New Social Thread

^Agreed. It's unfortunate though that many politicians can bend them so easily to their wills.

Taking advantage of a retard is nothing to be proud of.

Well Cythraul does it in a well-read way. Perhaps all libertarians are deluded and Randian, but you gotta appreciate their vision.

Well, you have to appreciate a communist's vision too, even if they're also deluded and Marxian. I mean, it's not like the common communist's ideal image of society consists of mass genocide and general disorder and evil.

The guy in the picture was probably attempting to point out that Hitler's first piece of big social legislation was government health care.

Big government is big government, whether it's communism or facism or any other overpowering ruling mechanism, it's never good for the little guy, but is always advertised as being so.

Big government is big government, whether it's communism or facism or any other overpowering ruling mechanism, it's never good for the little guy, but is always advertised as being so.

It is impossible for anything the government does to be of benefit to all of it's citizens?

Communism can be pretty fucking rad when actually implemented correctly. There are quite a few Jewish communes who hold together in the states under a communist manifesto and do really well. The distribution of wealth isn't a problem (at least for one specific commune I have heard of), seeing as the one WWII author makes a shit-ton of cash every year and is fine dividing it between the commune; everyone is really taken care of.

But that is also communism on a smaller scale. Just saying though, it's no where near impossible for a large government to be anti-individual.

I'm going to Arizona in about 9 weeks. Anyone ever been there or live there? Any neat places there?

I live in Phoenix, which sucks balls. There's very little of interest in this city. I like Flagstaff and the White Mountains since those are at higher elevations and thus look nicer than over here where everything looks dead. I like going to Whiskey Row in Prescott to get smashed. They always have good beer specials. Tucson, my birthplace, is a lot better than Phoenix. This will sound really stupid but it's a lot more "cultural." It's also not as spread out, traffic-y, and annoying. Then of course there is the Grand Canyon which is quite an awesome sight to behold. There is also Sedona which is a short drive from Phoenix. You can go there and check out the energy vortexes and align your chakras and other retarded shit.

WeAreInFlames said:
It is impossible for anything the government does to be of benefit to all of it's citizens?

Perhaps not logically impossible, but it might be a practical impossibility. In democratic polities, policy tends to redistribute from the disorganized masses to well-organized and concentrated interest groups. That's not exactly what I would call a pareto improvement. Plus every single state intervention into the affairs of citizens has some sort of cost and it's not often clear that the costs don't cancel out or outweigh the purported benefits. Also, politicians have an incentive to be short-sighted, so there is reason to think that politicians will generally not take into account the long run consequences of their policies.

I'm going to Arizona in about 9 weeks. Anyone ever been there or live there? Any neat places there?

Arizona is a really big state. I've been to Tucson a few times, the surrounding areas are gorgeous. If you go there, visit Sabino Canyon and Saguaro National Park for nature. I hear there is a decent metal scene and good nightlife but you're too young to get into the bars.

I might move there after I come back from Japan. My father wants to die in Tucson, he'd like us to leave him in the desert to die of exposure. Sometimes I wish he'd up his lithium intake so I didn't have to listen to that shit.

Edit: Also Cythraul can you elaborate some about the nightlife?

My gf is moving to Tucson also. She is asian. Maybe you two can compare your Hello Kitty backpacks.

That sucks if she is moving there and you are not and it will make you RONG DISTANCE.

I don't like that cutesy shit. But about that cat thing, did you know Hello Kitty has a line called "Teen Angst" where they dress her up like a mallgoth? Also her boyfriend's name is Daniel. I learned the latter fact from postage stamps I bought at the local post office.

Edit: Also Cythraul can you elaborate some about the nightlife?

4th Avenue was my stomping ground when I was an undergrad. There's a nice variety of bars there. You can hang out with black people at North, or you can hang out with hipsters at Plush, or you can hang out with bros at O'Malleys, or you can go to the Shanty which has a nice selection of beer though it is a bit pricey. Sometimes I may find myself at Sharks dancing with slutty latin chicks or whatever. Club Congress is also fun, though it's pretty hipster.

That sucks if she is moving there and you are not and it will make you RONG DISTANCE.

We're already long distance. She lives in Washington right now. If she moves to Tucson it will be way easier to hang out.

Oh dayum. Get her to Tucson ASAP! How's that going, by the way? Any better?

I get along with all the demographics you mentioned. Will look into it, though right now Austin TX is looking the most appealing. I don't know what it is but I don't really rub elbows that well with hipsters now that I think about it. I've always gotten along best with nerds.

Today I went shopping in my new shiny liquid vinyl pants and 6 people commented on them. They are the most comfortable pair of pants I have ever worn. They are magical. :cool:

Oh dayum. Get her to Tucson ASAP! How's that going, by the way? Any better?

Slightly better. The move to Tucson will be a good experiment for us to see how well we'll get along when we see eachother more often. Our problems are definitely exacerbated by the distance thing.