NFL 2012

I don't see Stephon Gilmore as a top 10 pick...the Bills probably could have traded down and still gotten him if he is who they were targeting.

Just because the Steelers didn't pick Poe, you know he's going to pan out and be great.

If DeCastro gets by the Titans, the Steelers HAVE to consider trading up to draft him. Adam Schefter reports the Bengals will trade their #21 pick...

Edit: They traded that pick to the Patriots, who Schefter says will take DE Chandler Jones.

Edit: ONE PICK AWAY. If DeCastro is there, do they take him over Hightower? Wow, this draft is falling the right way for the Steelers.

Adam Schefter tweets the Lions are taking Reilly Reiff, and the Steelers are taking DeCastro. WOW. DeCastro is the best value pick of the draft so far.

DECASTRO!

Marcus Gilbert - David DeCastro - Maurkice Pouncey - Ramon Foster - Willie Colon

Patriots traded up again to draft Hightower.

Edit: I'm just so fucking happy. Plus the Devils are up 2-0 in game 7 in the 3rd period.

They are impractical in terms of projecting reality, but it does help educate you on players. It's much more useful to read them than to write them. :p

Anyway, I still can't believe they got DeCastro. On Monday, Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said that he thought that this was overall a weaker draft than recently, with only 7-10 'surefire' NFL players, and today he said that DeCastro was one of those 7-10 that he was talking about. He said that they would have traded up to get him. I believe DeCastro will be their best lineman, the way Alan Faneca was. Absolutely has significant Pro Bowl potential.

Yes, you scored.

I think Stephon Gilmore is going to prove to be the best CB in the draft this year.

The Giants got David Wilson. Not sure how much I like this but the guy can Bolt! something the Giants haven't had in years. Maybe instead of the tip toe burglar Jaconbs and happy feet Bradshaw a nice north/south runner is what this oline needs.

I'm sure he's nice and all, I just find it odd to read people saying that they had him going to the Giants...in the second round. I guess when Doug Martin was picked they panicked a bit. I do not think this was their best option and I'm a little disappointed, but it was far from the worst pick in the first round. They could have gone for a tackle or taken Coby Fleener.

Still waiting to see if Dallas addresses the DLine or Safety in Rd 3(or trades back into the 2nd round to do so). It will be interesting to see how effective Rob Ryan's blitz packages will be without ol T-Hurdle and Glass-Jenkins back there as the last line of defense.

Kinda wish the Bears would have gone O line. but the D line needed work also.
of course it's just one round, will totally watch the rest
two Illinois boys in the 1st round!!!

So...second round predictions? I think there are a number of desirable options available for the Steelers, even at need positions, including:

ILB Mychal Kendricks
OT Bobby Massie
NT Brandon Thompson
NT Alameda Ta'amu
OG Brandon Brooks
OG Kelechi Osemele
OG Amini Silatolu
WR Mohamed Sanu

Really happy with the Eagles second round picks. Kendricks looks like a good fit at strongside LB in the Eagles scheme. Vinny Curry is an absolute steal at the bottom of the 2nd. He could have gone at the bottom of the first. Could have a lot of success in the wide 9.

Don't really see the point in the Foles pick. These mid round QBs almost never work out and I don't see the point in drafting a career backup in the 3rd round. Is he really gonna start over Kafka when Vick gets hurt?

Overall, a pretty great draft though. I think the Eagles found three guys who can make significant contributions to this defense.

Really liked the Steelers getting Adams today. I thought he might go to them in the 1st round, so that's great value.

Sorry for this long post, but I think the story of Mike Adams' road to Pittsburgh is interesting and worth telling.

I was really taken aback when the Steelers drafted Mike Adams. First of all, I am content with their current situation at tackle, and felt it unnecessary that they address the line so early again, especially for somebody that will not be competing for an opening day starting job. Frankly, Brooks or Osemele perhaps would have had a better chance earning a starting guard spot over Foster than Adams has of overtaking Colon or Gilbert. But more importantly, he is a player with character issues, both on and off the field.

Adams was one of the Ohio State players that were suspended for selling memorabilia, and then he failed the drug test at the combine, testing positive for marijuana. Both of these speak poorly for his intelligence, regardless of what one might deduce about his character because of these things (and believe me, there are a lot of things one might deduce if Steelers forums are any indication). This is a scenario in which, normally, this player would not even be on the Steelers' board.

And, it turns out, he wasn't. And Steelers GM Kevin Colbert told Adams straight to his face that he was off their board. They had graded him as a first round talent, but he was not an option because of his red flags. But after lying about his drug test at the combine and the news breaking, he was very upfront about his situation, writing letters to the team explaining his story. He requested at the combine that the Steelers bring him in for a visit, and they obliged his request. The Steelers are the only team that he met with.

See, apparently, Adams grew up as a die hard Steeler fan. When he first dreamed of playing in the NFL, the Steelers are the only team he wanted to play for. He was crushed when he was told that he was off their board. They gave him a criteria that he had to follow to get back on the board, including a psychological evaluation, and apparently he did everything that was asked of him.

There is obviously a unique connection between Adams and the Steelers. In addition, the Steelers' 2011 1st round pick, Cameron Heyward, was Adams' nemesis in practice. Heyward is an extremely high character guy that Adams respects, so I expect Heyward to take him under his wing. In addition, Pouncey is a sure leader on the offensive line, and DeCastro will be as well. DeCastro does not take any bullshit, even from his quarterback. I think that this pick is a risk that the Steelers can manage, and after the initial disbelief, and extensive reading about background information, I'm pretty happy with this pick. Although I still don't understand why Massie is still on the board.

With all that said, I was all ready and prepared for the Steelers to take a new NT with their third round pick. They had basically their choice of options: Brandon Thompson, Alameda Ta'amu, and Josh Chapman. Instead, they took a LB, Sean Spence. And undersized linebacker. He's actually just about the same size as Kendricks.

I was really in disbelief about this pick at the time, but it makes sense the more I think about it. He played outside in a 4-3, but he will move inside in the Steelers' 3-4. He is not the missing link though. He doesn't have the build for a Buck, so he will not be replacing Farrior. Instead, he will back up Timmons at the Mack and provide a boost on special teams. Of course backing up Timmons doesn't bode well for his future chances of starting, but he is valuable depth in the meantime as the 4th ILB. However, on tape, this guy has special abilities. He plays fast, has above average instincts, is a defensive leader and a long time starter, and he hits big for his size. He is a playmaker...which makes me hope that he eventually moves to safety.

In the meantime, Ta'amu and Chapman are still there. I hope that they don't hesitate to trade up if necessary if they are at risk of losing on of these guys. At worst, they give up nothing more than a 6th or 7th round pick. A small price tag in my opinion. I would consider their draft complete and a great success within 4 rounds if they can hit on one of these two NTs. It is also worth noting that they added some players that are leaders, which is important after this offseason purging.

The Bengals, Ravens, and Packers are quietly having nice drafts, as well. The Bengals in particular took a number of players I'm fond of, including Kevin Zeitler, Brandon Thompson, and Mohamed Sanu. I'm also liking the Giants' draft the more I study it as well. This CB they just drafted, I think, is better than some of the guys that went ahead of him. He's too small to start, I think, but he will be an excellent nickel back.

Apparently the guy the Saints drafted beasted it up in Canada, so pretty excited to see how he pans out.

And the Steelers move up 10 picks in round 4 to secure possibly their future nose tackle, Alameda Ta'amu. This draft is complete. All they sacrificed was a 6th round pick. They still have their 5th and 7th round picks, and 3 7th round compensatory picks. Only thing they didn't get that I would have really valued was a quality safety, but there hasn't been one on the board for them. Safety, and possibly ILB, will be their main targets next year, but prospectively, they've already secured their offensive and defensive lines of the future. Here is what the front lines could look like 2 or 3 years from now:

LT: Mike Adams
LG: David DeCastro
C: Maurkice Pouncey
RG: Willie Colon
RT: Marcus Gilbert

And on the defensive line:

LDE: Ziggy Hood
NT: Alameda Ta'amu
RDE: Cameron Heyward

The Giants pulled another head-scratcher with the TE Robinson pick. The Steelers and Eagles are having a pretty good draft. Dallas is shoring up it's weak spots on defense. Someone to push Spencer at OLB and more DE depth. I would have preferred some big bodied NT so maybe Ratliff could get shifted to DE, but I must assume the front office knows more than I do atm. These certainly seem to be picks heavily influenced by Garrett and Ryan, so it's nice to see Jerry sort of step back on the draft picks. Garrett prefers "high motor, 'football' guys", instead of pure flash, and Ryan obviously is pushing for pieces to make his schemes work.

Edit: And the depth/competition picks on defense continue for Dallas. A no name Safety Matt Johnson from Eastern Washington.