NFL 2012

Don't talk to me like a jackass. With the way the league is heading these days, you DO basically need three starters. Nickel corners see the field more now than ever. On many teams, they are on the field for over half of their defensive snaps. It is a common saying these days, in fact, that you do need three starting corners. Why do you think the Giants keep drafting them in the first round?

The move makes their team worse in the immediate future. He's been arguably the most consistent cornerback in the league for the better portion of a decade now, and plenty of metric sites regularly use him as a textbook example of the ideal corner. For a team with immediate Super Bowl aspirations, to remove possibly your best defensive player with only a 7th rounder as compensation sets you back in your goal, especially when Richard Seymour can net you a 1st round pick. The Eagles are a now team. Their cap concerns are negligible compared to a lot of teams, both for this year and next year, and then the salary cap rises anyway. They would have had like $10M this year still without trading Samuel. Asomugha is exactly 5 months younger than Samuel, by the way. He also gave up 2 touchdowns last year while allowing 4.4 YPP (3rd in the league), a 67% success rate (3rd) 2 YAC (2nd), etc. Perhaps you should utilize statistics instead of gut feelings like this: "The guy gave up touchdowns non stop. Dude got burned CONSTANTLY. His gambles to make a play on the ball failed more often than not and he couldn't tackle to save his life."

As I said earlier, it is a bullheaded move that showcases a stubborn grip on the new philosophy. Instead of accommodating one of their best players, using him as a nickel where he can play zone more, they decided to stick to the guns that they bought last year that got them to a .500 record. Of course, they know nothing about acquiring talent because they're talented and worrying about how to accommodate after the fact...there certainly aren't half a dozen very recent examples one could cite on their active roster.

I don't need to be explained the nature of team sports. I just find it hard to believe that Asante Samuel was literally running around the field doing whatever the hell he wanted to, or that you would even be able to determine how he was deviating from the set play without knowing what the play actually is, so I do not accept your account. They're still giving up a Pro Bowl player at a premium position for a 7th round pick in favor of inferior football players.

http://igglesblitz.com/philadelphia-eagles-2/asante-deal-autopsy/

Here's a more detailed, informed and in depth account of what I was saying. You might believe that Asante was doing whatever he wanted, but it's not like he's the first big name player in the history of the NFL who has refused to listen to his coaches.

That sounds far more reasonable than many of the other things I've read about the situation, although there are some interesting rebuttals to that post in the comments. I was not aware that earlier contract demands previously essentially blocked a possible trade or two. But when you really think about it...the Steelers got a 5th round pick for Santonio Holmes when it was pretty much public knowledge that they were going to cut him if they couldn't find a trading partner. Granted he was on his rookie contract, but that was about to expire as well.

I still maintain that this was not a necessary move, but rather a move dictated by a steadfast philosophy. The Eagles put themselves in the situation that caused them to turn a Pro Bowl cornerback into a 7th round draft pick with the decisions that they made over the past 2 years, and I don't necessarily believe that they are better off for those decisions.

That sounds far more reasonable than many of the other things I've read about the situation, although there are some interesting rebuttals to that post in the comments. I was not aware that earlier contract demands previously essentially blocked a possible trade or two. But when you really think about it...the Steelers got a 5th round pick for Santonio Holmes when it was pretty much public knowledge that they were going to cut him if they couldn't find a trading partner. Granted he was on his rookie contract, but that was about to expire as well.

I still maintain that this was not a necessary move, but rather a move dictated by a steadfast philosophy. The Eagles put themselves in the situation that caused them to turn a Pro Bowl cornerback into a 7th round draft pick with the decisions that they made over the past 2 years, and I don't necessarily believe that they are better off for those decisions.

That remains to be determined. There's no denying that the wide 9 was a resounding success insofar as pass rush is concerned; the Eagles led the league in sacks and the front line was a terror. The NFL is ultimately about hitting the quarterback, so if they sacrifice some ballwaking skills at corner to maximize their ability to get to the quarterback, I'm fine with that. They still need at least one upgrade at LB to make this scheme work (you need a number of tackle machines at LB, since the DL is shooting straight up the field almost every snap). If they can find that player over the next two days in the draft, this defense could be real good.

Empirical observation trumps those stats. Those stats don't take scheme into account at all. man vs zone coverage, man coverage that transitions into zone etc..

It's not a question of talent but scheme. Same reason teams don't take certain talent in the draft. They don't fit the scheme.

and dont talk to me about the Giants corners. Over the past 5 years they have been mediocre. The D-line saves their asses on a consistent basis. The reason they drafted corners was because they needed starting corners, not nickel help.

A lot of your other "observations" have been pulled out of your ass in the past as well, so excuse me if I use actual statistics like citing 2 TD passes against him while he was the main person in coverage over meaningless hyperbole like "The guy gave up touchdowns non stop. Dude got burned CONSTANTLY."

I only said that they keep drafting corners in the first round because they know you need 3 starters in this era. Not that they have been able to use their talents correctly.

The Giants signed Shaun Rogers. I guess that likely means Rocky Bernard isn't coming back, with Marvin Austin being the 4th DT.

Alright , alright I admit I do pull stuff out of my butt, but you act like the Eagles made succcccchh a bad move. Honestly I don't think it was. Sure, they didnt get value but addition by subtraction does count here. You can sign more players, you get rid of a guy who was a complete ass and there is a sense of morale where no one player (esp with character issues) is above or compromises the team, no matter how good he is.

Anyway, yeah, the Rodgers move is ridiculous IMO. He'll be gone by week 5.

The move made more sense the more I read about it (particularly as it pertained to his contract demands). I said that above. Obviously it's a horrible deal based on value; so was the Santonio Holmes trade. But in terms of the front office's vision and the player's attitude and demands, evidently this was the best they could do. Whether they would have been better off working around Samuels' skill set or dumping him and focusing on Asomugha and R-C in tight press coverage will never be known of course, any many will have an opinion. But regardless of all that, it still sucks for an organization to get such little compensation for such a talent. It would have been better to have lost him in free agency.

Yeah it sucks, but honestly I thought they might have to just cut him anyway just taking into account the contract situation and his attitude.

So it sounds like the Vikings will be taking Claiborne over Kalil if they can't trade down. That's a very, very strange pick. I just don't see top 3 value in a corner back in a cover 2 scheme. I guess it could capitalize on Claiborne's big play ability.

Still hoping either Cox or Kuchely fall to the Eagles, but not banking on it.

I'm thinking less and less that Dont'a Hightower will make it to 24, and I do not think he is a candidate to trade up for. A lot of people project Cordy Glenn to the Steelers, but I don't know what to think about this guy. He seems much more like a tackle than a guard. If he can play guard like a Pro Bowler, great, take him and plug him in at LG on day one. If not, what are you going to do, move Gilbert or Colon to guard?

I am guessing, based on need, that if Cox or Barron make it to pick 14, they won't be around for pick 15, and I don't expect both to drop that far, or even necessarily for one of them to make it that far.

Garrett's recent comments lead me to believe they have no interest in Poe.

Browns just swapped with the Vikings from 4 to 3, presumably to take Richardson. Perfect for the Vikings, who already have Peterson.

I still like Brockers over Cox but either one of those guys on the Eagles would be nice.

Cordy Glenn is a phone booth guard. Guy looks like a beast to me.

Cowboys need Barron more than anyone. You guys would be really lucky to get him.

He looks like he needs to learn how to tackle.

LOL at the Dolphins drafting Tannehill.