My favorite CD of all-time...

What's my favorite CD? Hahahaha, my God you might as well ask me to figure out the last digit of pi! :loco:

Still, I love this post because it has made me think about a subject I haven't thought about in a LONG time -- what is my FAVORITE CD? Well after much internal debate, thinking "yeah it's this one" and then thinking "no wait, it's THIS one", only to change directions again I am going to have to declare that "Moving Pictures" by Rush is my favorite CD.

I remember back in high school someone sold me very cheaply a cassette of Rush called "All The World's A Stage". I was simply amazed at what I heard. About that same time I was made aware that Rush had a new album out called "Moving Pictures" with a song called Tom Sawyer that I simply had to hear. I clearly remember going after school to the Mongomery Ward (anyone remember them) department store to by the "Moving Pictures" cassette. I took it home, popped it into the old cassette player, and DAMN those first few notes of Tom Sawyer grabbed me and would not let go. The rest of the album was the same way. Looking back I have to give this album all the credit for expanding my rock horizons immensely and I began to not only build up my Rush album collection but sought out and found other great bands as well that I either had only a passing knowledge of or hadn't even heard of before. To this day, Rush remain my favorite band.

In terms of number of listens since at that time my album collection was very small "Moving Pictures" was played over and over and over. Though I now have a ton of CDs and "Moving Pictures" hasn't been dusted off and played in awhile (although that will soon be rectified) I'd wager that I have given this album more listens over the span of time than I have any other album. :headbang:

As well they should.:loco:

Honestly, I think it's an age thing. I don't know a single person raised on Roth-era VH who prefers Sammy. I think it comes down to when you discovered the band.

Zod
My two favorites from Van Halen are 1984 and 5150 ... back to back discs with different singers .. go figure. All in all though I never was a huge fan of that band.

Britt

Honestly, I think it's an age thing. I don't know a single person raised on Roth-era VH who prefers Sammy. I think it comes down to when you discovered the band.

I think I agree... or maybe when you really started really *listening* to them... I listened to Roth-era first... it was hard not to... but when I really started *listening* ('88-'89)was Hagar, and Hagar is hence preferred. I think it depends on what you're looking for... they are 2 different bands. Since I prefer the more melodic stuff and have always listened to the lyrics I think are why I prefer the Sammy years.

Yeah, but Roth was a near genius for coming up with ways to sing to the music that Eddie was giving him hehe.

I grew up with Hagar and prefer Roth-era by far - I just happen to love 5150. Everything that came after it had their moments but for the most part are far inferior the carefree stadium rockers of the Roth era.

Jason

UFO - "Strangers in the Night"

No filler, just great tunes one right after another. Anthems, melodic songs, B-side classics, Schenker, Mogg, etc. Always comes with me on vacations, bike trips, etc. Don't leave home without it!

Honorable mentions to Kiss "Alive!" and Rush "All The World's A Stage"...

This is hard. either Van Halen - Fair Warning or Black Sabbath - Mob Rules....I will go with Van Halen - Fair Warning. Perfect VH record. They were in their prime and enjoyed being together. Plus I was just a wee youngster in Jr. High, :headbang:

I grew up with Hagar and prefer Roth-era by far - I just happen to love 5150. Everything that came after it had their moments but for the most part are far inferior the carefree stadium rockers of the Roth era.
The Roth era was just so unique. There's not a band that sounded like VH, before or after. Songs like "Simple Rhyme", "Take Your Whiskey Home", "Ice Cream Man", etc. gave the band a playful quirkiness. You just never knew where a song or an album was headed. That aspect of the band was lost with the departure of Roth and was replaced by paint-by-number commercial rock. And while it was quality commercial rock, it was commercial rock just the same.

Zod

Zod

in all the music i prefer, i usually lean towards the bands with the guys who have the best, or most beautiful voices i guess you could say.

there is no doubt that sammy's voice was better than roth's, but roth's era had the attitude and more good music. it might have to do with me being a lot younger, but i actually first listened to the band by roth cds.

i really like both era's of VH and overall i enjoy the roth era more, just 5150 is the only cd VH ever put out that makes it into my top 10 cds list.

Jason

i feel the same

the roth era was definitely better, but 5150 is just my fav cd by them.

The Roth era was just so unique. There's not a band that sounded like VH, before or after. Songs like "Simple Rhyme", "Take Your Whiskey Home", "Ice Cream Man", etc. gave the band a playful quirkiness. You just never knew where a song or an album was headed. That aspect of the band was lost with the departure of Roth and was replaced by paint-by-number commercial rock. And while it was quality commercial rock, it was commercial rock just the same.

QFT

First off, Zod, you highjacked your own thread!! :lol:

I keep my top 5 pretty constant. But #1 is STREETS by Savatage. I had the CD 2 years before it started kicking in. The music literally had a big part in changing my life for the better.

My other four, in no particular order are:

Master of Puppets - Metallica
Gutter Ballet - Savatage
Appetite for Destruction - Gunners
The Edge - EtX

Peace,
Chris :headbang:

Iron Maiden -Seventh Son of a Seventh Son-Amazing album at amazing time period of my life(second time seeing IM met Steve,Nicko,and A.Smith) So that has alot to do with it!

Umm... after one listen (finally got to listen to it...) In Flames - Lunar Strain.

My favorite is subject to change. But this album is just fucking incredible. Better than anything else In Flames or Dark Tranquility (since it has DT's singer), ever put out afterwards. And that's saying a lot since I'm an In Flames fanboy I guess (since I like all the albumsl).