NFL 2012

No. He was one of the best. Not the best.

I would argue that he was the best in 2011. He was dominate in the run game often taking out two players on one play. He was top notch in pass pro too. I'm sure you could make a case for a few other guys too, but Peters 2011 season was the best I've ever seen from an Eagles O-lineman. And that's saying something, considering that Tra Thomas and Jon Runyan also had some pretty amazing seasons in Philly.

It really doesn't make much of a difference, does it? Nobody watched every game of every player. For what it's worth, I thought he had a better year than Joe Thomas for the first time from the Browns and Eagles games I saw last season, who I believe is the best left tackle in the league. Bottom line is you don't just replace an elite LT, especially when the rest of the OL outside of Mathis isn't particularly amazing.

It really doesn't make much of a difference, does it? Nobody watched every game of every player. For what it's worth, I thought he had a better year than Joe Thomas for the first time from the Browns and Eagles games I saw last season, who I believe is the best left tackle in the league. Bottom line is you don't just replace an elite LT, especially when the rest of the OL outside of Mathis isn't particularly amazing.

Todd Herremans is very good. I would describe him as a second echelon guard. He adjusted to RT pretty quickly and seems to be what Mudd wants there. The center Jason Kelce had an excellent rookie season. Barring injury, I expect him to continue to progress and be the Eagles center for a long time. Danny Watkins was up and down. Considering that he was a 1st round pick and is now 27, 2012 is sort of make or break for him. And then Bell, I really don't know much about.

On the whole I would actually say I feel pretty good about the offensive line, other than Bell, who is a mystery man to me. The good thing is Howard Mudd seems to be able to turn copper into gold. I do have confidence in his ability to bring the best out of players and get the line to work as a unit. But there's no getting around the fact that this Peters situation sucks.

Wow. I just read that the Steelers have officially moved Willie Colon to LG from RT. I'm somewhat shocked by this. Not that he could play guard, but that the team would actually do this, at least this season. I wonder what this means. I suppose it could be up in the air as far as who plays the tackle positions. Do they bring back Max Starks to play LT and keep Marcus Gilbert at RT and hope Mike Adams is ready to take over the LT spot next season? Will he be ready THIS season? Or could they play Adams at RT? Either way, the Steelers' offensive line is suddenly stacked with talent. Colon said that both he and DeCastro will be pulling a lot, which really makes the running game more balanced. The Steelers have been HEAVILY right-handed in the running game for years now, but now with an elite pulling RG, and Gilbert a capable blocker in the running game (assuming he plays LT this year), they can finally run left again.

In a league with guys like Jake Long, Jordan Gross, Michael Roos, Andrew Whitworth etc. it's hard to say that Peters or Thomas are the best Linemen

I could easily argue Gross over Peters and/or Thomas but the reality is they're all really damn good

So it just occurred to me that a few teams took major steps to improve certain units on their teams, and I was wondering what everyone thought about what certain teams did and which unit should be the most improved this year (compared to last season). Obviously it's mostly projection, but it's fun to think about. The top three off the top of my head are the Eagles' LBs (DeMeco Ryans, drafting Mychal Kendricks), the Steelers' OL (drafting David DeCastro and Mike Adams, moving a healthy Willie Colon to guard), and the Cowboys' secondary (adding Brandon Carr and drafting Morris Claiborne). Anybody want to add their thoughts to these units or propose others? I would nominate the Bills' DL with the addition of Mario Williams and Mark Anderson, but frankly they were already good, especially with Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus in the middle.

Alternatively, suggestions about declining units? For example, the Ravens lost Jarrett Johnson to free agency and Terrell Suggs could miss anywhere from 6 weeks to the entire season, whereas they drafted Courtney Upshaw and have largely unproven talent in Paul Kruger and Sergio Kindle. Not to mention, Ray Lewis is continually aging. They also had a great season overall last year, so I expect a bit of a regression from them this season. I can't think of any other major downgrades, though I guess you could mention the Eagles' OL and the Browns' DL with the injuries to Jason Peters and Phil Taylor.

and the Cowboys' secondary (adding Brandon Carr and drafting Morris Claiborne).

I barely have the time to follow the Cowboys moves, much less others, but I have a few opinions on the offseason moves.

Leading off: The secondary was the worst unit on the field for the Cowboys in 2011, and they obviously zeroed in on it from the beginning with Carr being the premium DB available in FA and then moving aggressively to take the highest rated CB on a Cowboys draft board since Deion Sanders. They also addressed safety by bringing in B Poole from the Jets and drafting a small school interception machine in Matt Johnson.

A lot of Cowoboys fans were saying Jerry had lost his wheeling and dealing touch after no notable secondary upgrades last year, and whiffing on Asomugha. I think this year proves that notion wrong, and I think in big picture terms, not signing the soon-to-be 31 year old Asomugha was a blessing in disguise, as the fallout was to acquire the 26 year old Brandon Carr. Carr's best days should still be ahead of him, while Asomugha should be losing a step soon, if not this year.

Moving on to Matt Johnson: Depending on who you listen to, this was either one of the steals of the draft or a wasted pick. Watching what little highlights are available of the guy, he looks like a player with tremendous upside. I'll trust that the scouting team did it's work.

The Cowboys also threw bodies at the front seven, and released the slow and ancient ILB duo of Brookings and James. Lee will be leading the defense, and will be joined inside by either the newly acquired Conner and/or last years injury red shirt draft acquisition Bruce Carter. The Cowboys spent 2 draft picks on outside linebacker projects and signed Conner in FA. Hopefully this either pushes Carter and Spencer to excel and achieve their potential or out the door.

There is also a youth movement on the defensive line. Lissemore is expected to replace the aging and barely servicable Kenyon Coleman, and pick Tyrone Crawford is going to get some playing time. There have been rumors of Lissemore moving to NT and switching Ratliff to end.

Rob Ryan has taken the blame for the defensive snafus in miscommunication last year (although the lockout certainly didnt help with the new scheme), and has vowed it will be cleared up this time.

Overall, the entire Dallas defense, as usual for Dallas teams in the last five years, has a lot of upside, but is a big question mark. Will it all gel (and of course, will the injury bug stay away)? If it does, I expect a top five defense.

The leader of this defense on the field is now Sean "The General" Lee. He is a tackling machine and has amazing hands and awareness.His ability to stay healthy and command the field/set the tone is going to be key.

On the other side of the ball, the biggest question mark going into 2011 was the offensive line, and that has not changed. Dallas has thrown a lot of draft picks at it in the last few years, and brought in two FAs this year. Free and Smith have been swapped at the ends.

Now one of the FA guards brought in is out for much of the offseason due to hip surgery. Smith was the best lineman of the bunch last year on the right side, while Free regressed having been moved to left tackle. Free should be back to 2010 form on the right side, and Smith is expected to improve even with the change to left tackle. With all the premier rushers on both sides in the NFC East, Romo's health will depend heavily on improved play from both. The competition between young guys and FAs in the middle of the line is the bigger unknown. Overall, lots of movement, but only time will tell on improvement.

So it just occurred to me that a few teams took major steps to improve certain units on their teams, and I was wondering what everyone thought about what certain teams did and which unit should be the most improved this year (compared to last season). Obviously it's mostly projection, but it's fun to think about. The top three off the top of my head are the Eagles' LBs (DeMeco Ryans, drafting Mychal Kendricks), the Steelers' OL (drafting David DeCastro and Mike Adams, moving a healthy Willie Colon to guard), and the Cowboys' secondary (adding Brandon Carr and drafting Morris Claiborne). Anybody want to add their thoughts to these units or propose others? I would nominate the Bills' DL with the addition of Mario Williams and Mark Anderson, but frankly they were already good, especially with Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus in the middle.

Alternatively, suggestions about declining units? For example, the Ravens lost Jarrett Johnson to free agency and Terrell Suggs could miss anywhere from 6 weeks to the entire season, whereas they drafted Courtney Upshaw and have largely unproven talent in Paul Kruger and Sergio Kindle. Not to mention, Ray Lewis is continually aging. They also had a great season overall last year, so I expect a bit of a regression from them this season. I can't think of any other major downgrades, though I guess you could mention the Eagles' OL and the Browns' DL with the injuries to Jason Peters and Phil Taylor.

I think you mentioned the most notable upgrades that have occurred this offseason. I would add the Jaguars' receiving corps. I know there are questions about Laurent Robinson and whether or not he's a one year wonder. While I agree, I think if you look at their prior receiving corps, he is an obvious upgrade. Then, to add Justin Blackmon is obviously the big move that gives the Jags the best receiving prospect they've had in a decade.

While no specific unit was downgraded, the Saints offense lost two major pieces Carl Nicks and Robert Meechem. I think that will have a factor in their production. Considering that the defense will probably struggle, a small dip on offense could be the difference between making and not making the playoffs. The NFC is getting pretty loaded and my money is on the East and North providing the wildcard teams, so I think the Saints will need to win the division to make the playoffs.

In other news the Eagles extended Lesean McCoy. I'm glad they've taken care of all their contract issues early in the offseason and I'm also happy they're taking care of their young players who have proven their worth. Nothing worse than seeing an elite player leave in free agency while still in his youth. They have enough cap space to extend Jeremy Maclin and DRC if one or both start out the season strong. I doubt they would do it prior to seeing some production of the field though.

Dak, I strongly agree about the swap of Tyron Smith and Doug Free. That is going to be a huge upgrade alone I think. Smith has Pro Bowl level talent and Free is much more suited to the right side I think.

crimson, good call on the Jags. Robinson is indeed a talent--sure, maybe Romo made him look a little better than he is, but he's got skills. And obviously getting the highest rated WR in the draft is always a plus. He may not be AJ Green, but he's a significant upgrade over what they had. The only caveat is that Blaine Gabbert will be throwing to him. He didn't show me anything last year. But you never know, maybe with more talent to throw to and learning how to use his safety valves in Marcedes Lewis and Maurice Jones-Drew will help him take a major leap from year one to year two.

I know a lot of the Patriots' secondary woes can be attributed to their own prolific offense, but I think that they will be improved this year as well, potentially significantly. Devin McCourty did more than come back down to earth I think after overperforming in his rookie season; I think his talent level rests somewhere in between year one and year two, and that will probably be seen this year. They will also have the services of Ras-I Dowling this year after being injured practically all of last season. I believe he was the 33rd overall pick last year, and I had him highly rated. Kyle Arrington and Sterling Moore also flashed potential late in the season, and they also took a late round flyer on a talented player in Alfonzo Dennard, in addition to spending an early round pick S Tavon Wilson. Either way they were historically bad last year, so chances are they are due for a somewhat significant improvement.

The Pats secondary play can only improve...there is no way they can be as bad as last year. Return of a healthy Dowling may allow Mccourty to move to the safety position on a regular basis. Seemingly improving on and addressing the pass rusher needs in the draft should benefit the secondary as well.

The teams were warned. That's the bottom line, really. They were manipulating the salary cap and now they're being penalized through the salary cap.

They didn't manipulate the salary cap. It didn't exist. Wink wink is not a salary cap.

5 mil for two seasons is peanuts for the Cowboys, but this is just another item in what appears to me the beginning of the end of the NFL. The NFL probably reached it's zenith in 08-09. The lockout and new CBA and everything that went along with that will have, I think, a similar effect on the NFL that the '94 baseball strike had, but for different reasons (as obviously games were not missed).

Two things are obvious:

1. The Cowboys and Redskins are assholes.

2. At many as 28 NFL teams participated in collusion.

I'm sure if the Cowboys or Redskins will ever get their money back(by blind guess is that they won't) but they didn't do anything illegal or even break any NFL rules. The only NFL "rule" they may have broken was an illegal, verbal one.