New Social Thread

This is what I'm trying to say at this point: What influenced the imagination?

Try it. Imagine something that isn't influenced by the world around you.

It (the mind) still works if there is nothing to perceive, but that hinders the creation of ideas which is why it doesn't work well when the senses are deprived. Those hallucinations can be related to things that "occur naturally", for lack of better words.

Yeah you can deprive senses on someone who had already sensed something and they'd be able to imagine. You could also "deprive" someone from birth, but they'd still feel and use thier sense of touch to help influence thier imagination.

If someone was born into the world and instantly had none of thier senses....
Being born this way would be the only way to find out if one would be able to imagine without perceiving anything.

Being born this way would quickly mean death (or at least never learning/experiencing, so at least brain dead). This is why I don't believe the mind can imagine without having or ever had sensed the surrounding world in any way.

What influenced the imagination was the mystery of the physical world. When Aztec farmers wondered where the hell the water in the sky was coming from, and didn't have science, Tlaloc was as good an explanation as any. When Sumerians wondered why desert winds would come and fuck up their crops, Pazuzu was viable without meteorology.

Are you familiar with god of the gaps?

True.

Where the topic started: You said
Who knows? The best guess I've found is the origin of pretty much all religions: humans performing ritualistic behaviors
I'm just saying that a phenomenon(like rain as you mentioned above) is the origin of all religions.
Something occured and was perceived. It went into the brain and the brain formulated an idea. That idea created the "ritualistic behaviours".

Therefore the ritualistic behaviours could not be the origin.

I am not familiar with god of the gaps. What is it?

It's basically the idea that as the world is more and more understood by science, God becomes attributed to only matters that are mysteries.

Interesting. I've heard of the idea, just not that it was called god of the gaps :lol:

Science is a tool for understanding and by using it we understand the world we perceive to an extent. Science helps us push that extent.

What exists that can not be "boiled down" to the point of it becoming a mystery?
And when it becomes a mystery we use science to get to the next mystery.

It is in this endless searching and finding that is why I believe the existence of a higher power/powers can only be proven true in time or constantly remain a mystery. And if/when said power is found through science, science can still be used (example="Why does this exist/happen this way" and then using science to try and figure that out)

So to anyone that says science has disproved the god/gods, I have to logically disagree.
Religions can be proved correct or incorrect through science.
The existence of the being/beings that those religions are centered around can only be proven correct or remain a mystery.

I've been getting back into the swing of drawing/sketching, to occupy my spare time. Takes a long time to complete a piece, but I forgot how fun it is. So now I'm doing a drawing each, as a Christmas gift for each of my close IRL friends.

One is of Roger the Alien thus far, and the other is a bong with eyeballs and a double helix sprouting out of the bowl. Fuckin' fun to draw.

Why would anyone do stupid stuff to his brother's girlfriend? Just tell her to stop bothering you and leave you alone. I'll guarantee you she'll understand.

Not gonna do anything (overly) stupid, but she has been manipulating and playing my brother and family into letting her stay; always with the "I can't go home, I have family problems at home" card. I mean, it's not as bad as it was before, but still.

If I have to start jerking the bird openly, or walking around in the nude one day, to make her think twice about staying, so be it. I have no shame.

NOW ENTERING JASPER, ON
TAKE OFF YOUR DIGNITY AND STAY AWHILE​

It was more about science to better understand religion/the world around us.....:)lol: Just trollin'. I completely understand this is not the thread to continue that discussion.:))

I've been getting back into the swing of drawing/sketching, to occupy my spare time. Takes a long time to complete a piece, but I forgot how fun it is. So now I'm doing a drawing each, as a Christmas gift for each of my close IRL friends.

One is of Roger the Alien thus far, and the other is a bong with eyeballs and a double helix sprouting out of the bowl. Fuckin' fun to draw.

:headbang: Should show em' in the pic thread.

I used to draw a lot and it was always tons of fun. I have no clue why I stopped.