Nevermore needs to write a some about American human shields in Iraq!!!!!!

Originally posted by the alumnus
globalization benefits all. "a rising tide lifts all boats".

I don't see how globalization would benefit anyone besides the corporations by providing them with ridiculously cheap third-world labor, by helping them break ties with all government control, letting them invest in stocks and bonds instead of investing in the real economy, making it easier for them to evade taxes, etc. etc. Or maybe you think, by hiring workers in some third-world country and paying them $1 a month they're doing them a favor?

Originally posted by Guerrilla
I don't see how globalization would benefit anyone besides the corporations by providing them with ridiculously cheap third-world labor, by helping them break ties with all government control, letting them invest in stocks and bonds instead of investing in the real economy, making it easier for them to evade taxes, etc. etc. Or maybe you think, by hiring workers in some third-world country and paying them $1 a month they're doing them a favor?
actually, yes. in some countries that would be doing people a favor. people have a choice. they don't have to work in factories. but since they chose it, it is obviously preferable to the conditions they were living with previously. most often that condition is subsistence peasant farming. faced with starvation on land that won't produce, many leave the farms and head to the cities seeking opportunities. its a typical scenario of the industrial revolution. as the peasants leave the land, it then becomes more productive. by entering a manufacturing workforce, the poor person is able to by staple food at a reduced price due to more efficient farming. remember that a dollar a day goes alot further in some countries due to purchasing power parity. basically, if it weren't for globalization these people would be faced with starvation and bleak poverty. there are some good books on globalization and developing economies, such as "the history of development" by gilbert rist, and "exposed to innumerable delusions" by john waterbury, and finally "state building and late development" by david waldner.

Originally posted by Ihreil Junkenstein
It's in range but whats the point? Japan haven't done anything to Korea that I know of.

Countrys generaly need a reason to attack.
Hence why most want to attack america.
during the korean war, japan supplied a great quantity of war material. it actually jumpstarted the japanese economic miracle of 1950-1970. if there were another prolonged conflict in korea, japan would once again become a supplier of war material. ironically enough, it would probably jumpstart the japanese economy once again. in effect, japan is the enemy not only because of bitterness over world war 2 (in which japan committed many atrocities against its colony korea), but because the world's second largest economy would be arming north korea's enemies.

"Disarmament should be done in a peaceful way," "War is always the worst of solutions. It's always a failure. ... Everything should be done to avoid it."

Originally posted by Ihreil Junkenstein
So Korea wants to attack Japan because it gave them arms.
Right.
no, korea wants to attack japan because it gave the US arms. also colonizing korea doesn't help the situation.

My reasoning behing my last post was for simple selfish reasons. My bro gets deployed Monday for either Turkey or Afganistan, won't know until he leaves. Honestly, I think Bush should fuckin' do what he keeps sayin hes gonna do and do it with full force, A.S.A.P...... Well, if anyone is interested, Dan Rather is interviewing Saddam tommorow on 60 minutes, previews say Saddam is trying to challenge Bush to a live televised debate, this should be interesting.