Name some albums/bands you can't stand but get endless praise.

Justin_BORK

Drowning in Grey
Dec 8, 2004
New Hampshire
Vise versa if you want. (albums you love that most people hate)

If possible, Please refrain from mentioning the obvious mainstream music we know you probably don't enjoy anyways.

Go!

so an overrated/underrated thread, eh?

Oh well, Meh-shuggah sucks ass. I guess people like sucking ass along with them.

oh cool i hate everything

weakling
neurosis
absu
orphaned land
anthrax
megadeth
mercyful fate
deicide
cannibal corpse
rotting christ
death
carcass
napalm death
emperor
obituary
hypocrisy
mastodon
converge
meshuggah
soilwork
lamb of god
aryan terrorism
pain of salvation
vital remains
edge of sanity
green carnation
dream theater
symphony x
lykathea aflame
mayhem
ulver
destroyer 666
suffocation
xasthur
leviathan
etc.

Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry

A fairly controversial choice. Not that I can’t stand it but their earlier efforts were better in my opinion.

Doomwatcher said:
Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry

A fairly controversial choice. Not that I can’t stand it but their earlier efforts were better in my opinion.
Completely agree.

Mayhem, Darkthrone, Metallica, Megadeth, Led Zeppelin, Anthrax, Anything by Mike Patton, Isis, The Mars Volta. kthx.

I think Monika Edvardsen is horribly underrated while the cliche goth/operatic female singers in metal get all the praise.

It depends where you are as to which Slayer album is most popular. RiB isn't my favourite, certainly.

I don't really think there's a lot between Arghoslent's full-lengths, IB just happens to be a little catchier and more energetic so it has more fans.

Judas Priest, whether you like them or not, had such a huge influence on metal it's difficult to call them 'overrated'.

The big spaz award goes to JP though - Esoteric are superb.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Judas Priest, whether you like them or not, had such a huge influence on metal it's difficult to call them 'overrated'.
Too true.

The big spaz award goes to JP though - Esoteric are superb.

Yeah. A superb cure for my insomnia. If I want Doom (y'know, actual Doom), I'll listen to Candlemass, kthnx lolz. :D ;)

EDIT: Then again, I've only heard Esoteric's most recent album. Are their other albums better?

Oh I agree, they had a lot of influence, I just can't stand them.

Hmm, Esoteric's newest album is probably the closest they've been to "traditional" funeral doom. The older records are less accessible and more distorted, if you can imagine that. I haven't followed this band's career very closely, but this is what I've heard from fairly reputable sources.

My favorite Slayer album is Hell Awaits, but their best songs are on RIB. I just am tempted to hit the skip button by some of the lesser tracks on that album.

Judas Priest has been around too long. Their last two decades were definitely not as productive as their first.

Incorrigible Bigotry was the first Arghoslent album to be widely distributed, so of course it gets talked about more than their others. It's a fine album, but I agree not their very best.

Ulver is a strange one. While it is true that Garm is despicable, Nattens Madrigal is judged too harshly by most black metal fans. Ulver was not innovative and they worked within a template established by other bands, but on a strictly compositional level, it's stronger than most albums I see praised. I often see it called a populist effort, but I don't think this criticism holds water musically.

I agree with most of the bands I've seen so far, so carry on. ;) I suspect that this one will turn ugly, though.

Songs like "Necrophobic" and "Jesus Saves" bore the crap out of me, Hell Awaits is very consistant in comparison. I'd argue that only "Raining Blood" is better than the best 3 or 4 songs on Hell Awaits.

I concede that a lot of Priest's albums are overrated, but it's difficult to overrate the band's importance at their peak.

I don't like the Ulver I've heard very much but I haven't heard any of their 'BM' albums fully, so I don't think I should comment.

Esoteric's "The Pernicious Enigma" is impeccable, better than their new one (though that rules too).