New Social Thread

New blog post is up. I'm trying to focus more on theory, so this one actually only looks at nonfiction texts, and is pretty heavy on the "speculative" side of things. Hope at least some people enjoy it.

I was hired for my new job a couple weeks before Christmas, and since most of my colleagues were gone over the holidays, I got loads upon loads of work done. Thanks to my efforts, my boss has given me carte blanche on my breaks and tomfoolery.

I love this job.

I'm so freakin' excited for my seminars this semester:

Studies in Literature & Arts: Stanley Kubrick

1950s America

19th-Century Gothic Narratives

Contemporary Literature and Ordinary Language

Skimming through that post at work. Lots of interesting stuff, and I'm liking what I see with respect to how you break with Benjamin's line of thought. I'll give it a serious reading when I get to my computer and see if I can generate something of substance.

Awesome looking schedule, the Kubrick class in particular. I'm taking the semester off due to being broke as fuck, so here's to hoping I can stay productive.

I'm so freakin' excited for my seminars this semester:

Studies in Literature & Arts: Stanley Kubrick

1950s America

19th-Century Gothic Narratives

Contemporary Literature and Ordinary Language

That sounds pretty awesome. My semester just started, it's my last semester of undergrad. Our university just changed the English track in the last couple years, so I've done all the old track but the capstone is changed, so everyone is doing the new capstone. Now we are required to write a 25-40 page senior thesis. I am unsure what I'm going to write about, but I am kind of excited for it anyway. I'm also in a Literary Theory and Criticism class, so I'm finally going to learn some of the theory behind what I've been doing for the last 3 years haha.

I was talking to one of my friends on Facebook about King Crimson last night, and my great aunt chimes in all like, "King Crimson is one of my favorite bands. I've seen them twice."

I got prog rock in my blood, nigga.

Yes > all

also elp

Mathiäs;10526474 said:
Yes > all

also elp

I would say that both Yes and ELP had fantastic classic phases, and terrible pop prog phases. King Crimson kept a fresh lineup in each of its phases and Fripp's visionary approach helped the band to age gracefully. Discipline is actually a really good record.

Thanks sevag00.

Yeah man a dreadnought is a warship with all big guns that was a huge part of the nationalist movements/arms races in the late 19th/early 20th centuries.

It's also a figurative term used for big things, kinda like giant, mammoth or titan. None of us have dreadlocks.

Yes has some pretty good pop albums though. 90125 was enjoyable, though much of their stuff after that is garbage.

I just got trying to put pro tools 10 on windows 8. Was an arduous task.

Skimming through that post at work. Lots of interesting stuff, and I'm liking what I see with respect to how you break with Benjamin's line of thought. I'll give it a serious reading when I get to my computer and see if I can generate something of substance.

Awesome looking schedule, the Kubrick class in particular. I'm taking the semester off due to being broke as fuck, so here's to hoping I can stay productive.

Thanks man, I admit it's a rather speculative post; I'm not that interested in making an argument, but mostly want to try and suggest alternate avenues, especially for interpreting Benjamin's essay, which I think is a fantastic piece, but a) often misinterpreted, and b) flawed.

From conversing with you in the past, I don't think you'll have much trouble keeping busy. I can email you some articles on speculative materialism if you want. :cool:

That sounds pretty awesome. My semester just started, it's my last semester of undergrad. Our university just changed the English track in the last couple years, so I've done all the old track but the capstone is changed, so everyone is doing the new capstone. Now we are required to write a 25-40 page senior thesis. I am unsure what I'm going to write about, but I am kind of excited for it anyway. I'm also in a Literary Theory and Criticism class, so I'm finally going to learn some of the theory behind what I've been doing for the last 3 years haha.

Literary theory and criticism can be very... well, scary when you first encounter it. The trick is just to push yourself through, and eventually it gets easier. A big part of it is learning the terminology. Out of curiosity, are you working from Eagleton's book?

Mathiäs;10527013 said:
Yes has some pretty good pop albums though. 90125 was enjoyable, though much of their stuff after that is garbage.

I just got trying to put pro tools 10 on windows 8. Was an arduous task.

The holy trinity for Yes is Relayer, Fragile, and Close to the Edge. The Yes Album's decent. Tormato and Tales from Topographic Oceans, meh.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...ing-nhl-headshot-now-more-071245013--nhl.html

159sdsd579732.jpg

BURNS_NEW_BEARD.jpg

Literary theory and criticism can be very... well, scary when you first encounter it. The trick is just to push yourself through, and eventually it gets easier. A big part of it is learning the terminology. Out of curiosity, are you working from Eagleton's book?

We're actually using Richter's text, The Critical Tradition: Classic Texts and Contemporary Trends We're alternating every session between a modern author and an ancient author. Today we discussed mostly Jung's essay on the relation of Analytical Psychology in relation to poetry. It was really interesting, I can see it being something I might put in conversation with Loren Eisely and like Lovecraft or something for my thesis. I still need to figure that out. But texts like this, I find very engaging.