New Opeth album cover

Same vibe as this (which is fucking cool in my book):
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkr7f_0ZO0k&feature=related[/ame]

11 past members according to Wiki...11 skulls under the tree. A couple Still Life references on the cover too. Definitely a legit cover. I think it is cool that they are doing a kind of less "serious" album cover... I just hope the album kicks ass.

yeah i noticed this too yesterday and posted it over on the metal archives thread, the figure from still life is in line with the red lake behind her, there are 9 stars in the sky, same number of passt albums, it seems like a really focused and conceptual cover, and i really dig it except for the heads,

agan if you want to get really deep, you could go into talking about about how they had their roots in death metal, which is seen as a satanic and evil music, even if opeth never portrayed that, hence the opeth trees roots being in hell with the devil, seems well thought out, an there are 11 skulls under the tree but only ten ex-members cause the 11th is per, who is falling from the branches, cant see if the one under pers head is actually a skull though, no face holes

It looks really cool. I just don't hope that it's their last album, and I don't hope that it's another Damnation'ish album. Don't get me wrong, I really like Damnation, but the wonderful thing about Opeth has always been the dynamics between the calm and heavy parts.

So much confusion and more hate than I expected floating around regarding this. While I think the heads are just PS'd on to take the piss out of it, I love it.

So much confusion and more hate than I expected floating around regarding this. While I think the heads are just PS'd on to take the piss out of it, I love it.

i thought they were their to take the piss too, but with the skulls of ex members underneath it, i think they will defs keep the heads

11 past members according to Wiki...11 skulls under the tree. A couple Still Life references on the cover too. Definitely a legit cover. I think it is cool that they are doing a kind of less "serious" album cover... I just hope the album kicks ass.

This.

And Per Wiberg falling from the three to make some company to the skulls. This is fucking hilarious. Black humour at its best. In any case, I'd prefer a cover without member heads on it.

The album has no harsh vocals or death metal-parts, there was a listening session for magazines yesterday and some lines about it was written to the blog of biggest metal magazine in Finland.

When I first saw this cover I thought it was one of the ugliest metal album cover ever done but finally... I pretty like it, and I would love it without the heads in the tree :D

The album has no harsh vocals or death metal-parts, there was a listening session for magazines yesterday and some lines about it was written to the blog of biggest metal magazine in Finland.

If that's true, I think it's definitely going to confuse or anger some of the fanbase. It will probably be amazing as well.

Thanks!

What I get out of that page with Google Translate is mostly readable. It has trouble with a few of the compound words like "metallifaneissa" but it's pretty obvious what that means. In any case, I have the strong sense that we're in for melodic, 70s prog kind of record, but heavier than Damnation. I'm really looking forward to it, to be honest this is exactly the kind of record I hoped they would do.

Bummer about the lack of harsh vocals, but considering how Akerfeldt's sounding lately, it makes total sense:

Last edited by a moderator: