Next Testament CD

Again I get the feeling of a little betrayal,but it's never good to wallow in grief for too long!The "There's no Brotherhood in Snakes"comment OUCH!!!

Yeah, I possibly went too far with the radio airplay, he he. I think Neptune's Spear could go well with a good video (that main riff and solo!), but they're all great songs and at least half of them should make videos (if Metallica can do that, why not TestAmenT too? :)). I sometimes have issues with The Number Game and sometimes the lyrics in several songs are too bothering (despite what I said to redfly some time ago), but there's really no dud in the bunch.

Wow, I really think Greg should let it go already. No matter what the truth is, the rants won't do him any good.
He's a good, intelligent guy and a world-class bass player. It's really sad how things went between him and Chuck/Eric, but it seems like it would be healthier to just move on. No matter what the truth is and who's story is right.

As far as the dispute goes, I think probably an important factor is what happened back in 1996/97. We've only had murky information concerning him splitting, the Dog Faced Gods etc. over the years. Was it drugs (remember Eric's interviews about Greg having problems with "the go-fast stuff"?) or money argument with Chuck, what was Chris Kontos' role, why did the band really split for a moment (if it really did) and re-grouped without Greggy? If it wasn't him leaving, but being let go, then perhaps he's entitled to saying he ought to be a shareholder (btw, does anyone know in what legal form the band operates?). Otherwise, the other guys may be right when saying they deserve being at the helm for carrying the flag throughout the tough times. Still, the comeback played a significant role in the band regaining its popularity and it was already over a decade ago, so maybe - from a human point of view - Chuck and Eric could consider letting it develop from "you're just a hired gun" to something more, maybe not just "equal partner" yet.

Oviously, we don't know much more than shit as far as the business end of this enterpise is concerned. Money was probably never huge in Testament. In the beginning, it was bad record deals and later bad times for metal. Now, the whole music industry went downhill, so the cake they have to share - despite being on the charts etc. - isn't very big. Eric and Chuck surely learned their economy over the years and toughened up, they're survivors and made Testament stronger than most of the other bands around + developed ways to stay above the water and provide for their families (two completely different ways, as we know). Greg, in turn, has probably suffered a lot during the time he wasn't in the band, but we must remember that he had surely gone through tough times with the band as well.

From a fan's perspective, it's always tempting to imagine that with the course of the time band members remain close friends and all that matters is having fun and creating great music. This is hardly ever the truth if the band reaches a certain level of success, but doesn't grow above that level (where everybody's a millionaire and doesn't give a fuck). Oh well, maybe one day they'll bury the hatchet again...

I hope Greg stays healthy and finds his peace. I gather his dad is dying, so that could have affected his condition. I wish him and his close ones nothing but the best, including but not limited to musical and financial success he deserves.

BTW, I'd never heard that Metallica story.

I think you nailed a lot of it one man, and yes that whole Demonic era is a real mystery. All I really know Greg went and did some Nu metal thing.
The whole thing sucks, And I get the whole Chuck and Eric held the ship down. Thank god they did! If it wasn't for them going during those times I would have been lost! But they made a big deal of the reunion thing a really big deal. Greg was gone for two albums. but also back for two albums. It seems like there should have been some path toward partial ownership.
I never heard that Metallica story either but I also thought it should have been him. Back then and now lol

Yeah, I possibly went too far with the radio airplay, he he. I think Neptune's Spear could go well with a good video (that main riff and solo!), but they're all great songs and at least half of them should make videos (if Metallica can do that, why not TestAmenT too? :)). I sometimes have issues with The Number Game and sometimes the lyrics in several songs are too bothering (despite what I said to redfly some time ago), but there's really no dud in the bunch.
I kind of feel like the lyrics are the weak part on a few songs. Waste of some really cool music. Although I don't think they are the same songs for me as they are for you one man lol Yes more videos! that's the only way to do it these days.
I wonder why only half a concept album? Time constraints?

You know, as far as lyrics go - they do sound kind of artificial or, I don't know, fake (?). Not that they ever were very wise or poetic, but you could just ignore them most of the times and sometimes even enjoy. Whereas, nowadays, you can't help but notice them and notice that something doesn't click. And it's not even my language, so I can imagine that feeling is way stronger for native speakers.

With concept albums one needs to put more time and thought into it, invent, build and develop a cohesive story. When you sit down in your backyard with your buddy and a couple of beers and want to get it done in one afternoon, it might but may as well not work.

Rushed didn't harm the music this time, although it does seem simplified at times as compared to DROE; with the lyrics, it just didn't work. And we all know Chuck can (or could in the past) come up with some neat stuff. Oh, and I can never stop wondering why he utilizes external writers (Del James, Zet), instead of asking Gene for help. Man, that guy wrote Time Does Not Heal all by himself as a kid. I bet he could do a decent job in his 40's.

Reactions: Neptune
All I really know Greg went and did some Nu metal thing.

Yeah, that was Pushed, where he was with Jon Dette. The band was supposed to be big, but went nowhere. I think Greg left before Jon - like in Meshiaak some time ago. Greg also was briefly in Havochate and had a band called Flange (Flangue?). Now that I look at it, he left a lot of bands, sometimes even before even appearing on an album. Still, he preserved the image of a cool, no-problem band member.

Like I said, he's a tremendous musician and looks like a good, humble person. I do wish him that all things in his life find their right spots and he can be happy and enjoy the success he deserves. I can relate to what you're saying about partial ownership, but I'll always be careful with unsolicited advice concerning someone's business when I don't have full data. And I guess we don't know much here. As fans, we can only hope they will find a way to reconcile.

Reactions: Neptune
You know, as far as lyrics go - they do sound kind of artificial or, I don't know, fake (?). Not that they ever were very wise or poetic, but you could just ignore them most of the times and sometimes even enjoy. Whereas, nowadays, you can't help but notice them and notice that something doesn't click. And it's not even my language, so I can imagine that feeling is way stronger for native speakers.

With concept albums one needs to put more time and thought into it, invent, build and develop a cohesive story. When you sit down in your backyard with your buddy and a couple of beers and want to get it done in one afternoon, it might but may as well not work.

Rushed didn't harm the music this time, although it does seem simplified at times as compared to DROE; with the lyrics, it just didn't work. And we all know Chuck can (or could in the past) come up with some neat stuff. Oh, and I can never stop wondering why he utilizes external writers (Del James, Zet), instead of asking Gene for help. Man, that guy wrote Time Does Not Heal all by himself as a kid. I bet he could do a decent job in his 40's.
I never had any issue with Chucks lyrics until Formation. I thought he was back in form on DROE, but some of the lyrics in these songs feel generic too me and a bit simple. And yes a bit of the subject matter as well. I know he's better than that. Don't get me wrong, non of this is really affecting my love of this album because his vocal melodies and delivery I think are in top form.

By the way one man. I'm always impressed with your grip on English. Especially American slang! If I didn't know better I could think you only moved to Poland!