NEW BEHEMOTH

No, I completely agree with you. In a perfect world drum sampling wouldn't exist. It's a salvage tool for the most part. Sure, some creative uses come out of it like drum blending and such, but if you really wanted you could get similar results designing a drum that includes the characteristics you're after, without all the phase/acoustic anomalies of layering different drums on top of each other.

It's just a matter of convenience. Not all drummers have 10 hours a day to devote to practicing their craft, so there's a point where you have to give and say 'look, I want the song to sound good, but I just can't do it justice *loads up Drumagog*'.

Relating it back to this thread, I prefer the sound of the sampled snare on Demigod simply because it cuts more consistently and sounds punchier. The snare on Apostasy gets washed out and sounds... well it sounds like a snare does in a room. That is to say, it sounds really bad. To me. I should mention I hate the way drums sound acoustically. Once you get a mic kit, channel strips, comps, gates and PA in there, then we're talkin...

Hey Ermin, you make good points dude, and of course opinions are opinions - I didn't mean to offend, you're a great dude and I value your insight! :wave: Of course, Bernhard tells me you don't like the mix on "Twilight of the Thunder God," which baffles me, but that's another thread :D

I'd forgotten how pant pissingly epic the video for at the left hand ov god was.
Hefty looking forward to the new stuff.

Just as how I would have described it. The fire and ash shit at 2:50 (where Inferno whacks them open hi-hats) is the best!

The snare on Apostasy gets washed out and sounds... well it sounds like a snare does in a room. That is to say, it sounds really bad. To me. I should mention I hate the way drums sound acoustically. Once you get a mic kit, channel strips, comps, gates and PA in there, then we're talkin...

I love it. Sure, it's not the prettiest organic sound, but fits blastbeating and fills really good. As I said a few months ago, the coated toms are the best, makes me think why everyone in metal nowadays has to play clears.

Hey Ermin, you make good points dude, and of course opinions are opinions - I didn't mean to offend, you're a great dude and I value your insight! :wave: Of course, Bernhard tells me you don't like the mix on "Twilight of the Thunder God," which baffles me, but that's another thread :D

No offense taken. Just wanted to outline my perspective so you'd see where I'm coming from. Ended up being a mite longer than I anticipated...

I haven't listened to 'Twilight...' much, but what I have heard doesn't sit in line with what I like to hear. It's grossly over-mastered and flat, with too much muddy midrange in the guitar sound. Then there's those slate samples just going 'smack smack smack' constantly... headache.

Aside from Nordstrom's two 'Magnus Opuses' I tend to like the 'radio-ready' mixing that comes out of your top-tier guys there in the US. Unfortunately that involves a shit-ton of outboard gear. What I find amazing is how musically it all moves and pumps. CLA is huge on automation and you just feel it because he rides the music. 'Twilight...' in comparison is constantly on '11' and being brickwalled to the crapper... nowhere near as pleasant to listen to IMO.

I love LOVE the production in Demigod (that vocal production is awesome)
Slave shall serve its the fucking most BR00TAL song ever (at least for me)

Just read that Colin will be mixing this new album.. That´s really cool, I´m interested in how it´ll sound compared to their previous LP´s!

No offense taken. Just wanted to outline my perspective so you'd see where I'm coming from. Ended up being a mite longer than I anticipated...

I haven't listened to 'Twilight...' much, but what I have heard doesn't sit in line with what I like to hear. It's grossly over-mastered and flat, with too much muddy midrange in the guitar sound. Then there's those slate samples just going 'smack smack smack' constantly... headache.

Aside from Nordstrom's two 'Magnus Opuses' I tend to like the 'radio-ready' mixing that comes out of your top-tier guys there in the US. Unfortunately that involves a shit-ton of outboard gear. What I find amazing is how musically it all moves and pumps. CLA is huge on automation and you just feel it because he rides the music. 'Twilight...' in comparison is constantly on '11' and being brickwalled to the crapper... nowhere near as pleasant to listen to IMO.

I must say that I agree about "Twilight..." While I dig the album, I'm really not a fan of the production or tone. I love most of Bogren's mixes. "Watershed" is my absolute favorite by him. I can listen to that all day.

-Joe

Oh and as far as Behemoth is concerned, I liked aspects of both albums. At first I was really turned off by the production on "The Apostasy," but grew to appreciate it more with further listens. As a whole, I dig "Demigod" a bit more. I think the guitar tone is massive and more "in your face" than on "The Apostasy." I do agree with Marcus, however, on the drums. Maybe not the whole set, but the snare and kick bug me to hell sometimes! Other than that I LOVE the production of that album.

-Joe

i just can't say it often enough, *imho* the apostasy crushed demigod in every aspect, songs first and foremost.
i also really enjoy the natural vibe of apostasy, esp in comparison to demigod.
demigod is definitely he cleaner and more controlled mix, so i can see where you're coming from moonlapse..whether it's better or not is another question, at least imho. to me, the mix of the apostasy fits the music and the overall vibe, whereas demigod is just too clean for a band like behemoth.

anyways, putting all these mixing aspects aside, the mastering on the apostasy is incredibly poor if you ask me. just check out the first riff of slaying the prophets...what a distorted mess esp. in the low mids when the guitars are playing the palm mutes. also the snare, for example on christgrinding avenue, the drum outro, mainly the snare rolls..jesus!
actually, i think much of your "hate" (wrong word, you know what i mean...) towards TA might be due to the poor mastering, not so much the mixing.

GREAT BAND OR GREATEST BAND!?!?

:worship:notworthy:worship:notworthy:worship:

They never disappoint - and get a load of Nergal's rack, damn - interesting to see he's using the Uberschall, I wonder what'll end up on the album (The Apostasy was Uberschall, Roadster, and his custom amp, though I don't know the ratios)
You forgot Diezel VH4;)
His custom amp is a Hellstone-prodigy

I don't see a VH4 anywhere in this vid, which is the source of my info:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxlsZo82nuo&feature=channel_page[/ame]

And I just watched episode 4 for the first time - I had no idea Bergstrand mixed this album! Never would've guess from the sound...and the "World Famous" Cutting Room must need a new set of monitors if the engineer couldn't hear the wretched clipping on the mastering! :erk:

Could I possibly love this band any more? Incomprehensibly epic, evil music; fantastic players; and seemingly incredibly nice guys to boot! Jesus I can't wait for this album to hit...