New Social Thread

What do you mean? Most Australians have interest free student loans when they enter higher education, they don't have to pay for it until they actually get a full time job. The rate of return of university degrees are terrible if you do a job like everyone else doing commerce or arts.

*edit: These interest free student loans, are actually barely noticeable in your paycheck. Students only have to pay part of their actual total fees when they finish*

There are still a ridiculously limited number of engineers (especially process and chemical, we are responsible for the purity and grade of any product that is being produced, from food items, petroleum and gas, to the minerals and metals used in everyday items) actually in the country and studying, hence the high pay. Most people tend to drop out after first or second year because it's too difficult.

The people who work within the resource industry in Australia (minerals, metals, oil & gas) tend to get paid alot, even if you're just a trades person with no qualifications. That's because Asian countries are buying all our ore and energy at crazy prices. Their rate of consumption is ridiculous. Plus when it comes to minerals and metals; China buys all our ore, smelts it at their low labour costs and sells it at stupidly expensive prices to everyone else in the world.

Where does the money for the loans come from?

I'm currently in a transition period between anti-depressants and it fucking sucks. It's almost as bad as when I left the psych hospital earlier this year and was on antipsychotics and a few other things. I have this weird buzz in my head like I'm high, but I'm sober. And it's not a good feeling, either. Also, I keep telling myself how alone I am without physical friends that I can see, but I can't feel bad about it. I've had this happen before, and it's frustrating. It's like I jumped off a cliff but I'm not falling. Whatever. This will all change in a little over a month when I move out. From that day forward, I will cease to be forever alone.

Thanks. I don't think it's my brain chemistry that was the problem in the first place, though. I met some emo kids when I was twelve and thought they were cool, and negative thought patterns became my way to fit in and spiraled downward from there. Fuck. If I could go back in time, I'd send one message: Fuck those guys. Besides, you hated all of their favorite bands anyway.

I do have family history of depression, so that may be a part, but I kinda doubt it.

Went to a pretty sick fucking local gig with a bud of mine on Friday. Saw four bands I'd never seen before, and Darkness Rites; DR was lacking a bass player for the gig, but still I headbanged like I've never headbanged before. One of the best shows of my life. Apparently DR was filming their whole gig too.

Even the friend I brought, who doesn't even like any metal, said she thought Darkness Rites' set was the bees knees.

Thanks. I don't think it's my brain chemistry that was the problem in the first place, though. I met some emo kids when I was twelve and thought they were cool, and negative thought patterns became my way to fit in and spiraled downward from there. Fuck. If I could go back in time, I'd send one message: Fuck those guys. Besides, you hated all of their favorite bands anyway.

I do have family history of depression, so that may be a part, but I kinda doubt it.

Have you seen a cognitive behavioral therapist?

Yeah. I'm actually doing some CBT. I don't know why I didn't do it before. From what I heard in the day hospital, it's got a lot more guarantee in its payoff than anti-depressants. While mental treatment has come a long way, it still could use a little work. The first thing the psych hospital did to treat me was ask me a few questions and give me a bunch of medications, and if you didn't take the medications, it significantly cut your chances of getting out. It felt like 1984. You basically had to take the pills, pretend you were fine with doing it, and pretend everything was getting better despite the hospital not actually doing shit for your mental health outside of handing you medicine that they haven't checked thoroughly enough to see if you really need.

I have a sunlamp, and it's pretty awesome. It makes me feel more alert in the mornings.

I got so baked today. I came up with a new idea to add to a story. I taught an old Korean dude about the Altaic language family, and I taught an old white dude about evolution. What have you guys done lately?

Now I'm about to play Super Mario 3d Land. I will be immersed in Mushroom Kingdom. My childhood returns. I am resurrected.