Next album... black metal?!

Wavebreaker

Apollo Rises!!!!
Jul 28, 2003
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Hey, when Opeth played in Montreal last week, Lopez kept playin little death metal beats between songs. Akerfeldt had to quiet down the croud every time and re-explain that it was a mellow concert. After the fifth time, he introduced the keyboard player and went on to say that, chances are, the next album was going to be BLACK METAL.
By this a take it he means super freakin' heavy Opeth music with symphonic keys thrown in the mix! Isn't that just soooo fucking ideal?
That's what I think anyways!

By the way, to any Montreal Opeth fans who happen to be keyboardists or drummers, I invite you to contact me if you're interested in playing with a heavy-ass progressive metal band (influences include Opeth, Symphony X, Nevermore, Death, Dream Theater (withought the keyboard solos... ugh), Emperor (esp. the Prometheus album), Porcupine Tree, Floyd...

Opeth rules!

From what I've heard they said it's going to have BM influences. It seems like a good idea, I just hope that if they use keyboards it's not that annoying CoF style synth. I hate that.

Oh, and i REALLY dig the idea of an "Opethian" black metal album.... i have a feeling the writing style will be similer to their Morningrise days (when they were gods).

A regression would be fucking worthless. If they want to expand their horizons and build on their past achievements, great, but mimicking something they did many years ago because lots of fans think that's when they were still "tr00" would be totally stupid.

I agree with Ian. Progressive band = needs to progress, not regress. Not to mention black metal has been beaten to a pulp, and is insanely boring now, not even Opeth could re-inspire it for me i think. Oh well, whatever.

From what I read in an interview the next album prolly will be Black Metal and Lopez is so fucking excited about it! I can't wait for it either! Opeth does what they do best. Change. I am always open for another loop in the Opeth rollercoaster.

Was Mikael serious or was he just fucking with the audience like he always does? He might have been you know. I just think it's odd that because Mikael has mentioned in an interview and now at a concert that there might be black metal stuff in the next album that everyone is taking it as absolute gospel. I highly doubt Mikael has much of an idea what the new album is going to sound like at this point.

Not that I'm saying it won't be black metal but geez people, calm the fuck down. Since the last album was written just about entirely IN THE STUDIO AND ON THE FLY I don't think you should be counting on anything.

Wavebreaker said:
Hey, when Opeth played in Montreal last week, Lopez kept playin little death metal beats between songs. Akerfeldt had to quiet down the croud every time and re-explain that it was a mellow concert. After the fifth time, he introduced the keyboard player and went on to say that, chances are, the next album was going to be BLACK METAL.
By this a take it he means super freakin' heavy Opeth music with symphonic keys thrown in the mix! Isn't that just soooo fucking ideal?
That's what I think anyways!

By the way, to any Montreal Opeth fans who happen to be keyboardists or drummers, I invite you to contact me if you're interested in playing with a heavy-ass progressive metal band (influences include Opeth, Symphony X, Nevermore, Death, Dream Theater (withought the keyboard solos... ugh), Emperor (esp. the Prometheus album), Porcupine Tree, Floyd...

Opeth rules!

its great to another montreal fan !:kickass: , where abouts in MTL you from?

and back to the thread....i highly doubt they would go in THAT direction...