New BACKMASK Test Mix

Here's the latest test mix, incorporating pretty much all of the suggestions:

http://www.backmask.com/sneapforum/Transmission_Sneap_Forum_Mix_2.mp3

We mixed Andy's snare with ours, done a few EQ tweaks, and it sounds a lot better, although I think the snare's level is about 1db too quiet on it in this mix (oops.) We've reasonably established our baseline mix settings for the album with this mix, though, I think, but again all feedback is very appreciated! One thing - we're going to be doing more with the vocals still (riding faders, replacing some of the rough takes, adding some FX here and there) once we get to the final mix stage, right now we're just doing tests to get us in the ballpark.

A question though - anyone else think that our mixes are a little too extreme in the low end (around 60 hz?)

Snare got better and the mix doesn't have too much 60hz, imo. Only think i'd point out is I think the mix is missing some low end or rather low mids. Could be just me, though :)

Definately sounds better. The snare and vocals definately sit more balanced IMO. I do feel that the synth is still a bit too loud, but that might be the way you and the band like it.
The songs pretty cool, man. Sort of reminds me of 90's metal spliced with SYL :p

The songs pretty cool, man. Sort of reminds me of 90's metal spliced with SYL :p

Thanks! Every song on the album has a unique sound to it, you're going to hear a lot more influences coming in on other songs. The album has a loose (yet still pretentious) concept about the struggle between man-made technology and the natural world around us, so we have music that represents a lot of different facets of that. Expect to hear influences from SYL to Opeth to Dimmu Borgir on this album...

I'm just excited that we're almost done!

i like the lead tone, and you're vocals are pretty good, but are the clean parts autotuned? they have a strange quality to them, kind of super compressed or over tuned i think. The kick sounds really clicky, the snare sounds kinda out of place, the guitars sound good, but a smidge lacking in low mids for my taste.

i listend to the new version btw.