NFL 2012

Wow, the Eagles got Brandon Boykin in the 4th! That's another great pick. We needed a true slot corner and that's what Boykin is. A little worried about his leg injury at the Senior Bowl, but if he's ready come training camp, then that's a great pick.

I really don't understand the Redskins taking Kirk Cousins in the 4th. You already have a sparse number of picks over the next few years after giving up the farm for RGIII and now you use another pick on a backup QB? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, especially considering that Grossman, while not starting material, is an adequate backup.

Oh, and LOL at the Jags for taking a punter at the top of the 3rd. Only a team with Blaine Gabbert at quarterback would feel compelled to make a move like that.

Cowboys drafted the probable replacement for Robinson as the 3rd/slot WR.

I find it amusing when (I think it was Jerry) talked about the ability to have a "pure draft", and then proceeded to plug holes in depth.

really dumb that the Redskins took Cousins. Wasted pick.
pretty neat that Illinois had 4 guys go before an Ohio St or Michigan guy.

Lamichael James in a 49er uniform is going to be awesome. Harbaugh has so many weapons to mess with.
Cant wait to see if my boy Jenkins turns into a badass. watched him every week for Illinois and he is damn good.

Looking at next year, the Bears need to get younger on D. First two picks should be Defense.

Dodens and the rest of Steeler nation should be happy as shit. O and D line is extremely important and they are solid now.

There were a few safeties on the board in the 5th for the Steelers to take, but I don' think any of them would have necessarily been an upgrade over the backups they already have. They took another RB to add to the stable (Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, Baron Batch, John Clay) to replace Mendenhall until he gets back, although this could also be his last year since his contract is up. Haven't read anything about this guy yet, so I'm not sure what his skill set is and what he has to offer.

After reading more write-ups on the players Dallas selected in the later rounds I'm pretty happy with the draft.

1 6(6) M. Claiborne - LSU
3 18(81) T. Crawford DE Boise State
4 18(113) K. Wilber - Wake Forest
4 40(135) M. Johnson - Eastern Washington
5 17(152) D. Coale WR Virginia Tech
6 16(186) J. Hanna TE Oklahoma
7 15(222) C. McSurdy - Montana

Claiborne was considered the top defensive player in the draft, nothing to discuss there really. With Claiborne, Carr, Jenkins, and Scandrick, Dallas might have the best CB lineup in the NFL, an offseason removed from one of the worst.

Crawford is a little undersized to be a 3-4 DE, but the coaches like his athleticism and and upside, and expect him to add 20lbs to a thin build on a big frame. Addresses a position of need.

The 2 linebacker picks also have a similar breakdown.

I'm liking the Safety and WR picks. The safety was apparently disounted due to his small school origin, and Coale sounds like a Wes Welker kind of guy.

TE was a position in need of depth with Bennett gone, and Hanna is supposed to have good hands. With Dallas reverting back to primarly a 3 wide and I formation team instead of the 2 tight-end sets, having a 2nd blocking tight end is less important. Bennett never did display good hands in the NFL, and Hanna and Phillips should do nicely in reserve roles as receiving tight ends.

In all, Dallas addressed every position with a need, although I might would have liked to see them pick an Olineman over the ILB, but they have invested plenty of picks in the Oline in the last couple of drafts, and spent in FA on it, so I am not surprised it received no attention in this draft.

Thank you jeezus! Coach B and the Pats decided to move up (though slightly) and draft impact so-called play-makers ON DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE, YES! Enough of the trading out / down and building up late round possible value picks etc. Pats will get thier D- up to snuff and they'll once again continue to be in the big dance. Only to lose to the G-men of course...farg!

Watched the Post Draft press conference for the Cowboys. Jones was asked at some point if he ever felt, coming out of a draft, that they hadn't had a good draft.

I was surprised that he answered that question in depth, and basically said that dealing with a plurality of excellent picks, and batting 1000 on top of it, due to the Walker trade/poor records from 89-91 spoiled him right out of the gate, and led him to be too reckless with draft picks at times (like Cowboys nation didn't already know this).

I think they have really turned that around though in the last 2-3 years. Hopefully the Roy Williams trade was the last "wtfJerry" move.

Best Drafts imo are

1.Cincinnati Bengals
2.Philadelphia Eagles
3.Pittsburgh Steelers
4.New England Patriots
5.San Diego Chargers
6.St. Louis Rams
7.Green Bay Packers

Worst

1.Seattle Seahawks
2.Kansas City Chiefs
3.New York Jets
4.San Francisco 49ers
5.Chicago Bears
6.Denver Broncos

I'm surprised you have the Bengals so high. I didn't think passing on DeCastro for Kirkpatrick was very smart. I think Zeitler wasn't the greatest value at the bottom of the 1st. Their 2nd and 3rd round picks were really good though.

The Steelers and Eagles did a great job of combining need and value and both might have seriously upgraded team weaknesses. They had the best two drafts.

I also really liked the Colts' draft strategy. They have holes everywhere, so in year one of rebuilding focus on surrounding Luck with as many weapons as possible.

Other than getting a franchise quarterback, I think the Redskins had a bad draft. LeRibus seemed like a reach and Cousins was a waste of a pick.

Not much of a difference between Decastro and Zeitler besides pass protection. Zeitler, as a typical phone booth guard, can easily adapt and polish his pass protecting. Neither of these guys are elite athletes which is why I think the Bengals did the right thing in getting Kirkpatrick. Don't get me wrong I love Decastro but the Bengals did a great job, Kirkpatrick is a fantastic cornerback prospect and Zeitler is a plug and play guard.

It's also amazing they picked up Still right after Zeitler. A tough, over the middle possession receiver in Sanu. a terrific run stuffer Brandon Thompson. A tremendous receiving TE and matchup nightmare Orson Charles. and let's not forget George Iloka, a 6'4 deep Safety who was very productive.

I'm not saying all these guys are going to be great but I do think they will all play a significant role on the team.

Bengals are going to be nasty.

Not much of a difference between Decastro and Zeitler besides pass protection. Zeitler, as a typical phone booth guard, can easily adapt and polish his pass protecting. Neither of these guys are elite athletes which is why I think the Bengals did the right thing in getting Kirkpatrick. Don't get me wrong I love Decastro but the Bengals did a great job, Kirkpatrick is a fantastic cornerback prospect and Zeitler is a plug and play guard.

That's the most important part of his job. I agree that Zeitler can become a legit NFL guard and can improve his pass protection, but with DeCastro you don't have to worry about it. He's good to go right now. They could have had Kirkpatrick and DeCastro if they didn't trade down, now that I think about it.

I agree with your top 3, but not your order. I know I'm biased, but I would put the Steelers' draft as the best if not simply due to how much value nearly every pick actually possessed.

DeCastro is notably better than Zeitler, by the way. Zeitler is just a 1st round guard. DeCastro is a rare talent. He's a master technician that demands the best of his teammates; not just his line, the entire offense. He could have been the highest drafted guard ever. It's incredibly fortunate that he was available, as a top 10 talent, at 24. For some, DeCastro and Zeitler will always be compared during their careers because of the Bengals' decision not to take him at 21.

Mike Adams has the ability and potential to be a 1st round talent left tackle. He would be a second consecutive steal if he pays off. Nobody singularly transformed an individual unit in this draft like the Steelers did with their offensive line, which was by far their weakness.

Sean Spence probably was not that great of a value in the 3rd round, but it was a pick that they were willing to take because he was a talent that they couldn't pass up and they still believed they could get their nose tackle in the next round. I think this pick may signal the beginning of a change in the way the Steelers envision their inside linebackers as a reflection of the advancement of the passing game. He could be the starter to replace Larry Foote in 2 or 3 years.

They traded up in round 4 to get Alameda Ta'amu, which many had as a mid-2nd round talent. I don't think anything else really needs to be said. He will be learning from one of the best defensive line coaches in the game as the protege of an excellent nose tackle that he grew up watching anyway. He's obviously the heir apparent, as early as 2013. The Steelers could have 4 starters from this draft two seasons from now with only 4 picks in the first 4 rounds.

Chris Rainey is an interesting talent that will be the wildcard in the offense and special teams. He's quite small, but plays bigger than his size. He can carry as a traditional back, but he's also an excellent receiver. He can return kicks and punts. He also blocked 6 kicks in college in 3 years. He could be a Dexter McCluster or Darren Sproles type player. He was also considered a steal in the 5th round.

I really like WR Toney Clemons as the 7th round pick. I liked Marvin McNutt (whom the Eagles got), but in hindsight, I actually like Clemons just as much. He has much more talent than he got a chance to show in college. He transferred from Michigan after two seasons and two different regimes where he never had a role there. Then he had to take a redshirt year due to his transfer. His last two seasons also had two different regimes, and he didn't really start putting it together until the 2nd half of his senior season. The Steelers consider themselves extremely lucky that they got him here. He's a tall receiver with 4.4 speed. He will be no better than a 5th receiver to start, so there's no pressure on him and he can just learn. But he could be the tall receiver Roethlisberger's been asking for since Burress left.

Even the Steelers' compensatory picks I like: TE David Paulson, CB Terrence Frederick, and G Kelvin Beachum. Paulson and Frederick have a real chance to make the roster as the 3rd/4th TE and 5th CB, respectively, though Beachum would have to beat out either Foster or Legursky for a roster spot. He'll likely be battling for a practice squad seat at best for now.

That said, I do really like the Bengals' draft, which was of course aided by the retarded Raiders. Yet they still got pretty good value. To be quite frank, I thought they actually did too much for their defensive line. This was arguably the last thing that they needed to address, and they could have gotten better players at other positions.

The Eagles did get Fletcher Cox, although they did have to trade up for him. Mychal Kendricks I thought higher of during the draft than after. He was a 2nd round talent, but a later one, I think. He's actually just about the same size as Sean Spence with just about the same skill set. I just didn't know about Spence beforehand and I'm glad the Steelers got him. It addresses a huge area of need though, which could be transformative for the Eagles' defense. Adding a weapon like Vinny Curry to establish a legitimate rotation on the defensive line also should not be undervalued. Nick Foles...I really have no idea about his potential to be an eventual starter, let alone an elite one that can win a super bowl, and he will have to battle for the backup spot. Boykin is good value late in the 4th round despite his height. I already said that I liked McNutt. The rest of their draft I don't think much of. Brandon Washington's stock fell for a reason, many are saying now, though I suppose the risk of a late 6th round pick is minimal.

The Patriots' draft is extremely top-heavy, and I also don't think their 2 1st round picks are without question marks. I like the safety that they drafted...not that much, though, but those are 3 big areas of need. The rest of the draft is pretty unremarkable. The only thing of note is the late flyer on Dennard.

I've been reading that it was via shotgun blast to his chest...yet they found a handgun next to his body.