NFL 2012

:rolleyes:

When is Morris Claiborne getting back?

Also @Jimmy/crimson:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7969173/nfl-players-union-chief-demaurice-smith-says-collusion-claim-stand-court

NFLPA files collusion lawsuit.

Fucking BAM.

and LOL@ the league saying "there was no collusion".

The NFLPA did a shit job negotiating the new CBA as it is, which in itself could render this current suit DOA. Regardless, it is impossible for me to muster much concern over this issue either way, especially since I don't care about the Cowboys or Redskins suffering.

We'll see what happens. At this point everyone is gonna say what they need to say to get what they want (more money). Its hard to know whether that "no prosecution regarding the prior CBA" clause will hold or not.

Sucks for the Giants to lose Nicks, but there's a good chance he'll be back to health by the start of the season. Just depends how bad the break is and how the recovery goes.

The Cowboys and Redskins simply shifted the money in a certain way to avoid a cap hit in the future. They didnt spend more overall than any other team. The fact that people keep framing this as collusion is a joke. There's no evidence of salaries being driven down that year (because they werent). There was no league mandate not to spend. The league mandate was to not fudge the numbers to have big cap hits early and low cap hits later. The way the Cowboys and Redskins structured their contracts was illegal. Not how much they paid.

John Mara's take is dead on here.

The Cowboys and Redskins simply shifted the money in a certain way to avoid a cap hit in the future. They didnt spend more overall than any other team. The fact that people keep framing this as collusion is a joke. There's no evidence of salaries being driven down that year (because they werent). There was no league mandate not to spend. The league mandate was to not fudge the numbers to have big cap hits early and low cap hits later. The way the Cowboys and Redskins structured their contracts was illegal. Not how much they paid.

John Mara's take is dead on here.

Shifting spending into the uncapped year was to free up money to spend later. So yes, they did spend more/will spend more (and already consistently spend more than much of the league, yet within the cap).

If there was no league mandate not to spend, then what is the punishment based on? How was the contract structuring illegal if there was no rule in place against it?

Your logic is not working here at all.

Collusion is a term that means there is anti-competitive activity connected to the agreement, right? Not simply an agreement by itself. The Cowboys and Redskins arent paragons. They didnt pay any more money for free agents than anyone else. Dan is absolutely saying and implying that in his articles. All the Redskins and Cowboys did was STRUCTURE the contracts differently to gain a competitive advantage against future cap hits. Hence the punishment. This isnt about preventing a rise in salaries.

Also, the Commissioner doesnt need something to be illegal or against league rules to punish something. A Commissioner has broad powers. Enforcing punishments that negatively affect competitive balance (no matter the form), is one of them. That's why the league wins this case in front of the arbitrator. The Commish was in his discretion to do this, that's the only relevant legal question. The amount of punishment is entirely in Goodell's discretion.

Collusion is a term that means there is anti-competitive activity connected to the agreement, right? Not simply an agreement by itself. The Cowboys and Redskins arent paragons.

Definition of COLLUSION

: secret agreement or cooperation especially for an illegal or deceitful purpose

They didnt pay any more money for free agents than anyone else. Dan is absolutely saying and implying that in his articles. All the Redskins and Cowboys did was STRUCTURE the contracts differently to gain a competitive advantage against future cap hits. Hence the punishment. This isnt about preventing a rise in salaries.

They did pay more, and will/would pay more, and you acknowledged as much in referencing the competitive advantage gained later. That was the point of of the penalties. To keep them from having more money to spend later as they had notionally gone over the cap that didn't exist in 2011. I can't believe this simple logic is eluding you.

Also, the Commissioner doesnt need something to be illegal or against league rules to punish something. A Commissioner has broad powers. Enforcing punishments that negatively affect competitive balance (no matter the form), is one of them. That's why the league wins this case in front of the arbitrator. The Commish was in his discretion to do this, that's the only relevant legal question. The amount of punishment is entirely in Goodell's discretion.

Goodell is not god, and cannot contradict rules.

Yeah, I'm doing a really bad job at playing devils advocate. I digress.:loco:

Oh and Muz, nobody will ever forget spygate. we all hate the Patriots org, Belichick, Tom Brady and YOU. haha

Yeah, I'm doing a really bad job at playing devils advocate. I digress.:loco:

Oh and Muz, nobody will ever forget spygate. we all hate the Patriots org, Belichick, Tom Brady and YOU. haha

Tell me something I don't already know! Glad I brought it up...lol. I've been around forever...seen all the bad times and then some good w the Pats. Get more and more into metal as I get older...go figure. Excited to find this forum (sports and metal woohoo) only to be hated for the ages...timing is everything lol!

Packers drafted well. Excited for this year!

I think more players should've been punished on New Orlean's active roster. Punishing other teams is stupid imo.

Cool article posted about Isaac Redman today on Pro Football Focus:

The Steelers have been set at the running back position for over a decade with Jerome Bettis, Willie Parker, and most recently, Rashard Mendenhall. In 2011 Mendenhall enjoyed an excellent season, causing 30 players to miss tackles on him on his 228 attempts with just one fumble. The problem for Pittsburgh, though, is part way into the last game of the regular season Mendenhall tore his ACL; an injury that will likely keep him out for at least part of the 2012 season.

This offseason Pittsburgh didn’t make upgrading the running back position a priority. They didn’t add a back in free agency and it wasn’t until the fifth round of the draft that they added a rookie. While salary cap problems factored into this, the Steelers didn’t need to worry about the position because they have faith in their backup running back from last year, Isaac Redman.

While he’s only had 186 carries in his short NFL carrier, Redman has done enough to show he could be the answer to the Steelers’ rushing problems not just in the short term while Mendenhall is out, but also the future. If his sixth-highest Elusive Rating of 59.8 in 2011 tells us anything, it’s that it will be exciting to see what this Secret Superstar can do with more carries.

Redman’s Rise

Redman went to Division-II Bowie State University where he re-wrote his team’s record book. He went undrafted, and got a free agent contract with the Steelers in 2009. He couldn’t beat out the triple-threat attack from Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore, and Willie Parker, so most of his rookie season was spent on the practice squad.

Parker had a down year in 2009 which ended up being his last in Pittsburgh. The following season, both Redman and rookie Jonathan Dwyer found spots on the 53-man roster, with Redman edging Dwyer on the depth chart. Redman logged between six and 19 offensive snaps per game that year and, while no individual game stood out because he never had more than six carries, his cumulative totals were impressive. He averaged 5.0 yards per carry, and forced 11 missed tackles on his 59 carries.

Backup Role in 2011

In 2011 Redman saw a significant increase in his role with the team. His share of the rushing load (24.5%) prior to Mendenhall’s injury was more than double of the 10.7% he saw in 2010. While Moore had been in for many more snaps in the passing game in 2010 (220 for Moore to 105 for Redman) those numbers flipped in 2011 with Redman seeing his tally jump to 232 and Moore seeing his drop to 102.

As his snap count grew, he maintained the production level he had established in 2010. On the season, Redman averaged 4.7 yards per carry and had 25 players miss tackles on him on 127 carries. That was 0.19 missed tackles caused per carry; fourth-best among backs with at least 125 attempts. While he was playing well throughout the season, it was from Week 13 on that he stepped things up. For the first 12 weeks of the season he had a PFF rating of +6.9, and from Week 13 on it was +8.3 for a season total of +15.2.

It began with back-to-back home games against Cincinnati and Cleveland where he totaled 86 yards on 14 attempts (a 6.1 average), the Cincinati game being his first with 50+ yards. Redman didn’t get much of an opportunity against San Francisco (Pittsburgh had 50 passing plays), but was back on track in their home game against St. Louis where he had 35 yards on eight attempts and his second touchdown of the season.

Making the Most of an Opportunity

In Week 17 against Cleveland–the game in which Mendenhall was injured early on–Redman became the lead back. He had 19 rushing attempts and forced seven missed tackles on his way to a 92-yard day.

The following week in the playoffs against Denver was his real breakout opportunity. On 17 rushing attempts, Redman accumulated 121 yards–83 of them coming after contact. He churned through another five missed tackles, and averaged 7.1 yards per carry. Although it was in a losing effort, it was clearly his best game as a Pro. A small sample size, but it’s promising to know that Redman has performed best when he’s been given the most opportunities and when the stakes were highest.

The Opportunity to Come

After two years of fighting Mendenhall and Moore for playing time, Redman won’t have to worry about either player for the start of 2012. Moore didn’t re-sign with the team, and Mendenhall’s injury will likely keep him out for some time. Now the players behind him on the depth chart are 2010 sixth-round pick Jonathan Dwyer and 2011 undrafted back John Clay. The two of them had a combined 54 snaps in 2011. Redman has played at a very high level on a per-play basis, and now the number of plays he is in for should see a significant increase.

The Steelers’ offensive line is going through a lot of changes, with rookies Mike Adams and David DeCastro projected to take over starting roles at left tackle and right guard, respectively, while Willie Colon has moved to left guard. On the bright side, that means Ramon Foster, Chris Kemoeatu, Doug Legursky, and Jonathan Scott with their combined -21.7 run block rating won’t be on the field. When healthy, Willie Colon has consistently produced positive run block ratings and, if the two rookies perform better in run blocking than the players who came before them, we could see Redman’s per-attempt numbers continue to improve.

It’s usually a success story when an undrafted player from a Division II school can make an NFL roster. Redman not only did that, but has hung around and made a mark on the team. The future for this Secret Superstar will be even brighter if he takes hold of the chance he’s soon to be presented with.

First of all, neither of them are "terrible". Secondly, you obviously didn't read the article. :p

You should write about how stupid our franchise is. We extend Fitzpatrick last year and now we sign Young and have an 'open' competition for the starting gig. I swear our ownership has no idea what's going on.

And you could probably focus on the D, since Wannstedt took over from our dud Defensive Coordinator last season. He hasn't done anything since that drama in Washington or Pitt, I forget where he left.

And how Fred Jackson didn't get resigned and he was probably going to be the best back in the league last year(impact on a team persay) before he got injured.

Just so hard to have hope in my team

@rms - Benson & Grant are good/decent backs. Saying they're "terrible" is an outrage.

Dodens, I understand as a biased fan why you're so high on Redman but to say you feel or prefer Redman over the two veterans mentioned above is a bit overweening.

I'm not the only one that feels that way. I posted an article from Pro Football Focus on the last page talking about how Redman is primed for success. Cedric Benson is just an average, 1,000 yard, 4.0 YPC guy, yet he's had fumbling issues. Ryan Grant is past his prime and wouldn't even match his successes from last year in Pittsburgh's system. Redman knows the Steelers' system and has shown enormous potential that should only improve with a better offensive line. Most of his carries have been in short yardage, yet his YPC is over 4.5. Check out the article I posted on the last page if you want an unbiased perspective on Redman. He was 4th best in the league in PFF's calculation in breaking tackles and 6th best in the league in their Elusiveness Rating.

Cowboy's redshirted ILB Carter looking good in OTAs

So far, Bruce Carter has been everything the Cowboys thought he would be. Last year, that meant he missed nearly half the season and played almost entirely on special teams.

If Carter continues as expected, though, it will mean the defense will be adding another first-round talent in 2012. Now more than 18 months removed from his senior year at North Carolina and the torn ACL that dropped him to Round 2 of the 2011 lottery, Carter has been running with the first-team defense in Organized Team Activities next to Sean Lee and thrilling the Cowboys' coaches and front office.

Blessed with great speed and strength, Carter has excelled in coverage and consistently shown the ability to play sideline-to-sideline against the run, defeat blockers and get into the backfield as a blitzer.

"He's the guy we thought he was when we drafted him," defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said. "It's been a long transition, but he's learning every day, and we're really excited about his progress. ... This work in progress is really on the come. He's been one of our guys out here that's really looked good in this camp.

"I'm seeing a real player now."

article cont.......