New Social Thread

Twitter is something I will probably never join. It's like a website dedicated to what Facebook statuses already do: allow people to spit out information under the illusion that other people will read it even though few people will read theirs, and they will read only some of others'.

I remember reading a study that said that the majority of twitter users don't really read other people's tweets. I'll have to find it.

edit: Here's one. http://mashable.com/2011/03/28/twitter-study-consumed/

I hear ya, and I think most "normal" people who use twitter are narcissists. But I actually do read the tweets from people who are interesting to me. That and the Facebook Nazis piss me off. They're trying to make the information you post on Facebook their legal property. Fuck a bunch of that.

Also, twitter is just easier to use.

Yeah, Facebook is fucked up. I'm kinda sad anon didn't destroy it. I still use it, though. I know Google stores lots of information about people, but at least they don't pull the whole "give us more private information to protect yourself" crap that Facebook does as much. Sure, they get information from our searches and email accounts, but it would be kind of stupid not to cash in on that. Facebook just takes it to a worse level by making it damn near impossible to delete your account.

Also, Google doesn't seem to employ anything outside of the site to try and snag more information about you. I have evidence that Facebook does. So at a community college I went to there was a girl in my class from Germany. We never exchanged any contact info whatsoever with one another, and we had absolutely zero mutual friends (I would find out for sure later, but it wasn't a bad assumption since she was from Germany), but when I was about to add her, it only took me typing in the first three letters of her first name for her picture to pop up at the top of the results. The only thing this girl and I had in common was that we were in one class together. They must have somehow been able to link us that way. I can't think of any other possible way that she would pop up as the first result when we had no mutual friends and never even exchanged text messages or emails. Facebook doesn't have my mobile number anyway. Each time they asked, I skipped.

Also, Google doesn't seem to employ anything outside of the site to try and snag more information about you. I have evidence that Facebook does. So at a community college I went to there was a girl in my class from Germany. We never exchanged any contact info whatsoever with one another, and we had absolutely zero mutual friends (I would find out for sure later, but it wasn't a bad assumption since she was from Germany), but when I was about to add her, it only took me typing in the first three letters of her first name for her picture to pop up at the top of the results. The only thing this girl and I had in common was that we were in one class together. They must have somehow been able to link us that way. I can't think of any other possible way that she would pop up as the first result when we had no mutual friends and never even exchanged text messages or emails. Facebook doesn't have my mobile number anyway. Each time they asked, I skipped.

You were probably just in the same college network.

70871_700b-e1295647151967.jpg

Why run from big brother? I know this sounds like either embracing it or being completely aloof, but I don't mean either. Google knows who you are and where you live, so does Facebook, and before them, there were a nearly infinite number of ways to gather and distribute your personal data, not to mention the intrusive surveillance by the government alphabet soup agencies. Anonymity is impossible in our society, and has generally been that way since the beginning of the 20th century. I simply portray myself as precisely who I am and make no apologies for it. Sure, it pisses me off that I have no real privacy, but it does no good to hide under a "tin foil hat", as it were.

I don't do any form of wearing a tin foil hat. I'm just not cool with a social network that makes it nearly impossible for people to delete their profiles.

Why run from big brother? I know this sounds like either embracing it or being completely aloof, but I don't mean either. Google knows who you are and where you live, so does Facebook, and before them, there were a nearly infinite number of ways to gather and distribute your personal data, not to mention the intrusive surveillance by the government alphabet soup agencies. Anonymity is impossible in our society, and has generally been that way since the beginning of the 20th century. I simply portray myself as precisely who I am and make no apologies for it. Sure, it pisses me off that I have no real privacy, but it does no good to hide under a "tin foil hat", as it were.

I kind of fall somewhere in the middle on this. You are correct, but I don't believe in making it any easier than it has to be. I am aware that if I were specifically targetted, there is nothing you can do to fight that.