Nevermore Vs..........iced Earth

Originally posted by Lord of Metal
I also find Dante's Inferno very enjoyable. They are peotic and descriptive. I really feel like I am taking a trip through hell everytime I listen to that song. Of course I don't believe in hell, but I still feel like I am in it.
yeh its a good song overall, but i find the concept kind of cheesy.
-neal

Originally posted by neal

you are a gentlemen and a scholar. dont post in all caps, its fucking anoying.
-neal

Sorry about posting in caps...I know it's annoying. By the way, I'm a woman.

Iron Maiden lyrics dumb? What the Hell? Whatever. And they didn't rip off a comic book, they had permission from the man himself, who in return screwed them over. And Blind Guardian rip off JRR Tolkien on every cd but I know you can't dislike them. And I am not a crackhead. You were the one talking about smoking weed. All drugs are stupid. Anybody who does any type of drug be it prescription, illegal, alcohol, cigarettes, McDonalds, Coca-Cola, unless your drug is METAL you are an idiot.

But hey, everyone has different tastes. You, appearently prefer the type of lyrics that just tell you what they are talking about, kind of like Metallica's lyrics, instead of the story type. Let's just agree to disagree because I have got into enough arguments on message boards about how Linkin Park sucks, religion, drugs, and Metal I'm just tired of it right now. Let us agree to disagree.

haha im a junkie becuase i smoke weed? what an ignorant fucking statement. ok you like maiden lyrics? tell me the following songs arent lame and or cheesy:
22 acatia avenue
gangland
long distence runner
deja vu
number of the beast
i mean the list goes on and on. most of them are pretty damn hokey. i mean it was the 80s for most of their albums and 80s was pretty cheesy time. NOT TO MENTION i fucking love iron maiden. the overal product is great, the lyrics are just dumb. actually i think BG lyrics are stupid too now that you mention it. i like lyrics that are about somthing real. not just stories. if i want stories ill read a fucking book. metallica lyrics are ok, i dont really listen to metallica anymore. but yeh its obvious we have very different opinions. we dont have to fight. or we can fight i dont give a fuck. no skin off my nuts.
-neal

I think the lyrics on Iced Earth - Horrow Show were fucking stupid. Some, like dracula, weren't as bad because there is a decent story behind that. But the one about "the thing from the black lagoon" sucked because it was about a bad horror movie.

Dark Saga wasn't terrible because he didn't mention spawn or anything, it was just had the same plot. I still don't really like the spawn thing. I like the lyrics of Nevermore better, although the rest of Iced Earth isnt as bad.

Henry Rollins during his standup comedy made fun of maidens lyrics, it was fucking hilarious.

And I think Barlow is just as good a vocalist as WD. But I do like WD better. He sounds more paranoid, and his voice kind of has an aggressive edge to it.

Im still not saying IE sucks, but I am saying the lyrics are not good. They are mostly stories (Dark Saga, Horror Show, Stormrider) SWTWC has some lyrics about reality, but they are still about some pretty pointless things. The Spanish Inquisition? Who the fuck cares about that? If you are not going to have lyrics that are about something worth talking about at least make them vague (Testament).

And although I don't think Nevermore is better than all of Iced Earth, Nevermore new songs kick the ass of IE's new stuff. The only stuff I really love is stuff off of Stormrider and Iced Earth (actually DoP when they rerecorded the older stuff).

well shit dude we're not so different afterall. im also really only a fan of the first 2 cds. the live versions of the old material fucking kicks ass.
-neal

I like the newer cd's (well maybe not horror show), but I don't think any of it is great. Its nothing another band couldnt do. I have Alive in Athens and on the melancholy ep there is Colors (which for some reason didnt make the alive in athens discs). I love all the original songs on AiA. I think part of the problem is they stopped doing the intricate 5-10 minute songs that made up the older discs (when the night falls, desert rain, the funeral).

yeh. they still have 10 minute songs, except the amount of riffs only warants a 3 minute song. anyone heard damien? how many fucking times can you polay that riff? yeh its kind of cool but give it a fucking rest.
-neal

I also miss the acoustic (or acoustic sounding) guitar parts they did on Stormrider and Iced Earth, like in Solitude, Cast in Stone, Desert Rain...

yeh theyve simplified and gone comercial. give the softcore metal lovers (who think they are more HC than they are)what they want i suppose.
-neal

Exactly, its not heavy anymore. Especially since the songs are much shorter they have more balleds and crap. On SWTWC there were maybe a handful of songs that were kind of heavy. The older stuff like Travel in Stygian were great because they were really heavy in parts, and they mixed the soft parts in with those heavy parts.

travel in stigian is a classic no doubt. the somthing wicked trillogy is the only good part of taht album. or any IE past burnt offerings for that matter
-neal

I like the trilogy, Birth of the Wicked is actually one of my favorite songs, I think partially because the trilogy goes back to some of those longer songs. They always finish with the long complex song, or at least they did. They didn't on Horror Show...and Phantom of the Opera sucked. The Coming Curse is good, I like the chanting with the guitar. Question of Heaven is decent...the "angry" part sucks, there are not enough heavy parts, just a long ballad. I love how Travel in Stygian ends, I think the piano, and then the guitar is a great way to end the cd.

yeh its probably my favorite IE song. that and when the night falls. i actually like the old version better on that one. its a bit different.
-neal