Nepal!!!

I remember about 4 years ago someone from Malaysia sent me a compilation cd and some tapes for local bands there. one band was called "Another Side", they were like dark death metal, not grinding or very fast but anyway... It was very interesting to hear.

It's so cool to see that even in Nepal there are people in true metal. This is fucking rad!

To all you people in Indonesia, Malaysia, Nepal, China, etc etc. ROCK ON MY BROTHERS!!!

I thought that in Malaysia etc it is illegal to have a band gig? And you can be arrested or beaten by police?

A Malaysian guy once wanted my old band to tour Malaysia. That would have been nice :), but he said it is dangerous for foreigners (?). We could get all of our gear stolen, or arrested by the police.

Is this true?

Anyway, I just wanted to say its very interesting to know that metal is alive in even remote places of the world.

I wonder if there is Egyptian metal? HEHEHE :)

Someone needs to start a serious doom scene in Asia besides Japan. Even their doom scene doesn't seem to be as popular in Asia as it is in Europe.

The important thing, in my view, is to find a voice through metal to explain your culture and your place within it. Maybe a whole new kind of doom metal based on Buddhist chants.

Any metal will do, though. Generating interest in the scene is a great task in itself.

metal in nepal? no future, because the metalists in nepal just suck. all they do is cover bands like pantera and sepultura instead of playing something original. X-mantra and dead soul are bullshit.cobweb is what i call pop-metal.
albatross seems to be pretty good.
overall? metal sucks.it's a victim of materialism and is tooooo commercial.moreover, metalists in nepal are nothing but posers! hardcore punk is the best there is. propagandhi, the vandals, NOFX, fugazi, minor threat, guttermouth are the ones who truly rule. too sad, unlucky SOBs are hardly lucky to get them in nepal. rai ko ris the best band in nepal. bands that really care about our country's situation and whose music we can relate is exactly what we need! just go get the rai ko ris album. guygou and 5th grade dropouts are good too.
rock on.

Thank you. Have you, or anyone else reading this, been to Jazzmandu? It looks like a good party.

In response to your previous post:

I think that cover bands are annoying, but essential to the birth of a scene. The worst thing about cover bands, in my opinion, is that they don't go away. They, often, continue to do what they've been doing because they're an established crowd pleaser. They keep getting invited back to bars and clubs for the same reason. They're not hooked on materialism because they're playing metal, they're hooked because they play cover songs which people enjoy and have found a materialist window. They're not necessarily bad people just for taking advantage of that window, though. Maybe they've got kids to feed and it sure beats workin' in a factory.

I fully agree that something original is needed to make a scene worth a damn. I agree that Nepal needs bands who care about and relate to Nepal. (I also believe that every town should have musicians who relate to the town and care about the whole world.) I don't give a rat's ass what genre people give it as long as it does the trick.

You seem to have a strong punk is cool, metal sucks attitude. (you only list one Nepalese punk band which I, and other readers I'm sure, think is your own.) Is the rift between the two genres very strong in Nepal? Do they play at the same places? Do jazz bands play at these places? Is there traditional music being played nearby at the same time?

I think that all the variety of Kathmandu should be brought together to create a truly unique and powerful cultural music scene.

jazzmandu rocks!! better go to The Jazz Bar in Hotel Shangrila , it's the best place for jazz in nepal. moreover, jazzmandu is here!! Jatra Ma Jazz.
as for metal in nepal, the way i see it, for nepalis it's cool either to listen to hiphop or metal. most of these posers who call themselves metalists are just immature brats who think it's cool listening to pantera( and all they say is 'cowboys from hell').
metal is somthing that you really have to respect and admire. the market with its enormously powerful technologies of penetrating the mind and shaping attitudes has tamed metal. these rebellious minds seek the icons that justify the rebellion. today the meaning of rebellion is changed from a struggle against inequality to a search to be different. the posers looking cool in sepultura t-shirts join the ranks of the sophisticates who run the world according to their convenience. we have and will continue to have mobs of posers keeping alive the image of metal while they discard the memory of its legacy. they think they are more in sync with the time by listening to megadeth and wearing the profile with the beret in the comfort of familiar haunts.
kathmandu is a pop city. what sounds 'nice" is all people care about and continue encouraging these talentless pop icons who have been gifted with a good voice and continue to make people think that love is all they need.(love is all they talk about)
as Tom Morello said- "things like rebellion and resistance to authority are absolutely as much a part of the human experience as love and cars are and it's a pet that doesn't get covered very much in pop music." in a country like ours, we need to educate ourselves, tear ourselves away from mass mentality ad go sidedways in society when so many others only go 'forward'. in our torn country, we need bands that bridge the gap between entertainment and activism, that tackles controversial political and social issues in their lyrics. we need a nepali Rage Against The System.
'this world is like a malfunctioning machine and we are all cogs against our will. we have to know better than to saty in our prescribed places, we have to rebel against the machine and then build a new one- ourselves. we can be the free cogs with a new contraption- a machine with no controlle and no operator. a mechanism of freedom. ' - RATM

Most of these "posers" to which you keep referring are teenagers, right?

I share your hatred for the nightmare that is mass culture and the marketing which drives it. I also share your respect for RATM.

I've got an idea. A couple of traditional local percussionists, a low bass drone, an electric guitar, and a socially and politically driven rapper who raps in Nepali.

first of all im in my teens myself.
secondly, that hungersite was pretty good.

Rai Ko Ris is not my band.
but they are probably the best band in nepal that is less commercial
and more about music and the nepali situation.the only real HARDCORE
PUNK band in south asia.
they have just started an online newsletter/zine called Himalayan Frost
Bite. contains info mainly for nepalis, to read about what's going on
in d.i.y music/politico activism and how to access more info on it.
they have also just released their second album GUERRILLA. it's a 17
cassette release priced at rs. 50.
as for Ugrakarma, they're the funniest metal band that seem to be
afraid of singing their songs properly. Albatross and nastik are
probably the only good metal bands around in this part of the world.
the reason that metal is not flourishing properly here is because all
we get in the shops are records of commercial bands like metallica,
megadeth etc. while there are so many great underground bands.
i've got no problem with metal but it's the metal posers in nepal
that make me sick.
just brought a Mudvayne record which was pretty good. Cradle of Filth
make no sence. hats off for vinnie paul and dimebag.dave mustane is
god. strict anti-metallica, the whole band sucks.
we need better equipments that are not so expensive.
anyone's heard of Kasih Sayang in Malaysia??
anyone's got a good bass zoom in kathmandu???

Why not start a thread on Kasih Sayang?

I think you hit the nail on the head when you complaned of the lack of options. I think that fighting between genres only helps the 'mass' genre which is the real enemy. I think that all music lovers should unite to support all the 'underground' music movements.

To be fair, I'm a drunk of an Irish-American whom most people on this forum choose to avoid. You may be well advised to avoid me too. :]

notice for the prople in nepal

3rd april
Rock Terrorists II d.i.y benefit gig
>Time: 2pm
>Venue: Buddha Bar, Thamel
>(opposite KC's restaurant)
>Entrance: 50 rupees
>25% of proceeds for free food and medical for the homeless.
>Guests: Amnesty International
>(campaign for human rights)

>Featuring the bands:
>Justice Nowhere (hardcore spitfire youth attack)
>Sam (from US, blues harmonica solo)
>Rai Ko Ris & Bodh (thrash n' burn)
>Propaganja (punky reggae skunks)

>Cds, zines, cassettes on sale (non profit

It's people into the actual metal lifestyle that create the best metal.

As for me, I feel a bit strange sometimes since no one around me listens to what I do (powermetal) and I have to do everything myself.
I respect X-Mantra for believing in what they want to do and doing it... sure they too may spread just the 'brutal' image of metal - but they ARE doing something ;)
Iman Shah's "Drishty" was a very well-attempted, well-mastered project with good riffs and vocals. It's not powermetal, it's not melodic metal - it's nothing I'm into... but it's a start.

And I don't see where punk is even close to metal - they're never and can never be comparable. Both are two different lifestyles i'd imagine.

Also, "Metal has no future in Nepal", I can prove you wrong ;) Just give me some time with my project Atlantis to come out a bit :D I say, heck ofcourse the metal scene in Nepal is indigestibly pathetic... but if we try, and if we're dedicated - it can always proper. We dont need TONS of people into metal - that's not the charm. Those who are into it and enjoy the lifestyle and are happy with it - those are the people who will form the metal community.

The others? I'd imagine we can let them be :) and respect their opinion.

And finally... and I can't emphasize this enough... metal is, and never was, about being cool. But I imagine you all knew that.

Cheers :)

Damn, that looks like a really cool show, Theashis. I've never heard of such an activist show at such a grass roots level. It seems to me that that kind of approach can do a lot more to help the thoroughly fucked than these bullshit mtv shows can do. Are there other shows like that? If I ever go on a world tour, I want to make a full circuit of shows like that one. Damn that's cool!

Do they sell beer there? If so, do you know if that is counted in the 25%?

Be sure to tell us how the show goes.