New Social Thread

Only "stupid" thing I see in it is that he had to have someone translate words into something that I'm assuming he can't read.

As for the phrase, what were his reasons?

After some research, it appears that the trimurti concept came about after Christianity, but I'm still a little suspicious. I'm pretty sure the gods Bhraman, Shiva, and Vishnu were around way before Christianity, and the website that talked about the trimurti coming after Christianity was Catholic, so I can't trust it too much.

Indeed they were! :Shedevil:

It's one thing for those three gods to have been around before Christianity, but the trimurti concept is a bit different.

Only "stupid" thing I see in it is that he had to have someone translate words into something that I'm assuming he can't read.

As for the phrase, what were his reasons?

It confused me, too. Perhaps if he wanted me to do it in Greek, since that's what I'm teaching him. Perhaps he's Catholic.

I didn't ask for his reasons. It's the professional thing to do not to discuss religious preferences with students unless they ask.

Ah, I understand.

Yeah I was thinking he's either Catholic or into the "We are all going to burn for this" black metal. :lol:

And what are the roots of the vedic roots? and of those roots? and of those roots? ... :lol:

Who knows? The best guess I've found is the origin of pretty much all religions: humans performing ritualistic behaviors to try and change the course of nature in their favor, and later personifying it into the form of gods, and then yeah.

Pigeons have been shown to exhibit similar behaviors. There were pigeons fed at regular intervals who remembered how they behaved when they were fed and then would do it when they were hungry.

At the core lies a phenomenon. Either a human witnessing another human/something in nature behaving differently or something out of this consciousness.

Or a human thinks that that's what's happening. People don't sacrifice a bull so that a giant lobster will magically appear right before their eyes, because they subconsciously know that that's less likely than a natural phenomenon like rain.

There is reason to believe that natural selection has rewarded gullibility in humans as a survival tactic. It starts with humans who don't fuck with lions because they're told not to live longer than those who have to learn from experience the fact that fucking with a lion will get them killed. It's to too big of a leap to see how this can soon evolve into belief in mythology/religion.

Sort of. I was more talking about the possibility that the holy trinity concept had Vedic roots.

Since the Catholic(universal) church was formed by creating a conglomerate religion, I would not be surprised that it had roots going back farther and more varied.

There is reason to believe that natural selection has rewarded gullibility in humans as a survival tactic. It starts with humans who don't fuck with lions because they're told not to live longer than those who have to learn from experience the fact that fucking with a lion will get them killed. It's to too big of a leap to see how this can soon evolve into belief in mythology/religion.

I remember reading in a book, I think the God Delusion, that many logical fallacies evolved as survival tactics. I remember in a cracked article reading that logic was theorized to have been invented as a means of convincing other humans to make choices that one wants them to make. This same reasoning could be used to question things that could keep humans safe, so in turn the ability to think that something not based on logic was fact allowed us to have the best of both worlds: the ability to figure out new things that could increase productivity and survival, but not have things that kept safety called into question.

I remember reading in a book, I think the God Delusion, that many logical fallacies evolved as survival tactics. I remember in a cracked article reading that logic was theorized to have been invented as a means of convincing other humans to make choices that one wants them to make. This same reasoning could be used to question things that could keep humans safe, so in turn the ability to think that something not based on logic was fact allowed us to have the best of both worlds: the ability to figure out new things that could increase productivity and survival, but not have things that kept safety called into question.

Logic only leads you to a correct answer if it starts on a correct premise.

That's correct.

There must be some kind of mix of New Age/World and Jazz out there somewhere. Miles Davis mixed with Dead Can Dance? EARGASM. If there isn't any, I will make it. I think it would be an amazing mix.

Or a human thinks that that's what's happening.

Phenomenon means "any observable occurrence", so for it to be observed there would be a human. And by observing, that human would use his/her mind and essentially run with the idea....

I read this and thought "......wuh....that's kinda what I meant", unless I'm still mistaken. :lol:

I didn't stop at "a human thought it up" and continued the process into "what influenced the creation of this idea".

Maybe an early human got into some shrooms? Maybe a some massive natural event,... Something happened to help create the idea of god/gods. We already know why people don't believe in god/gods.

I don't trust a lot of people's personal accounts for religious things. It's possible for suggestion to completely fabricate a memory in someone when it never actually happened. Also, a memory of something weird can change over time into something way different than what it originally was. Memories are interpretations, not recordings. It's more like a sketch artist than a photograph.

Those memories had to have something to influence them in order for them to be created.

So again, at the core lies a phenomenon. Something that early peoples experienced and then ran with in thier minds.

Either there was a being/beings of power and it influenced people to start religion, or the wind blew and that was the influence.

Something took place and was perceived, correctly or incorrectly, and then the mind worked on it.

The mind/body doesn't work very well if there is nothing to perceive.

So people can fabricate ideas, but there is usually something that had to be perceived in order to create them.

Or, you know, they imagined it. I'm sure when you were a kid you imagined all kinds of stuff with your friends. The only difference is back before there was science or even civilization, there weren't exactly adults or education around to tell you it was bullshit.

The mind does work if there is nothing to perceive. Hallucinations. They can happen in all kinds of ways, including sensory deprivation and fixation upon an image.