, i've always preferred Mikael's clean vocals (theyre amazing)

she also enjoys isolation years, but thats about it for GR

You know the funny thing is my dad is the one who got me into Opeth.

Not only that but Children of Bodom, Nile, Dark Tranquility, Cradle of Filth, Borknagar, Dream Theater, etc.

He has been to every Heavy Metal concert that has come to Melbourne.

The fortunate thing about having a dad that also likes Heavy Metal is that he buys most of the cds/dvds and he will willingly buy me Heavy Metal t-shirts.

I guess my dad is pretty cool.

My dad is just as passionate about music as he ever was. He isn't really a metal fan at all, but he got me into loads of cool bands like Radiohead, Portishead, Pink Floyd, and many others. Then I got into Opeth, and I let him hear them because they absolutely blew my mind. And, aside from the growls, he thinks they're nearly flawless. Even the heavy parts, he loves. He also concedes that they're the best band going at the moment. He just doesn't get the growls.
I think that's pretty cool, considering that he's 58!

Illnath said:
o_O Satanic stuff? There are only a few people I know that likes Opeth

Satanic?! If you think OPETH is satanic you may as well walk to you local church, slap the preacher in his face, call HIM satanic for talking about the devil. If you can't see that heaven and hell are charged issues, you might want to go back to pre-school and play with some crayons and people more of your cognitive capacty.

P.S.- My dad does like OPETH.

def. a younger crowd on these boards now....I remember when there was a sticky about tiem time GR was gonna be released adn it pretty much said that we will be expecting a lot of new fans...adn we shoudl all be nice to them....adn its noce to see everyoen gettin along nice and all....!!!!......as for ure question...well my dad loves music...but the traditional Pakistani or Arabic stuff....he could not stand opeth at al....he hasnt heard'em but I kow he wont like'em...unless i start wiht the mellow stuff.....he'll def. dig that I think........Keep rockin....PEAC EOUT

My dad, whose 61, is not a fan of metal, but he at least appreciates Opeth's musical abilities and even likes damnation and most of their lighter material. Impressive for a metal band, since every other band I like drives him nuts.

My parents don't have the attention span for anything other than ITV detective shows with mismatched partners and bad pun names... hahaha, they used to like "cool" music back in the day, but they certainly wouldn't have the patience to listen to 10+ minute songs, which is sad.