New Social Thread

So I recently started working as a Dock employee on a carry deck loading and unloading trucks, doing the dirty work. After weighing my options in the industry I decided I am going to become a Crane Operator. I talked to a contractor at a refinery and he offered a position as an apprentice ( union apprenticeships ) as long as I complete the NCCCO ( National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators) and the process of training programs. Union apprenticeships take 3 years to complete but I am extremely excited!
As for now I will be gaining on-the-job training by starting out in an entry-level job and then becoming a machine operator's assistant.

Fuck! I didn't expect this....Maine ain't bad man.

Unloading stuff from trucks all day sounds like hard work. Do you get paid much more than you work working in catering or retail?

14 an hour. It's only hard work if you don't pace yourself. You're outside, getting exercise and if you're lucky around good people. It's blue collar with an opportunity to work your way up as long as you're willing to work hard and be smart.

the crane drivers at the port of los angeles make six figures a year, and they have no college degrees, and I highly doubt the majority of them even went to high school.

drug addict rope tie-ers tie boats to the docks for like $30 an hour.

ILWU...best racketing scam to get into

the crane drivers at the port of los angeles make six figures a year, and they have no college degrees, and I highly doubt the majority of them even went to high school.

drug addict rope tie-ers tie boats to the docks for like $30 an hour.

ILWU...best racketing scam to get into

People driving the haul trucks over here at the mines earn a shitload of money more than some engineers, doesn't require any brains at all. o_0

So I have OCD and am trying to go as long I can without washing my hands. I've transferred invisible bacteria to my favorite hangout, the computer desk. Wonder how long it will take before I clean the keyboard and mouse. Hopefully I won't do it.

So I have OCD and am trying to go as long I can without washing my hands. I've transferred invisible bacteria to my favorite hangout, the computer desk. Wonder how long it will take before I clean the keyboard and mouse. Hopefully I won't do it.

Dude. Are you like, my fucking twin or something? I gots major handwashing OCD too.

I get less than that at my current desk job and I have a college degree. Fuck this shit!

The company I used to work at packing and loading boxes on skids paid just under $14 an hour; some places, if they have their priorities straight, pay manual labor workers pretty well. The people who operated the presses and other machinery make really good money.

I'm sure the amount of risk involved has something to do with why crane operators get paid so much. That's a lot of responsibility riding on one load (take that any way you want).

The company I used to work at packing and loading boxes on skids paid just under $14 an hour; some places, if they have their priorities straight, pay manual labor workers pretty well. The people who operated the presses and other machinery make really good money.

I'm sure the amount of risk involved has something to do with why crane operators get paid so much. That's a lot of responsibility riding on one load (take that any way you want).

from what I understand it's all about safety and timing.