New music: What's everybody listening to?

Some of the albums i've been listening a lot lately:

Dan Swanö - Moontower
Edge of Sanity - Crimson II
Nightingale - Alive Again
Green Carnation - The Acoustic Verses
Borknagar - Epic
Fragile Vastness - A Tribute to Life
Enchant - Tug of War
Camel - The Snow Goose
Buried Inside - Chronoclast
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse

I forgot:
Marillion - Missplaced Childhood

New music I have been rocking out to:

Savage Circus
Devin Townsend - synchestra
Ulver - blood inside
Adagio - Dominate
Green Carnation - Acoustic Verses
Dissection - Reinkaos

Not new but recently got:

Edge of Sanity - Spectral Sorrows
Metal Church - Blessing in Disguise
Forbidden - Forbidden Evil (which I have wanted for a long time)
Savatage - Gutter Ballet and Streets
Coheed and Cambria - IV
Agalloch
Styx
Jethro Tull

What I want:

Tool - 10,000 days
Beyond Twilight - love of art
New Glenn Hughes

Just got the live cd by Bela Fleck and the Fleckstones, and its fuckin amazing. its victor wooten on bass, bela fleck on banjo, some dude on mandolin, and some dude on drums/synths or somethin. either way its ridiculously awesome jazz/funk/bluegrass/jam stuff

SilentRealm said:
I have a question about this band.. did they give up the awful boy-band vocals seen in the Symmetric in Design album? Music-wise I liked the album, growling-wise I was liking it.. then the backstreet-boy-reject kicks in and I'm horrified!

:lol: I can see why you'd call them that, but to me Christian sounds like a cross between Akerfeldt and Swano, so I'm in heaven. Nothing but love for the Swedes! ;)

I love scar symmetry's vocals, but i have to say you guys sticking up for the vocals are actually making me crack up over here. Silent is right... Let me refer to a few interview segments that i have conducted over the past few months with drummer Henrik. The first segment is about Symmetric in Design:

Zach the Viking: Have you noticed any differences in the sound from Symmetric in Design from the new material? What can we expect from a new album?

Henrik Ohlsson: Well, the clean vocals will be a little bit more rock and roll, I suppose. On Symmetric in Design, the clean vocals are kind of like boy band type of vocals, which sound great, we love it. But I think it's going to be a different approach on the second album for the clean vocals. Overall I think it's going to be a little bit harder album than Symmetric in Design, but will keep the key elements of the band, of course. You'll definitely recognize that it's Scar Symmetry playing.

Zach the Viking: You were mentioning the vocals. To be honest, that was one of the main things that set this album apart for me. When I looked at the press release, which it said, Scar Symmetry, a melodic death metal band, and so you know, I'm thinking it's going to sound like just about every other melodic death metal band out there. And then these amazing clean vocals come in, and it really kicked this album into a whole new territory for me. Right now it's on my list for top albums of the year, and I think the vocals play a big part in that. So it'll be interesting to see the evolution from that perspective.

Henrik Ohlsson: What I think Christian is doing on the second album, is really taking it a step further, because he's doing this really mellow kind of boy band vocals, as we like to call them, jokingly. But he's taking it a step further and goes into more of a heavy metal type of territory I think. It's really cool. It's an even wider spectrum, vocally, on this album, than the second one.

And for Pitch Black Progress:

Zach the Viking: Ok. Again, last time we spoke you said there were going to be some vocal changes. More of a “rock” approach and less of a “boy band” approach as you put it.

HO: [Laughs] Yeah!

Zach the Viking: Are you happy with the result of how the vocals turned out on this album?

HO: Yeah, definitely. It’s so cool to have more heavy metal singing and not just boy band singing. We have that too, because it’s an important ingredient. I mean, boy band vocals doesn’t have to be a negative thing. [Laughs] Not in this case anyway.

Zach the Viking: [Laughs] Right!

HO: We still have distorted guitars and all of that.

So you are all wrong, Silent is right, but she's wrong because the vocals are awesome.

And am i the only one that hears a bit of Russel in these vocals?

Kenneth R. said:
uh... they didn't. but backstreet boys? they sound more like swanö to me, which isn't a bad thing at all

IMO nothing at all like swanö - he actually has a GOOD clean voice - but thats just how I feel. I dunno, those vocals just really kill it for me.. I feel like theyre appealing to the teeny-bopper audience there. If they did all death, that would be a different story.

Doomsday Zach said:
So you are all wrong, Silent is right, but she's wrong because the vocals are awesome.

haha! Well at least THEY admit it - if the vocals are a different style for the next album, maybe thats worth a shot to listen to. Like I said before, everything else about the band was great its just that I didnt want to feel like Jesse McCartney had stowed away in the suitcase of a \m/ metal \m/ band. I personally love the ballsiness of metal, and yeah I felt like that was taking away from it for me.

SilentRealm said:
IMO nothing at all like swanö - he actually has a GOOD clean voice - but thats just how I feel. I dunno, those vocals just really kill it for me.. I feel like theyre appealing to the teeny-bopper audience there. If they did all death, that would be a different story.

I find Christian's vocals to be amazing. You shouldn't condemn something just because it sounds like pop. :p Much like Opeth who are very talented with their phrasing, I think it's the drastic contrast that makes it is so good. Who expects to hear those growls after the ridiculously catchy chorus? It's different from your typical melodeath band. I'm surprised you can't hear the comparison to Akerfeldt + Swano though. I don't know if it's a Swedish accent or what, but I hear it everywhere. Sure, it's usually a bit more poppy, but how can the backstreet boy version of Akerfeldt be bad? :lol: I think his vocals got even better on Pitch Black Progress, though I do cringe at one part in The Illusionist (I'm sure those of you who listen to them know what I'm talking about). Not to mention they have two pretty sick guitarists. But I highly doubt they're trying to appeal to the teeny bopper audience, even if they do have catchy clean vocals. ;) But oh well, to each her own. :)

Vinnie Vincent Invasion - Animal

This was supposed to be a Kiss song, thank god it isnt, if you havnt heard it check it out :loco:

I managed to track down the album Tongueless God by Scariot recently and I've also been listening to their album Strange to Numbers with Oddleif Stensland of Communic on vocals.