new interview

Pseud0 said:
martin always said in interviews i have heard with him that still life was his favorite - even right after deliv/damn i read an interview and he was like yea still life was the best one. So if he says this is better than still life (which is my favorite album of all time)....

Yeah, that piqued my interest too. To say it's better than Still Life... it's a hell of a claim. I just hope it's not his personal prefferences and experiences in recording it alone that made him say that. It would be amazing if most of the Still Life fans actually thought the same. After having heard The Grand Conjuration, given I'm still excited, but provided the whole album sounds like that, I'd say it won't match up to Still Life. But we'll see.

One thing that disheartened me a bit after having read the interview, is no prospect of an Australian tour. It's all US, Europe, US, Europe. I mean they're touring Europe 3 times and the US twice by the end of the goddamned year! And nothing for the rest of the world :(

Yeah I hope they come back soon as well. They did tour here in both 2003 and 2004. I'm sure they'll be back fairly soon, I'm guessing early next year. Last year was damn good, second row from the front. I could almost feel Mikael's breath! Best show ever.

Moonlapse said:
I mean they're touring Europe 3 times and the US twice by the end of the goddamned year! And nothing for the rest of the world :(

Well, your kinda down south in the middle of fucking nowhere Indian/Pacific Ocean, with a population less than the State I live in, but im sure that has nothing to do with it... :p

No, I hear you, I hope they make it your way. There seems to be a lot of Opeth fans in Eucalyptus land.

I was rather excited on this notion.

Enslain: What would be an ideal tour for you guys?
Martin: I want to support Tool, and then maybe share with Strapping Young Lad, would be a good band. It depends on if you mean as friends, or as musicians, I don't know. But as bands I would like to tour with Tool, and Strapping Young Lad, and maybe Katatonia.

Tool is a so criminally overrated it makes me want to beat Lopez with his drumstick. Their lead singer thinks he is Bono and Lennon wrapped into one, and dances around in his underwear, painted blue, as his band plays over drawn-out power chords with cheesy sci-fi effects thrown on top. G-I-M-M-I-C-K.

Tool's music is very ambient and atmospheric. Plus, their drummer makes the rythm very interesting. When I want to hear beautiful solos and acoustic passages, I don't listen to Tool. But when I want to hear and feel some cool atmospheric and dark music, I would listen to Tool. They're a good band. I'd love to see them tour with Opeth in the States. :headbang:

Cool to hear from Per, or rather, its great to hear from other members besides Mike. Ha

This has really peaked my intrest in hearing what Per adds to the new record.

Lopez isn't the only Opeth member who's into Tool. Peter has Lateralus in his "Essential records" list on the official site and Mikael did too at one point. Aenima is definitely a very overrated album but Lateralus is very good. Hopefully they'll continue that trend with the new album.

Also I noticed this in Mike's current playlist: Madder Mortem - Desiderata. I wonder if that's the new album?

But back on topic, it's nice to see some of the other members do interviews for once. The Martins always seem like the quiet ones because they rarely speak out in public.

Martin: you know, it's like they already start the band with the idea of we're going to sound like them, and that brings you a problem, like 18 bands and 12 of them sounds exactly the same. That can happen. But then you've got 6 bands that really stand out from the rest, and those are the bands that I'm interested in watching, you know. Those are the bands that I really respect, and that I really keep on listening to metal for, for those bands, the bands that are still trying to break the boundaries, you know, go further with it.

RE-READ THAT STATEMENT CAREFULLY KIDS!!! SAY NO TO PLAYING MELODIC DEATH AND BORING BREAKDOWNS FOR AT LEAST 5 YEARS!!!

Lateralus is one of the best albums ever.. eat poo if you disagree...DANNY KERRY RULES! :headbang:

Their other stuff is a little overrated i'll admit... but they do get better with every album... so im sure the next one will be fuckin insane...

thanks for the interview... i am now expecting Ghost Reveries to be the best album ever...

Stimuli said:
Lateralus is one of the best albums ever.. eat poo if you disagree...DANNY KERRY RULES! :headbang:

Their other stuff is a little overrated i'll admit... but they do get better with every album... so im sure the next one will be fuckin insane...

thanks for the interview... i am now expecting Ghost Reveries to be the best album ever...

lol you mean danny carey?