New Social Thread

Yet. If my experiment goes as planned, that will all change.

If it doesn't, tell my wife and kids I love them.

At least there is no reliable way to read a person's inner thoughts.

I was thinking recently about what might be possible if everyone could communicate directly from thier mind to others minds.
Not really "reading" minds but using the mind to directly engage in exchange of information with another mind at will.

In a way I feel if everyone "understood" (Not just recieving the words/text, but also every emotion and thought process that goes into creating/becoming a thought) everything about each other it could promote greater "knowledge" and a more peaceful world. (Not completely removing hatred,murder,evil,... as adversity plays a very important role in causing balance and imo an interesting life)
Though it's more likely people would use it to exploit others to enhance only thierself or to impose thier thoughts and ideas on everyone else.

(So instead of just reading this, you would know/feel exactly how I thought/felt about it. And then you would have the ability to communicate to me your exact opinion/feelings on it and I would be able to understand exactly what you meant/felt. Regardless of language/intelligence barriers)

Ultimately, the mind is still the only true "safe place" people have and shouldn't be fucked with by others. It's just amusing to wonder what if?

That's basically the reason I have been working on a language that makes getting confused more difficult. The mechanics are designed to be complicated enough to communicate many things but simple enough not to be confusing or annoying. I don't have dreams of it getting implemented worldwide. It's basically for my own benefit.

Very much so.

Makes me wish I'd have spent my time in school more wisely instead of sitting around just getting by and daydreaming about blowing my brains out. :lol:

Never too old to start learning, though with language i've heard it is harder to learn as you age.

I'll have to quit procrastinating and get around to it.....eventually. :lol:

The more you learn new languages, the easier it gets. Trust me. I've been learning bits and pieces of a bunch of languages.

I've learned small amounts of german, spanish, and arabic. Most of what I still remember is spoken. As for writing and reading I know less.

I'm really bad with learning new languages. In my second semester of Elementary German and it's taking up more of my time then anything else, even though I'm taking Psychopharmacology, Political Theory etc. Stupid Honors College language requirements... I think the language is pretty cool and so on, I just can't wrap my head around all of the grammar and so on.

Is it that you're having trouble understanding the way the grammar works when comprehending it in the written or spoken form or how to express things using it?

Is it that you're having trouble understanding the way the grammar works when comprehending it in the written or spoken form or how to express things using it?

Both, pretty much. Some areas are easier than others, but it all just builds up to be a giant mess of...language.

One thing that has helped me when learning new sentence structures and grammar that are foreign to me is to try to recall every word in the sentence, then try to understand the meaning using the new grammar. It's hard at first to not try to reassemble it to fit the grammar you're familiar with, but if you persevere, it makes picking up new grammar easy as shit. One tip I have to make it easier to use the new grammar mentally is to say the meaning to yourself in your head or aloud with each word. You know it's working when it becomes easier not to rearrange the grammar in your head in order to understand the sentences.

Also, learning the basics of another language besides the one you're trying to learn can help considerably. I'd be struggling with Korean grammar right now if I never had the experience with putting the word "now" right after the subject in Chinese, and putting the verb at the end of the sentence or after the subject in Latin. The only new thing that hit me with Korean grammar was that prepositions like "to" are attached to the end of the noun. For example, if you say "I go to the town center," in Korean it's "I town center-to go." And with all my experience picking up basics from languages like Norwegian, Latin, Greek, Sanskrit, Finnish, Chinese, Japanese, French, and Italian, learning the mechanics of a new language is almost instant for me. Though, I understand it may not be as easy for others because I have been in a multilingual household for years, so that may have extended my "window" for learning new words easily.

Anyways, good luck with German.

One thing that has helped me when learning new sentence structures and grammar that are foreign to me is to try to recall every word in the sentence, then try to understand the meaning using the new grammar. It's hard at first to not try to reassemble it to fit the grammar you're familiar with, but if you persevere, it makes picking up new grammar easy as shit. One tip I have to make it easier to use the new grammar mentally is to say the meaning to yourself in your head or aloud with each word. You know it's working when it becomes easier not to rearrange the grammar in your head in order to understand the sentences.

Also, learning the basics of another language besides the one you're trying to learn can help considerably. I'd be struggling with Korean grammar right now if I never had the experience with putting the word "now" right after the subject in Chinese, and putting the verb at the end of the sentence or after the subject in Latin. The only new thing that hit me with Korean grammar was that prepositions like "to" are attached to the end of the noun. For example, if you say "I go to the town center," in Korean it's "I town center-to go." And with all my experience picking up basics from languages like Norwegian, Latin, Greek, Sanskrit, Finnish, Chinese, Japanese, French, and Italian, learning the mechanics of a new language is almost instant for me. Though, I understand it may not be as easy for others because I have been in a multilingual household for years, so that may have extended my "window" for learning new words easily.

Anyways, good luck with German.

During the first semester there was a lot of sentence structure and whatnot, which I've gotten the grasp of pretty well (and the subsequent exceptions, rules et cetera). Maybe there's just too much info in too little time or something, I'm not sure.

The bright side is that I only 5 five weeks left, and my overall grade a couple weeks ago was an A (due to a bunch of extra credit), but just got the test back from last week and I got a 49% lol. The majority (out of 22) people got a D or an F, though...

I've heard German has ancient Indo-European-esque complexity, so I'm guessing it is no easy feat, especially if one has not been faced with that type of grammar before.

I will never think a (widely spoken) modern language is hard after making attempts at learning Sanskrit. If you want to feel like any widely spoken modern language is easy, try learning Sanskrit.

There are a few things that make it hard as shit.

- Nine verb conjugations in just the present tense. I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure that in the other tenses it's the same number of conjugations.
- Twenty-four ways a noun can be inflected. Three times for singular, dual, and plural, multiplied by eight for all the cases.
- Really complex sandhi. Basically, sounds are changed based on what one word ends with and the next one starts with. There are four kinds of it in Sanskrit. Vowel to vowel, consonant to consonant, consonant to vowel, and vowel to consonant. And from trying to memorize the charts, I'm fairly certain the change is different with each sound combination.
- Annoying consonant conjuncts involving r. Usually you can tell what the combined consonants are from putting the letters together, like स्व (sv), combination of स (s) and व (v). This is r र, and this is sr स्र. There is another r, like the one in English, but it is treated as a vowel.
- Sounds that don't exist in English. There are four t sounds and four d sounds. With practice, it isn't too hard to recognize them, but when speaking at any speed faster than really slow, they're easy to mix up. This also makes spelling harder, too.
- A tendency to combine words together. I don't mean compound words that make sense, like cannot. I mean combining all the words that could make up a sentence into one word.

I'm pretty sure this was tl;dr, so that proves how fucking frustrating of a language Sanskrit is. And that's really annoying, because most likely being the closest to proto-Indo-European, learning it could serve as a really good bridge to learning any Indo-European language. Hell, of all the Sanskrit words I learned, I couldn't find a single one that I couldn't relate to another Indo-European word.

Ancient languages are useless for most people. I advise anyone who wants to learn multiple languages in a certain family to do so, though.

It's true, you have to admit. The only benefit of learning Latin and Greek I can think of that is universal is allowing easier learning, use, and sometimes, invention of technical English vocabulary. This also applies to other languages in Europe, but I'm not going to list seeing as there are some that may use their own vocabulary to create more complex concepts rather than deriving from older words.

I have no doubt that spending time on Latin, ancient Greek, and Sanskrit have made it much easier for me to learn languages in general, but that's not a benefit most people need.