Neurosis anyone?

They're ok. To be honest I think they are a bit hit and miss. The make extremly experimental apocalyptic metal. I've heard some of their stuff that I love but then I've heard other stuff of theirs that I just don't get.

If I may quote A.C. "anyone who likes (dillenger escape plan) also like neurosis and dicks up his ass." They are the originators of that horrible noise core shit. Picture dillenger escape plan trying to sound epic. Neurosis sucks, they sound nothing like Opeth and nothing like music.

Meh, I knew a big hardcore/metalcore fan that was really into them. Gave them a shot but didn't really find it interesting, although that was a while ago... maybe I'd find them better upon listening to them again.

Antipath said:
If I may quote A.C. "anyone who likes (dillenger escape plan) also like neurosis and dicks up his ass." They are the originators of that horrible noise core shit. Picture dillenger escape plan trying to sound epic. Neurosis sucks, they sound nothing like Opeth and nothing like music.

It's true they sound nothing like Opeth, but the rest of that is fucking retarded. They're nothing like DEP, who are also an excelllent band, but very hard to get into, so I could understand someone saying THEY'RE not music. The only thing the two bands have in common is I see them both called noisecore sometimes, which is a pretty abused genre.

Anyway, I imagine most people would find Neurosis really boring, but anyone turned off by their doomier stuff might like Souls at Zero, since it still has echoes of their hardcore punk origin so it's faster and less repetitive. But as a heads up, anyone whose musical taste starts and stops with genres that are one word followed by "metal" probably won't like that either.

There are few bands whose opinions on music (or on anything else for that matter) are more irrelevant than those of a band like A.C.

Neurosis' music is more soundscape oriented than song oriented so it works best to just listen to a whole album rather than individual songs if you want to check them out. And it requires some patience (how much patience exactly depends on which album you start with, I've owned Through Silver In Blood for about 3 years now and I still find it quite difficult to listen to).

As Hondo pointed out Souls at Zero is a relatively straight forward (compared to their other stuff) heavy album that would be a good starting point if you like that sort of thing. And it has Takeahnase on it which is just one of their best tracks ever. If you can stomach ambient/soundscapes then I'd start with A Sun That Never Sets (don't get me wrong, that's plenty heavy too) and move on from there if you enjoy it.

You might also give the two most recent releases of Isis a try (Oceanic and Panopticon). They're kind of similar but also very different and in my opinion a little easier to stomach (Isis is more organic/melodic sounding whereas Neurosis is more bone-crushing and grinding sounding).

Just remember to give it a few spins before you decide whether or not you like them.

one word: disturbing.

and thats why they are good, thats what they intent to be. they were here way before dillenger escape plan (who play a VERY different style from neurosis).

if you're into ambient, experimental, really DARK stuff, then yeah you'll like them. it's true they used to play hardcore in their earlier days.

through silver in blood is a great place to start with. then there's also the album they did with jarboe. aaa should play that one now. oo la la

I heared ;) a few songs from that Jarobe/Neurosis collabortation and I must say I liked them. I used one of them as a soundtrack for one of my short films.

oh man some of you are idiots. Neurosis is amazing and I thank them so much for creating the noise "shit." DEP shit? Get new ears fool.

*note: youre not an idiot if you dont like the music, but to talk shit on them especially when saying they sound like a band they sound nothing like, is fucking stupid.

yes that is a very good album, I love every second of it. But you should check out their other stuff too as it's quite different... still got taht "neurosis" sound though.... "A Sun That Never Sets" is a good mix of their sound.