NFL 2008

I hate that teams won't go for the win when they're sitting on the 3 yard line at the end of regulation. Are you telling me you'd rather hang your hat on a coin toss and have to drive 40+ yards down the field, than getting 3 yards on one play?
Especially with a defense like Cincinnati's... it's just stupid.

You're a fucking idiot. Holy shit.

So you're saying, you'd rather bank on a coin flip and your shitty defense, than let your offense (by far the best part of your team) go for 3 yards and a victory?
This philosophy doesn't apply to all teams, but teams with shitty defenses like Cincinnati.
I like how you provided an argument there, as well. I'm sure everyone will come in and suck your cock, though, like they always do.
"Oh, Dodens, you're so smart, you are omnipresent, and know all in the world, please share your knowledge with me."
Shut the fuck up you self-righteous prick.

I don't have to make an argument because the answer is so fucking intuitive that it doesn't require justification. Meanwhile everybody will see how fucking stupid you are not because I said so but because you are fucking stupid. Also, the Giants have one of the best defenses in the league, you my pals, so what the fuck are you talking about? Have you ever seen the Giants play? You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. The Bengals' defense is also far from 'shitty.' It's far better to take what is essentially a sure thing than to risk it. That's not to say that you should never attempt it, but saying "it's just stupid"...is just stupid. And you're stupid, and also, fuck you, and you're a fucking idiot, and fuck the Cowboys and Tony Romo is not as fucking good as Brett Favre is now and to think that Favre is an "average" quarterback it just completely fucking denying reality. Watch his fucking delivery. He still has the sharpest in the game.

Edit: Fuck you.

The Bengals defense really is shitty, Dodens. It is almost every year.

I think the Bengals defense has been in the top half the league once in the past 15 years. That's pretty shitty.

I don't have to make an argument because the answer is so fucking intuitive that it doesn't require justification. Meanwhile everybody will see how fucking stupid you are not because I said so but because you are fucking stupid. Also, the Giants have one of the best defenses in the league, you my pals, so what the fuck are you talking about? Have you ever seen the Giants play? You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. The Bengals' defense is also far from 'shitty.' It's far better to take what is essentially a sure thing than to risk it. That's not to say that you should never attempt it, but saying "it's just stupid"...is just stupid. And you're stupid, and also, fuck you, and you're a fucking idiot, and fuck the Cowboys and Tony Romo is not as fucking good as Brett Favre is now and to think that Favre is an "average" quarterback it just completely fucking denying reality. Watch his fucking delivery. He still has the sharpest in the game.

Especially when team is 0-2, going for the sure solution is a must.

The Giants have a great defense... so we should hope we can drive another 50 yards on them to get a field goal? Quality logic.

Yeah, Favre still has a great arm... but I'm pretty sure there's more to playing quarterback than that.
His decision-making has deteriorated over the years and some of his escape ability has gone by the way side. The bottom line is that he's just not in the upper echelon of quarterbacks any more. He's not nearly as good as the top tier quarterbacks of today. Don't give me all this crap about how the Jets don't have any weapons, because they have plenty, with Coles, Cotchery, and Thomas Jones, plus they have a very good O-Line. With a great QB, that team would be better than the sub-par unit that they are right now. Instead they have an average QB, and have average 15 points through the first 2 games...
And "denying reality?" Why do I care if Favre is good or not? I don't give a shit if he's good or not, it's my objective opinion that he's an average QB. He's the 10th or 11th best QB in the NFL, period.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you're not the ultimate authority on everything. Stick to things you do know about.

I don't see why teams couldn't just throw a quick slant in that situation. It's one of those situations where I could be extremely pissed of the went for it and lost while forgoing the opportunity in OT. But I'd love it if the made it.

Mathiäs;7635124 said:
Especially when team is 0-2, going for the sure solution is a must.

I think the opposite, tbh. A struggling team with momentum going, would greatly benefit from a 1 play make or break situation. They're clearly not as good as the Giants, and the longer you let the game go on, the more likely that fact is to rear it's ugly head... i.e. Amani Toomer being wide open 25 yards down the field on 3rd and 10.

Instead, they lost a coin toss and all momentum.

edit: I know it didn't end up coming in to play, but I didn't even mention the fact that Barrett Robbins' had come within an inch within blocking their last field goal.

You have a point. There is no 'right' thing to do in that situation, it's just a judgment call. Dodens went a little overboard there.

I thought you were talking about the Giants.

Also, Favre is not fucking average, and you don't really have anything to base that on. You really far too much on statistics, based on your attemtps at justifying Tony Romo as the next big shit, and statistics lie. Yes, Favre has increasingly been susceptible to making bad decisions, but he is still in the upper 'echelon' of quarterbacks. And your opinion is not objective. In fact, that's a complete contradiction. If something was objective, it wouldn't be an opinion.

Mathiäs;7635191 said:
You have a point. There is no 'right' thing to do in that situation, it's just a judgment call. Dodens went a little overboard there.

No shit, I wasn't serious. When have I ever been so over the top and was actually serious?

There is no denying that Romo is excellent in the regular season, but I'll reserve judgment on his total value when I see more high pressure games.

No shit, I wasn't serious. When have I ever been so over the top and was actually serious?

You seemed serious to me, but w/e who gives a shit.

no not really.

risk losing/winning - going for it

having control of your defense and then offense for winning it - field goal

I don't see why you would go for it, and it's not like it was a 100 pt game, giants had 20 points for such a terrible defense.

More teams should go for two in such situations, especially when on the road or facing a superior team. The average NFL play gains something like 5 yards. The odds of converting are going to be better than 50/50. Going to OT and winning there is a less favorable proposition.

It's probably better to play for OT if you've captured momentum, or started to dominate towards the end of the game, like the Bucs did against the Bears today. I didn't see the Bears rebounding after blowing a 10 point lead with 3 minutes to go.

I thought you were talking about the Giants.

Also, Favre is not fucking average, and you don't really have anything to base that on. You really far too much on statistics, based on your attemtps at justifying Tony Romo as the next big shit, and statistics lie. Yes, Favre has increasingly been susceptible to making bad decisions, but he is still in the upper 'echelon' of quarterbacks. And your opinion is not objective. In fact, that's a complete contradiction. If something was objective, it wouldn't be an opinion.

I mean it's objective in the fact that it's from an analytical stand point, rather than that of a fan.
I mean the upper echelon, as in the top 5 in the league, which he clearly isn't anymore.
I do base a lot on statistics, but not everything. I consider Manning to be better than Brady, despite the gaudy stats that Brady threw up last year. Stats are pretty indicative of a player's performance.
I think Romo is the best young QB in the league... with maybe the exception of Jay Cutler. As someone who watches every Cowboy game, there are several plays every game that I just don't see most QBs in the league making. His accuracy is uncanny, and he's unbelievable when outside the pocket and improvising.
The problem with him is that he has the "Favre syndrome." He gets into those times where you just wonder "What the fuck was he looking at there?" Like younger Favre, though... that's what makes him so good, is when he completes that impossible throw that most other QB's wouldn't even attempt.