What's Up Guys?

-Moved out and live in Chicago now
-Got a few part time adjunct jobs teaching Rhetoric and Composition to students
-Joined a new sleazy rock n roll band on bass
-Going on crazy weekend benders and fucking strange women

Sup

Sounds like a good time to me! Are you just teaching or doing anything else for work?

@Matt totally sold my house!
Friend of mine is actually renting it right now. Lol

That's good. I remember you were having trouble selling it for a bit.

Hey Matt. How long have you been gone? Recently I’ve gotten back into playing bass, bought a few guitars and joined a punk band. We played our first gig last weekend. Apart from that it’s just been married life and trying not to die etc

It's a been quite a while, I'm not totally sure how long to be honest. And that's cool. I played in a classic rock band for a while in college, I found out that I hate performing, haha. Not for me.

Mostly the same ol, same ol. School, family, exercise, hobbies.

Are you in a phd program? Seems like you've been in school forever.

Are you in a phd program? Seems like you've been in school forever.

Yeah. Since I've been on the board I've done 3 years in undergrad and then a year break doing free research work at the uni and then now I'm in my 2nd year in a PhD program.

Yeah. Since I've been on the board I've done 3 years in undergrad and then a year break doing free research work at the uni and then now I'm in my 2nd year in a PhD program.

Nice nice. I'm about to start an MBA program. Haven't decided on where yet. Mainly doing it to forgo my impending student loan crisis

sup bruh. What kind of equity trading you do?

I manage about 4 billion in client assets. Do all kinds of trading, from large VWAP/TWAP requests to institutional trading. It's an okay gig. Hopefully temporary.

Just teaching. I had 4 classes last semester which is virtually a full load. Gonna have to get a side gig sucking cock this semester since I only got 3.

That's a shame. I hear that really sucks.

Reactions: Dazed and Brutal
I manage about 4 billion in client assets. Do all kinds of trading, from large VWAP/TWAP requests to institutional trading. It's an okay gig. Hopefully temporary.

Goddamn. I'm on the accounting side of things, but I've had to deal with some Bonds guys. That sounds stressful as fuck though. At least the market is bullish as hell right now

Goddamn. I'm on the accounting side of things, but I've had to deal with some Bonds guys. That sounds stressful as fuck though. At least the market is bullish as hell right now

It is indeed stressful. We've been slammed lately and have been losing people due to how stressful the job is (coupled with how we're underpaid etc etc)

Reactions: Dazed and Brutal
It is indeed stressful. We've been slammed lately and have been losing people due to how stressful the job is (coupled with how we're underpaid etc etc)

I can imagine the turnover is much like public accounting. I couldn't hack the financial sector though where the stakes are much more tangible. I just have to be a body for 80 hours a week

I can imagine the turnover is much like public accounting. I couldn't hack the financial sector though where the stakes are much more tangible. I just have to be a body for 80 hours a week

The only good thing is that I get to leave at 330 every day without question. When the market closes we are done, which is not true for you accounting people.

Pretty sure sucking cock for blow is already your full time gig

He does blow off hookers asses and stuff and not work some crap job, he's livin' the dream, some people don't know what that's like to live the dream.

Well a lot has changed since I made this thread. I got fired from my old job for some BS that wasn't true so I got a job in Akron OH as a portfolio manager. Been up here for about a month and a half. It's interesting, but I miss home. I hated it when I was there but now that I'm gone I'm having some serious doubts about things. The job is pretty good though.

Anything new with you guys?

My work life seems turbulent as well. I joined an international IT startup and got swallowed by this startup culture. Basically the poeple who hired me are no longer with us and everything already seems so different to when I started this job in February. Who knows what happens in the upcoming months.

I'm at least hoping this uncertainty will make me stronger for whatever comes next.

Sorry to hear about your situation, @Matt . Hopefully you'll feel a bit better about where you're at after a little time passes.

I just got back to Germany and am starting my second year studying and teaching here. It's great being back here with my friends and I've got plans to visit Lille in France and Amsterdam next month. I am however looking forward to enrolling in a new PhD program when I get back home and getting on with it already (I've been studying since 2011 and will be looking at another six years when I return to the US before I complete my doctorate). I had a few interviews with potential advisers in DC and Baltimore, and they all went really well. Now I'm working on arranging Skype interviews with whom I've already made contact with, and I'll be calling those who haven't returned my emails on their phones during their office hours next week--not really interested in throwing away $250 for the applications if they're not accepting PhD students to advise in 2019.

My work life seems turbulent as well. I joined an international IT startup and got swallowed by this startup culture. Basically the poeple who hired me are no longer with us and everything already seems so different to when I started this job in February. Who knows what happens in the upcoming months.

I'm at least hoping this uncertainty will make me stronger for whatever comes next.

That is unfortunate. My previous employer had a lot of turnover and it made it very difficult to do anything at all. I'd try to stick it out for at least a year though. That way it doesn't look like you're a job hopper.

Sorry to hear about your situation, @Matt . Hopefully you'll feel a bit better about where you're at after a little time passes.

I just got back to Germany and am starting my second year studying and teaching here. It's great being back here with my friends and I've got plans to visit Lille in France and Amsterdam next month. I am however looking forward to enrolling in a new PhD program when I get back home and getting on with it already (I've been studying since 2011 and will be looking at another six years when I return to the US before I complete my doctorate). I had a few interviews with potential advisers in DC and Baltimore, and they all went really well. Now I'm working on arranging Skype interviews with whom I've already made contact with, and I'll be calling those who haven't returned my emails on their phones during their office hours next week--not really interested in throwing away $250 for the applications if they're not accepting PhD students to advise in 2019.

Yeah, I'm hoping so. Just hate having no friends or anything lol. And that sounds cool, I was actually born in Germany and want to go back there. What city are you in? And what program are you looking at doing?

Reactions: viewerfromnihil
Yeah, I'm hoping so. Just hate having no friends or anything lol. And that sounds cool, I was actually born in Germany and want to go back there. What city are you in? And what program are you looking at doing?

Yeah, that's the worst, not having friends in a city. It took me a while to make some here. Where were you born in Germany? I live in Münster, in Nordrrhein-Westfalen, about an hour north of Cologne and half hour east from the Netherlands. I came here on a Fulbright and decided to stick around for another year. Academic German is a big pain in the ass, so I figure the extra time here working with secondary literature will pay off when it comes time to hit the archives in a few years. That, and it gives me an extra year to crack down on my French. I'm hoping for Georgetown, University of Pennsylvania, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Columbia, or Harvard, the latter two of which are the two I haven't been able to receive an answer from. I'll probably apply to George Washington and UMass Amherst as well, just to have some safer choices, in case my plan turns out all for naught.

Reactions: Onder
Yeah, that's the worst, not having friends in a city. It took me a while to make some here. Where were you born in Germany? I live in Münster, in Nordrrhein-Westfalen, about an hour north of Cologne and half hour east from the Netherlands. I came here on a Fulbright and decided to stick around for another year. Academic German is a big pain in the ass, so I figure the extra time here working with secondary literature will pay off when it comes time to hit the archives in a few years. That, and it gives me an extra year to crack down on my French. I'm hoping for Georgetown, University of Pennsylvania, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Columbia, or Harvard, the latter two of which are the two I haven't been able to receive an answer from. I'll probably apply to George Washington and UMass Amherst as well, just to have some safer choices, in case my plan turns out all for naught.

I was born in Erfenbach near the Air Force base around there. And that's cool - you're applying to some big time schools, hope it works out for you.

Man, I remember when all you cared about was slinging back booze and rushing the stage. Now we have Mr. Academia being a functioning member of society.

It's like me and you switched bodies or something.

Reactions: Dak