2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-Bit, English
8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M 3GB graphics with Optimus
750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 + Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2
90 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Lets watch and see it not run Diablo III :lol:

Son of a bitch...what an amateurish mistake. Rhino, of course.

Rhino-silhouette-111109.jpg

New Dell laptop:

17.3" FHD (1080p) with 2.0MP HD Webcam
2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-Bit, English
8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M 3GB graphics with Optimus
750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 + Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2
90 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

That's a fuckin nice laptop. I'm thinking of buying a new laptop. I'm sick on my current one. How much did you pay for it?

I just got offered a job for $96,000 per annum as a process engineering graduate 3 hours north of Sydney, 1.5 hours west of Newcastle not including relocation assistance. This is doing commercial explosives manufacturing.

I've got an interview with another company in a couple of weeks that is offering less but is based in Perth for an oil & gas position for much lesser pay, but I'd much rather do.

Blergh. Life decisions.

As graduates we'd be expecting to pull at least about 65k if you're working in a city and at least about 70k (not including allowance) if you're doing a fly-in-fly-out job or residential (that means moving permanently to a smaller town).

I don't know what I did exactly, but I was completely stumped when I got my letter of offer from the company seeing as I've worked with them as an intern for a couple of months and there were never really any formal interviews. I got offered the job pretty much straight away upon arriving to the interview at the start of this year, but at that time it was a 6 month internship where they expected me to defer my studies to work for alot less. I declined to which they also offered me a 2 month internship with them over the winter holidays that I ended up taking instead.

I wonder how the world's going to work when we have more people than we need to get everything done. Technology is increasing more rapidly than ever, and it's already disrupting highly traditional social dynamics in some very developed East Asian countries. Is it going to be a hyper-competitive environment like East Asia, or is there going to be some kind of class of people that contribute to the world, while another just reaps the benefits?

Sounds like the Australian version of an education bubble to me....

What do you mean? Most Australians have interest free student loans when they enter higher education, they don't have to pay for it until they actually get a full time job. The rate of return of university degrees are terrible if you do a job like everyone else doing commerce or arts.

*edit: These interest free student loans, are actually barely noticeable in your paycheck. Students only have to pay part of their actual total fees when they finish*

There are still a ridiculously limited number of engineers (especially process and chemical, we are responsible for the purity and grade of any product that is being produced, from food items, petroleum and gas, to the minerals and metals used in everyday items) actually in the country and studying, hence the high pay. Most people tend to drop out after first or second year because it's too difficult.

The people who work within the resource industry in Australia (minerals, metals, oil & gas) tend to get paid alot, even if you're just a trades person with no qualifications. That's because Asian countries are buying all our ore and energy at crazy prices. Their rate of consumption is ridiculous. Plus when it comes to minerals and metals; China buys all our ore, smelts it at their low labour costs and sells it at stupidly expensive prices to everyone else in the world.