New DT Album

I like the instrumental parts, they are great musicians writing great music. But they can't compete with other bands while Labrie is singing like that. Very boring, limited vocals. I'd say the rest of the band even has to step on the brakes and throw a lot of calm stuff to help Labrie and his sleepy voice.

]

Professionals know restraint, when to play and when not to play.

Fuck that. True musicians know no restraint! Play from the heart. If its in your heart to masterbate scales than by all means go ahead. Some will like it and some will hate it for the exact same reasons. No music is for and cannot be for everybody.

I personally think JP is not a wanker. His solos are very melodic, simple, and memorable when he wants them to be (See These walls,ITPOEpt1, Lines in the Sand, Another Day, Surrounded). And he has also written wankfest solos that are also just as memorable and imo very well executed. Some of them being nothing but fast runs, which can be just as difficult to pull off as writing a Comfortably Numb solo. (This Dying Soul, Octavarium) And others are just a combination of complex soaring melodies that are kind of a song within a song (Under A Glass Moon, Voices, Scarred)

What i like about DT is that their instrumental sections arent always just Keyboard and Guitar solos trading off all the fucking time. The problem with DT now is that they seem to write songs based on instrumental sections and not instrumental sections based on songs.

^ I think it has gotten to the point where I find the guitar and keyboard solos to be the most boring parts in songs. Guitar and Keyboard trade-off shred fests (SX included) are getting old. They are just there because it seems as if somebody feels they HAVE to be.
I prefer listening to an Opeth, Anathema, Leprous, PoS, Porcupine Tree (etc) song-structure in which solos are placed only with the purpose to help drive the song.
...wait, do Anathema have guitar solos?

Alias Eye's album "A Different Point of You" has a handful of solos. All of them are perfectly placed and welcomed. It's not like every song on the album has a solo 3/4 of the way through (after the second chorus), like most bands would do.

Knowing how to play your instrument is an essential basis for good music. Anti-technical bias I agree is just as bad as the wank-worshippers. However, knowing how to play your instrument and cutting to commercial break to PROVE it every song are not the same thing. It's tasteless and I would argue is in fact detracting from "knowing how to play your instrument". Professionals know restraint, when to play and when not to play.

Virtuosity is neither good nor bad songwriting. If you're a virtuoso, you should have a huge advantage. However, some players just don't "get it" and have to annihilate you with just how good they are. When someone is trying to tell me how awesome they are all the time, I find a way to tune them out and ignore them. I prefer people who show me their awesome ability without bashing you in the face with it - show me with an expertly written song, not a scale exercise.

While an "expertly written" song is highly subjective, I tend to agree with you. I used to love DT's "I'm a better musician than you are" interludes, but ever since I've discovered Symphony X (as well as many other bands) DT have become almost a thing of the past. I enjoy a song or two from each new album they release, but they just don't strike the same chord with me as they used to. These songs that I enjoy are typically the ones with the most "feeling" and the least wanking (excluding the ballads, because, let's face it, LaBrie's voice isn't strong enough to carry a gnat).

I personally think JP is not a wanker. His solos are very melodic, simple, and memorable when he wants them to be (See These walls,ITPOEpt1, Lines in the Sand, Another Day, Surrounded).

I think Petrucci is far less of a "wanker" than Rudess or even Portnoy. If you ask me, DT has been on a downward spiral ever since Jordan joined. You're right - so many of Petrucci's solos have a lot of feeling to them (Lines in the Sand is probably the finest example). Not one solo I've ever heard Rudess play has moved me any farther than "hey, that sounds like an alien fucking a monkey in the infinite expanse of space."

Of course, Myung is the only member of the band that I consider almost 100% anti-wanker. But that's a topic for another thread.

What i like about DT is that their instrumental sections arent always just Keyboard and Guitar solos trading off all the fucking time.

You're right, but to be honest, Symphony X does this all the time and it has rarely bothered me. This is due to the fact that the song doesn't seem to revolve around the solo section, with it merely being an extension of the song. DT's recent instrumental sections remind me of exactly how I described Jordan's solos above.

The problem with DT now is that they seem to write songs based on instrumental sections and not instrumental sections based on songs.

I couldn't agree more. When they do this, it seems as if the vocal lines are merely filler for the wankfest that undoubtedly follows.

I think it has gotten to the point where I find the guitar and keyboard solos to be the most boring parts in songs. Guitar and Keyboard trade-off shred fests (SX included) are getting old.

Symphony X is truly the only band where the back-and-forth guitar/keyboard solo fests never really bothered me all that much (Iconoclast included). There are a few songs where it gets a bit out of hand (mostly stuff from the Twilight album), but it never stands out as a sore spot in the song as it does in many DT songs. Maybe it's because MJR and P play so well off of each other, or because the rhythm behind the solos is more interesting, or because the solo sections are quite concise, or perhaps it's because it never drags on for what seems like an eternity. I'm honestly not sure.

but to be honest, Symphony X does this all the time and it has rarely bothered me.

Agreed.

You're also right about Rudess. I've even checked his solo stuff and didn't like it at all. His piano playing also suffers from soullessness and lack of dynamics. Thanks, but if I were interested in such wankfests I'd just get a bunch of midi files of keyboard music and run them through some virtual instruments at 220 bpm.

I personally think JP is not a wanker. His solos are very melodic, simple, and memorable when he wants them to be (See These walls,ITPOEpt1, Lines in the Sand, Another Day, Surrounded)

(Under A Glass Moon, Voices, Scarred)

Then again, an album like Images and Words was truly a classic one. Those were the days when DT was such an awesome band (as I'm sure all of us who bash DT agree).

I'd agree that Petrucci is better than Rudess/Portnoy/LaBrie (though not Myung imo) these days. But as someone who used to like him a lot for his early work with the band, he just continues to disappoint me by allowing and contributing to DT being the way it is today.

I'm a pretty nice person. You shouldn't listen to me say it though, there are a number on here who know me and could tell you one way or the other. I'd prefer not to say that I'm primarily negative, but that I have high standards and current discussions just aren't hitting on the stuff that I would praise. Why don't I start threads about the stuff I like? Maybe I think most of you wouldn't be interested and that it'd be off topic. I do like Symphony X, but that doesn't mean I have to love every one of their albums.

You don't seem to understand... My comments have NOTHING to do with your views on what is good music or bad music...

It's the negative way you view people from our listening experience to our listening prefrence...

Your outlook is defensive. What of it? We disagree.

My outlook would need to be defensive because you feel the need to insult anyone that has an opposite opinion than yours , with your know it all negative KID attitude .
Funny you feel the need to hang around in a post about a band that we all know you hate , you have made that very clear many times.

My outlook would need to be defensive because you feel the need to insult anyone that has an opposite opinion than yours , with your know it all negative KID attitude .
Funny you feel the need to hang around in a post about a band that we all know you hate , you have made that very clear many times.

Lol, I think you're making quite a few accusations with no basis on truth. I find Kenneth to be one of the good guys on these forums.

I prefer listening to [...] song-structure in which solos are placed only with the purpose to help drive the song.

Alias Eye's album "A Different Point of You" has a handful of solos. All of them are perfectly placed and welcomed. It's not like every song on the album has a solo 3/4 of the way through (after the second chorus), like most bands would do.
Yes, and Yes. Different Point of You is a fantastic album.

If I hated Symphony X, I wouldn't listen to them. I don't hate Symphony X. I like them quite a bit in fact, but am honest enough to give honest criticism both positive and negative when I feel it is deserved. If you are taking such indirect criticisms of my posts personally, I can't really help you with that.

^ Hmmm... Maybe he was talking about DT.

Solos in prog metal are starting to make the music and structures feel like cookie-cutters. Most of the time, I just don't care anymore.

Took me a long time to realize, but prog metal is just like any other metal genre: I'm lucky if I like 1 out of 10 bands I hear. But everything has it's fans and apparently a lot of prog fans are looking at something completely different than I am from the music.

Good example in my opinion would be last year's Haken - Aquarius. I was on an another forum where a group of people were praising this album like crazy. I don't think I saw a single negative opinion on it.

I didn't like it.

Yes, and Yes. Different Point of You is a fantastic album.

If I hated Symphony X, I wouldn't listen to them. I don't hate Symphony X. I like them quite a bit in fact, but am honest enough to give honest criticism both positive and negative when I feel it is deserved. If you are taking such indirect criticisms of my posts personally, I can't really help you with that.

I wouldn't call comments such as the one were you say that calling an album a grower is my way of apologizing for music you feel is bad a indirect criticism.

As fans of music, we have the right to be picky. There's so much of it out there, so why not be? That's really what this is, or what it seems like.

Took me a long time to realize, but prog metal is just like any other metal genre: I'm lucky if I like 1 out of 10 bands I hear. But everything has it's fans and apparently a lot of prog fans are looking at something completely different than I am from the music.

Good example in my opinion would be last year's Haken - Aquarius. I was on an another forum where a group of people were praising this album like crazy. I don't think I saw a single negative opinion on it.

I didn't like it.

This is true for me as well. I guess it's because what I am finding when searching for prog bands these days isn't really prog at all.
...and what's with every prog-metal band having a song's intro cut into a verse that has this ridiculous syncopated pattern being played with a single power chord (probably the lowest noted power chord possible with the tuning), and the most uninpsired vocal delivery overtop? Heard it before, guys.

...and what's with every prog-metal band having a song's intro cut into a verse that has this ridiculous syncopated pattern being played with a single power chord (probably the lowest noted power chord possible with the tuning), and the most uninpsired vocal delivery overtop?

Ha ha, there should be a name for this.