Need help with parents

Leroyk

THRASHER
May 26, 2010
Thrashlavanyia
My parents think just about all of my music is satanic and evil. Such as bands like Dark Angel Coroner Sepultura Bathory(i know there satanic but i still love them) Violence and Sodom. I dont care if it is ,but what should i tel to my parents about it?

Sacrifice them to Satan.

On a more serious note though, i've had the same problem as you, but i just kept listening to my metal, and after a while my mom just gave up when she realized just how much metal meant to me.

So i sugest you do the same. trust me, they'll give up.

Just tell them: the music means a lot to you and you're not a satanist or a bad person. Tell them in metal (assuming your band isn't Queensryche) the lyrics aren't don't play a huge role in the music anyways. It's not what's 'important'. The rhythms, the riffs, the performance are what counts the most.

Mix a little Tourniquet or Extol or Stryper, etc into the rotation to keep them guessing

Good advice from Dagon666. Persevere and you will win. They are just going through a phase. ;)

Believe me I know, I am 52. :headbang:

Earn their respect showing them that listening to those bands (or worse LOL) doesn't change you as a person. I don't know your age but I'm sure you can prove them wrong rationally showing them the truth: being a metalhead doesn't turn you into Allisteir Crowley, the same way a hip-hop fan will not necesarilly turn into a gangsta.

My father touched the subject once and drop it when I told him there was no such nosense. My mother told me once I'm a hysterical guy since I listen to hysterical music, I just give her the glance and the subject was never discussed again.

I listened to metal since I was 16 and I grew up to be an average joe who still listens to metal all day long. Tell your parent to talk to me if needed.

thanks guys for all the help. Im still in the convincing stage and trying to convince my dad to take me to Death Angel. He said its bad cuz they have"death" name in there but whatever ill be going to that concert one way or another.

My parents think just about all of my music is satanic and evil. Such as bands like Dark Angel Coroner Sepultura Bathory(i know there satanic but i still love them) Violence and Sodom. I dont care if it is ,but what should i tel to my parents about it?

One thing I can suggest is to try and be more intelligent than your parents. Certain songs by some bands can be easily interpreted as having very pro Christian lyrics. That is not a bad thing even if you are religious or not as it can just give you different perspectives on things. vanden Plas is a good example. They are far from a "Christian" band, but in several songs, they express certain spiritual aspects in their music that relate well to the Christian religion.
In other words, don't fight "heaven" with "hell" but try to fight it with heaven. I am probably closer to the age of your parents than I am you, and I can tell you, that I seriously doubt a teenager is going to change my mind as far as my philosophical views. However, if a teenager can add and expand to the views that I already have, I will respect that person tremendously.
Find some Christian metal that you like and share it with your parents. I am not saying listen to that exclusively, but learn it well enough to sing it to them. It really doesn't matter if you "get" the message or not. I am not particularly religious, but I have listened to some Christian music, because your religion doesn't make you less of a musician, and in fact, inspires often.
Having said all of that, I don't expect you to become Christian, nor those bands to become your favorites, but it may give you an advantage on most of us who don't know the Christian metal world. There may be some bands out there that are incredible.

Bryant

I used more covert tactics. Not sure if they helped. I would come home to find the earphones on my Walkman warm and the tape not in the same spot so I knew my music was being screened. I started leaving tapes in queued to ballads or other less offensive songs. Then there were days like when they found the lyrics to Reign In Blood in one of my school folders. Whatever, they get used to it.

I think Max Cavalera (formerly?) of Sepultura has some interesting views on religion, so you could always formulate some sort of argument based on the personal views of the individual band members. Just try and find redeeming features in each of the bands you listen to and then "showcase" the features of the bands to your parents. Hell, it worked for me.

Ask them if they watch violent, or scary movies themselves, that have evil characters, or gore in them. They know that's just art, expression or entertainment, pretend/make believe, right? Well, so are most of the bands out there; just entertainment. Most bands out there do the same everyday things we all do......have back-breaking jobs, are accountants, go to college, have kids, etc. Last time I checked, none of those bands have darkened the earth, or caused armageddon.

Ask them if they watch violent, or scary movies themselves, that have evil characters, or gore in them. They know that's just art, expression or entertainment, pretend/make believe, right? Well, so are most of the bands out there; just entertainment. Most bands out there do the same everyday things we all do......have back-breaking jobs, are accountants, go to college, have kids, etc. Last time I checked, none of those bands have darkened the earth, or caused armageddon.

Your right! thank you so much im gonna try telling them this today