Even my MOM likes Opeth!?!!?!

Yeah, not just my Mom but my Dad too. Granted, I've got really cool parents who like stuff like Pantera, Down (even went and seen them in concert). I never in my life thought they would dig opeth, but they do.

This past weekend I played them some of "Watershed" and they fell in love with "Coil" and "Porcelain Heart". They didn't like "Heir Apparnt" too well because they don't really understand the growling, but still....my freakin parents even like Opeth! My Mom is even gonna go as far as picking up a copy of "Watershed"!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

My mom likes Josh Groban, but white people from kansas like that sort of shit.

My mom is a kind of Jesus freak and any music that involves electric guitar is satanic music made by the devil himself so, no, she doesn't like Opeth or any metal band I like. Twice she dumped cds I ordered in the trash can without telling me. First one was Deicide - Legion, second one, Seth - L'excellence. She's so funny, I love her, she's my mom!

My parents quite like damnation, I've introduced them to a fair bit of music I'm into and they like a fair bit of it, anathema, sigur ros, radiohead, early scott walker, paatos, heaps of folk like empyrium and tenhi for example, drudkh- songs of grief and solitude, eluvium, later ulver are some that come to mind.

Why so surprised? I'm a married father of four (including a teenage daughter). I'm a big Opeth fan, saw them in concert last month, and bought the Watershed SE cd on the day it came out.

It's simply the older generation.
What you grow up with helps shape what you will be as an adult.
Did you get married and have kids rather young? Like in your late teens/early 20's?

Yeah, I got married at 22. Right after I graduated college, before I went to grad school. I'm 35 now. I grew up listening to Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath.

Granted, I've got really cool parents who like stuff like Pantera, Down (even went and seen them in concert). I never in my life thought they would dig opeth, but they do.

This past weekend I played them some of "Watershed" and they fell in love with "Coil" and "Porcelain Heart". They didn't like "Heir Apparnt" too well because they don't really understand the growling, but still....my freakin parents even like Opeth! My Mom is even gonna go as far as picking up a copy of "Watershed"!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Interesting, they like Pantera and Down, but they don't like growling...

Anyway, sounds like you've got some cool parents. My mother took me to my first metal show back in 1984, Judas Priest! I'm now 40 years old, and that's something that I will never forget.

Interesting, they like Pantera and Down, but they don't like growling...

Anyway, sounds like you've got some cool parents. My mother took me to my first metal show back in 1984, Judas Priest! I'm now 40 years old, and that's something that I will never forget.

Well, there's a fairly large difference between Phils' vocal delivery (especially on the new Down album) and Mikael's. Phil's is more of a scream/sing whereas Mikael's tends to be a demonic growl and they just can't get into that

My parents are OK, they actually don't dig them but they don't mind if I listen to them, at least I don't get "wtf is this shit" like when I'm playing Deathspell Omega.

My main concern is actually that no girls here like Opeth, or, heck, any good band, really, they don't even know who Pink Floyd are.

I'm always trying to get friends and family into Opeth.My friend,who is into all that R'n'B and mainstream stuff actually enjoyed some of the stuff from Damnation,nothing beyond that.My mum labelled Damnation as 'pleasent' also.She'd never listen to anything like Deliverance or Orchid in a million years though.Failed with my brother so far,dosen't like anything from them but he is into all that horrible kids pop-punk material(bands like Paramore and New Found)so it's no suprise he hasn't appreicated the genuis yet!

I'm a parent as well...and both my daughters love Opeth and they are only 5 and 3 (because I made them listen to it). My ex-wife hates Opeth, but she can go suck a cock. *my kids live with me*

Both my parents love Opeth.
They've both been into them pretty much since I showed them.
They've got good taste. They love Metallica too, and In Flames, Dream Theater, Kamelot, HammerFall, Dimmu Borgir and pretty much everything else I listen to.

Good shit.