New Social Thread

I'm not really a wine drinker, so I don't really know shitty wines from good wines. I just thought a bottle of wine would be good for that occasion. Should have had my girlfriend pick out a bottle of wine maybe..

It was also Pinot Noir, not Zin

In an experiment done on a wine-reviewing magazine, the difference in taste was found to mostly come from the brand name and the price.

Well, registration day. Academic bureacracy fucking sucks.

Running through hoops for seven hours eventually equals "registered PhD student." But I wanted to shoot something.

a three or four dollar bottle of wine from Trader Joe's won the World's Best Wine competition a few years ago.

Not really a matter of the price if yellowtail here as there are plenty of on par options cheaper than it. A good pinot noir for around the same price as yellow tail woul be Mark West, or even Le Grand, Smoking Loon or Cavit.

Whew. Figured everything out; I'm really excited to get back into graduate study. Course schedule for the semester is:

Chaucer (The Canterbury Tales and Troilus and Criseyde)
Less Read 19th-century British Novels
History/Theory of the English Novel
Succession and Early Modern Tragedy

Time to kick some literary ass.

Whew. Figured everything out; I'm really excited to get back into graduate study. Course schedule for the semester is:

Chaucer (The Canterbury Tales and Troilus and Criseyde)
Less Read 19th-century British Novels
History/Theory of the English Novel
Succession and Early Modern Tragedy

Time to kick some literary ass.

I have admiration for anyone who can make it through Chaucer. Are you reading it in Middle English? Because that would be even more admirable. I finished my BA in Religious Studies, of all things, and have toyed with the idea of getting my Master's, but not sure what I want to concentrate on...let alone figuring out my Thesis. Good luck!

I have admiration for anyone who can make it through Chaucer. Are you reading it in Middle English? Because that would be even more admirable. I finished my BA in Religious Studies, of all things, and have toyed with the idea of getting my Master's, but not sure what I want to concentrate on...let alone figuring out my Thesis. Good luck!

Thanks. It is in the Middle English; the professor who teaches Chaucer here at Boston is also educated in linguistics and philology, so deciphering the Middle English is part of the course. He also asks us to read lines aloud.

The Canterbury Tales are one big steaming pile of overhyped literary -bleep-.

Come on man! Honestly, this is such ridiculous comment.

First of all: if it's overhyped, it's overhyped by undergrads who had to muddle through survey courses reading Chaucer and all gather together around the claim that The Canterbury Tales "just aren't appropriate anymore" and have "no applicability." More often than not, these criticisms are made by lazy academics who wish they didn't have to suffer through actual verse.

Second: it's far from overhyped among faculty in English departments, considering you're likely to only find one Medievalist in English departments today (if at all), and many of them are retiring. Chaucer is receding into the historical dustbin, for better or worse.

Third: if you even slightly hope to grasp the history of the English language and literature, I don't see how you can be so dismissive. It's the most famous and important work of Middle English, which allows us to trace etmylogical and philological influences through texts such as Beowulf or The Dream of the Rood into texts by Chaucer, Langland, and Gower, and on to see how the language evolves into modern English (which is actually Shakespeare, despite what some people say). Furthermore, it chronicles English literary development in the Middle Ages, and offers a window into the social expectations and classifications of the period. And...

Fourth (and last): it is one of the most important works in the English vernacular that actually influenced a wider range of texts also written in English. Vernacular writing was slow to take root in history; each culture needs its catalyst. The Italians had Dante. The French had Chrétien de Troyes. The English had Chaucer. I don't think you can overhype that.

Thanks. It is in the Middle English; the professor who teaches Chaucer here at Boston is also educated in linguistics and philology, so deciphering the Middle English is part of the course. He also asks us to read lines aloud.

We had to do that in my Middle English class in grad school. It was really interesting, and after a while, reading Middle English wasn't a problem at all.

Come on man! Honestly, this is such ridiculous comment.

First of all: if it's overhyped, it's overhyped by undergrads who had to muddle through survey courses reading Chaucer and all gather together around the claim that The Canterbury Tales "just aren't appropriate anymore" and have "no applicability." More often than not, these criticisms are made by lazy academics who wish they didn't have to suffer through actual verse.

Second: it's far from overhyped among faculty in English departments, considering you're likely to only find one Medievalist in English departments today (if at all), and many of them are retiring. Chaucer is receding into the historical dustbin, for better or worse.

Third: if you even slightly hope to grasp the history of the English language and literature, I don't see how you can be so dismissive. It's the most famous and important work of Middle English, which allows us to trace etmylogical and philological influences through texts such as Beowulf or The Dream of the Rood into texts by Chaucer, Langland, and Gower, and on to see how the language evolves into modern English (which is actually Shakespeare, despite what some people say). Furthermore, it chronicles English literary development in the Middle Ages, and offers a window into the social expectations and classifications of the period. And...

Fourth (and last): it is one of the most important works in the English vernacular that actually influenced a wider range of texts also written in English. Vernacular writing was slow to take root in history; each culture needs its catalyst. The Italians had Dante. The French had Chrétien de Troyes. The English had Chaucer. I don't think you can overhype that.

We spent a lot of time in my Eng Lit class (years ago now) on TCT I fact, it's the only book (other than Beowulf) that we went over that I remember because I hated it so much. I really don't care about it's place in literary history. The story in itself, in all phases I can think of, has absolutely zero engaging qualities, as in, a modernized version, even completely reworked to be a typical modern non-fiction work probably wouldn't even get a full read from a publishing editor before getting rejected. Beowulf, although more difficult to read, was still considerably more interesting.