New years resolution: Lose over 30kg weight. Need halp

Man your getting an overload of information here. I instead of giving you a workout plan ask a question. What was your exercise/diet like when you lost all that weight in the Finnish army?

I'd say try out your local gyms, find something you enjoy, rather than pushing yourself into a boredom induced coma.
Because it's more than likely that you'll see much better results with weight training or something other than straight endurance running.

Having been a gym rat in years past, the best pointers I can give are these:

- Don't suddenly cut your food intake almost entirely. You need to break up your meals into 5 or 6 small servings per day. This keeps your metabolism going and essentially allows you to burn more fat even while sitting on your arse. This isn't very convenient and easy to do, but with discipline you will find a way to make it work.

- Keep any weights exercises moderate. Your goal while attempting to lose 30kg is to minimize the amount of muscle mass loss along with the fat loss. All the weights are doing is essentially maintenance, to ensure that you don't end up a scrawny weakling after your marathon weight loss journey is over. Building muscle while losing fat is next to impossible to do, so don't even try, unless you have Arnie genes.

- Change your carbohydrate intake to mostly low GI types. This means brown rice, basmati rice, rye bread, sweet potatoes, carby vegetables (green beans are ace) etc.

- Get a lot of lean protein. Chicken breast, lean steak, turkey breast, tuna etc.

- Get some 'good' fats in your diet. Salmon and flax seed oil were my staples. I'd usually dress my salads with the flax seed oil.

- Avoid iceberg lettuce; It's mostly water. Eat things such as tomato, cucumber, carrot, broccoli, cabbage, snow peas, green beans etc.

- Supplementing with a quality protein shake will help. I used VP2 for years, and it's the shit.

- Cardio will need to become routine for you. Longer, slower sessions will burn more overall body mass. Shorter, more intense sessions will burn minimal mass, whilst strengthening your cardiovascular system (making you 'more fit'). I personally can't stand being on the recumbent bike any more than about 20 to 30 mins per day, so I give it my all and want to shit out my internal organs after I'm done with a session, but in your case you may be better off weathering some longer sessions (an hour or so) of more moderate intensity exercise because it will burn mass quicker. You need to be careful here though because this is how most people lose their muscle mass along with the fat.

Good luck. Stay motivated, and don't slouch off with your routine. Most importantly: don't start a 'diet'... these are just fads with no long-term sustainability. What you need to do is upheave your lifestyle and food intake for the long-run, and adopt a system that works for you day-to-day.

Can't say much that hasn't been mentioned already. Water is key, I tried upping my water intake to 4L a day for a while.. I couldn't sustain it (peeing CONSTANTLY) but it also pretty much completely took away my appetite. If you're hungry, have a litre of water, piss it out 20 mins later and see if you're still hungry.

If you fall of the diet, just get back on the next day. No-one's perfect, and if you're eating healthy 95% of the time that's fine to treat yourself. Just don't let it get out of control.

Low GI alternatives too. I switched to brown rice and wholegrain bread and MUCH prefer it to the high GI alternatives. The downside (for rice anyway) is it takes a little longer to cook. And I can't stand wholemeal pasta, so I have spinach, which is halfway between white and wholemeal.

Even if you don't want to build muscle, start lifting weights as well. More muscle burns more calories. There's a reason the 200 pound bodybuilders need far more calories than a 200 pound fat man.

Finally, and this is perhaps a fairly extreme plan, but look into the Warrior diet. It's basically eating once a day. I haven't tried it, but the benefits seem to be almost never feeling hungry (stuff yourself at night, drink water and perhaps eat some nuts during the day), and feeling far more energetic because your body isn't digesting 24/7. It is a pretty extreme method, but some people swear by it, and if you're up to it I'd give it a go.

Lastly, fat itself does not make you fat. Fat has a higher caloric content than protein or carbs (9cals/gram as opposed to 4 for protein and carbs), so a little bit of fat can have a lot of calories. But it keeps you fuller than carbs (protein wins out of all 3 tho), and is nutritionally really good for you. Obviously avoid transfats. Beware of 'low-fat' alternatives, some will replace the lost fat with a ton of sugar and artifical crap to get the taste back, resulting in more calories and a more processed food. Not all are like this though - read the label.

Hire a nutritionist. It will probably be the best money you've ever spent.

Down the list, exercise, sleep orderly and remember to eat frequent small meals (boosts up metabolism).

Some good advice here

Don't jump on the stupid DIET train!!!!

I would recommend you to ride a bicycle or use a Crosstrainer which is an awesome machine, I prefer running which is superior to all if yu want to lose weight but i understand why you don't like it. Combine this with lifting weights and your safe.
Minimum 3-5times a week. There is no way around this. It takes allot of hard work so if you're determine you will get results man!!!
If you go to the gym they have Personal Trainers who can help you put up a program and a diet if you like.

When you weigh as much as you do you need to do some serious changes when it comes to what you eat, drink etc. If you just commit to this you will lose allot of weight fast!!!

Good luck and keep us updated

This is similar to my experience.
In 2010 I lost about 7kgs just because I started doing light weights (started with 7kg dumbells, went to 10kg) and adjusted my diet very slightly.

Basically I started doing the weights to work my back as a relief from lower back pain.
If you're worried about your ankles I'd recommend a light weight training + cardio routine. Remember to invest in some good shoes and professional advice. Keep your mind on form, not getting stronger or loosing weight like crazy. It won't help if you hurt yourself and can't perform your routine for 3 weeks or more.

Where I saw the best results in weight loss and strength gain were when I searched the net for some balance excercises using a swiss ball and without one.
Holding poses using your own body weight is VERY effective in getting your heart rate up and using multiple muscle groups at the same time.

Good luck dude!

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this (haven't read word for word)- don't expect to suddenly give up what you've begun once you get to your goal.
As you saw in the past yourself- if you stop and allow yourself back to your old habits your effort now will be pointless.

With that in mind, keep yourself motivated by finding, or continually looking for activities that you like doing in place of the often boring running/ cycling.

Having been a gym rat in years past, the best pointers I can give are these:

- Don't suddenly cut your food intake almost entirely. You need to break up your meals into 5 or 6 small servings per day. This keeps your metabolism going and essentially allows you to burn more fat even while sitting on your arse. This isn't very convenient and easy to do, but with discipline you will find a way to make it work.

- Keep any weights exercises moderate. Your goal while attempting to lose 30kg is to minimize the amount of muscle mass loss along with the fat loss. All the weights are doing is essentially maintenance, to ensure that you don't end up a scrawny weakling after your marathon weight loss journey is over. Building muscle while losing fat is next to impossible to do, so don't even try, unless you have Arnie genes.

- Change your carbohydrate intake to mostly low GI types. This means brown rice, basmati rice, rye bread, sweet potatoes, carby vegetables (green beans are ace) etc.

- Get a lot of lean protein. Chicken breast, lean steak, turkey breast, tuna etc.

- Get some 'good' fats in your diet. Salmon and flax seed oil were my staples. I'd usually dress my salads with the flax seed oil.

- Avoid iceberg lettuce; It's mostly water. Eat things such as tomato, cucumber, carrot, broccoli, cabbage, snow peas, green beans etc.

- Supplementing with a quality protein shake will help. I used VP2 for years, and it's the shit.

- Cardio will need to become routine for you. Longer, slower sessions will burn more overall body mass. Shorter, more intense sessions will burn minimal mass, whilst strengthening your cardiovascular system (making you 'more fit'). I personally can't stand being on the recumbent bike any more than about 20 to 30 mins per day, so I give it my all and want to shit out my internal organs after I'm done with a session, but in your case you may be better off weathering some longer sessions (an hour or so) of more moderate intensity exercise because it will burn mass quicker. You need to be careful here though because this is how most people lose their muscle mass along with the fat.

Good luck. Stay motivated, and don't slouch off with your routine. Most importantly: don't start a 'diet'... these are just fads with no long-term sustainability. What you need to do is upheave your lifestyle and food intake for the long-run, and adopt a system that works for you day-to-day.

Eeeeeeeeee, the VP2 stuff is good for just before workout in small doses, but as far using it for a food protein source, protein that is hydrolyzed to that extent is way too expensive for that.
The need for a protein source immediately after workout has been debunked as long as you got in a good preworkout meal. I tend to just like having a protein shake after because it makes me feel refreshed and keeps me a little bit satisfied until I can be bothered having a proper meal an hour or so later.
It's better to just stick with a regular whey protein concentrate, isolate, or an isolate/concentrate blend if the goal is to just lose weight and one requires something to fill them up when they don't have time to make a meal.

Edit:

Personally, my two favorite protein powders are

ultra_peptide_whey_130_black.jpeg

Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide Whey.
There are other powders equally as good tasting, but I haven't found any that are as well priced for this.
I like using this about 30-45 minutes preworkout.

And

XF-UP2.jpg

Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide 2.0, which is a micellar/whey isolate blend.
It's not cheap, but christ it's THE best tasting protein powder in existence as far as I'm concerned, and it fills you up fairly good because it's a little bit higher in fat than most protein powders, but it's all healthy fats.
Serves as an excellent meal replacement when time is not on your side.

You people are getting it wrong!
He said it himself- doesn't want to bodybuild, but to lose fat; get lean & healthy!

Those protein shakes are ALL but natural. That's putting even MUCH MORE strain on your liver! (look at the video I posted, people).
If you start taking those things instead of natural protein you can do damage to your liver (been down that road). And if you're on the chunky side you will get MUCH FATTER with it.
That kind of product is designed for bodybuilders; not even pro athletes such as NFL's use that stuff all that much-

VP2 is not a weight-gainer. Simply supplementing with it twice a day let me shed weight, and I wasn't even doing any cardiovascular exercise at the time - just anabolic.

Read what I wrote originally. I suggested that he only do weights as a maintenance/precaution so that he doesn't eat into too much muscle tissue if he goes really hard on the weight loss. Nobody is going to lose 30kgs and simultaneously body-build... it just isn't possible with most people's genes/lack of desire to take steroids.

Lean whey protein sources like VP2 are a pure way of delivering quality protein to the body. Even a single serve per day will help him shed weight.... I certainly didn't believe it was possible to do, until I started using it.

You are right that most of those powders do put a strain on the liver though. It's important to be moderate in using them.

Ermin I was referring to what Harry was saying, not you. An ONLY protein shake could help a bit, but if you want to lose weight it's going to be first and foremost about changing your dietary habits and start learning how to eat right.

Let's not turn this into a bb discussion because that's not what anssi needs. He needs to go and see a PROFESSIONAL nutritionist (not just a gym coach with some degree of knowledge) that evaluates his particular case, and starts giving him serious advice and follow up.

Ermin I was referring to what Harry was saying, not you. An ONLY protein shake could help a bit, but if you want to lose weight it's going to be first and foremost about changing your dietary habits and start learning how to eat right.

Let's not turn this into a bb discussion because that's not what anssi needs. He needs to go and see a PROFESSIONAL nutritionist (not just a gym coach with some degree of knowledge) that evaluates his particular case, and starts giving him serious advice and follow up.

Bodybuilding doesn't just mean 'turn into a huge muscular monster'. It means building you body. Whether you are taking a 150kg obese man and building him into a fit 80kg runner or a explosive 100kg football player.

But to most people I guess they'll perceive bb to mean 'huge and muscular'. Ahh well.

You'll notice in that ebook I posted there is some excellent nutritional information.

Not to be a dick or anything, but I think it's universally accepted that Bodybuilding refers to the sport, rather than general fitness.......

If you lift any weights while taking protein powder for more than two weeks at a time you'll end up like Arnie, don't risk it >.>

Personally I don't think there's much reason for Anssi (sp?) to take a protein shake. A bit of chicken will fill you up more, and has better protein. It'll cost a bit more but if he's cutting down I don't think cost is that much of an issue. Anything you can get from a powder you can get more efficiently from a proper food.

Also, to reiterate what someone said before - nutrition is REALLY important. Arguably more than the exercise. Little treats here and there are fine, but every time you're looking at a twinky, debate whether those 10 seconds of pleasure are worth 20 minutes on the treadmill.

Finally, if you do see a professional nutritionist Anssi, I'm curious to see what they have to say, beyond eating real foods, protein to fill you up, low GI carbs, and loads of green, non-starchy veges. However, it would be useful to get a singular professional opinion rather than the ramblings and arguments of 15 different forum members with no authority or credentials. PM me if you do go see one.

oh, and good luck!

Cardio BEFORE eating anything in the morning. That way your burning the fat as you haven't consumed any calories yet.

Ask the people selling you the food what is the healthiest options, some things seem healthy but you will be surprised sometimes.

Strong flavoured foods with little fat, I like tuna, mustard, spicy stuff. You gotta find the stuff you can tollerate.

Proteins make you feel full.

Tell your friends and family of your plans, that way you will not want to go back on your word or not let anybody down

Leave dumbells around the house. If you're watching tv, why not do some high rep low weight weights. You've got something in the micro wave for a few minutes, do a few sit ups/push ups while you wait.

If you're not married or in a relationship, think about all the sexy women you will pull when your looking good. If you are in a relationship your girl wants you to look good, even if she says otherwise.

Good luck

Losing fat without increasing muscle size is a straight road to becoming even more fat - your body will "think" it has to store fat much more efficiently for next high cardio time periods.
This is the main cause of the so called "yo-yo effect".

If you don't want to regain all the fat plus some more after you get bored with all the trouble and pain:

1. Increase your resting metabolism rate by increasing your muscle size - you will be able to just lie on your couch watching tv and eating junk food without becoming fat ever again.

2. Eliminate the "getting bored" part by finding something you love in lifting heavy weighs (for me it is being strong and stronger with every training session :) you know... kinda "above" all the people surrounding me)

I'd say at this point Anssi needs to make a choice and get to work. There is probably more information here than it is worth given that none of us know him or his lifestyle habits.

Keep us posted on your progress Anssi!

Finally, if you do see a professional nutritionist Anssi, I'm curious to see what they have to say, beyond eating real foods, protein to fill you up, low GI carbs, and loads of green, non-starchy veges. However, it would be useful to get a singular professional opinion rather than the ramblings and arguments of 15 different forum members with no authority or credentials. PM me if you do go see one.

oh, and good luck!

I just checked from the nutritionist unions website (at least I think it's "ravintoterapeutti" in Finnish) that the closest nutritionist lives 90km away from me, and not owning a car doesn't help. It would take about 5 hours with bus.

---

Btw, stupid question: When people list their exercise routines, they write something 3x10. So does it mean do it 10 times, rest, do 10, rest and do 10 or does it mean do 10, rest, do the next thing, rest do the next thing etc. and usually how long is the rest in between? like a few seconds/minutes?