NFL 2012

The thing about the Denver signing is that Peyton has no receivers since the Broncos decide like the Chargers to just trade away every offensive weapon they have, I really don't get the move.

wat? Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker. Plus they are going to pick up Dallas Clark.

Plus Denvers D is under rated. With Manning theyre gonna be able to t-off ( Von Miller, Dumervil, Ayers, Mays, Irving, Harvey ) with Champ sitting back. Everyone gave credit to Tebow for that run but it was their D that did the real damage.

Whats wrong with Landry?

For some dumbass reason I was thinking about Hall instead of Landry when I said that. Landry is a good pickup I suppose, although I still like Lowery.

and I wanted to ask you about a couple of DBS on your Steelers if you don't mind. Basically, what do you think of these three young players? (Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith, Curtis Brown & Antonio Smith)

Well, first of all, Antonio Brown is likely nothing more than a camp body. I don't really know anything about him except that he's pretty short for a DB, played at Ohio State, and I'm not sure if he ever even played in the NFL. I don't know if he's eligible for the practice squad.

Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith is an interesting player. I'm not sure about his long-term potential, but I do like him. He's a big, hard hitting safety. He may be able to stick as a backup, even as early as this year if the Steelers decide to release Will Allen as a cap casualty, but I'm not sure if he has starter potential.

Curtis Brown has a lot of promise. He did not get an opportunity to play on defense at all last year during the season, although he was an absolute phenom on special teams before he got injured. He will certainly be in the competition for at least the nickel back position in training camp, if not a starting position. He has only average size, but he has speed and quickness with the ability to play the ball. He was a wide receiver in high school, so that makes sense. He's a very athletic player, but he is also a bit unrefined; at least he was when he was drafted. But so was Cortez Allen (in fact, much more so), yet he was able to contribute last year in the dime defense. I believe Brown has the talent and ability to be a starter, maybe even this year. I'm not sure if he can be a high quality #1 cover corner, although he has decent cover ability from what I can tell. I will say this: I was disappointed when they passed on him in the 2nd round. The addition last year of Carnell Lake as the defensive backs coach, however, has had a major impact on the secondary. If Brown is not a starter by the end of the season, it will only be due to the great work that Lake has done with Keenan Lewis, whom many before this past season wrote off as a bust. He should start as the #2 CB this season, even if William Gay is re-signed.

Ah, I fucked up. It was Lewis I was meaning to ask about not Smith. Good stuff tho, thx

I really like those three players. Especially Lewis. Big strong corners are rare.

I have a feeling that Peyton won't be the last (ex-)Colt to sign with Denver. Probably Clark, Saturday...?

Looks like Branch and Ocho possibly out. Explains the signings of Lloyd, Stallworth, Gonzalez...see what sticks and go from there.

Denver visits NE next season...woohoo! Tebow may be on the sidelines after all...the NE sideline that is. Rumors are already afloat that Denver will trade Tebow to NE. Mcdaniels and Tebow the successors to Belichick and Brady?...hmmmmm doubt it not yet.

Ah, I fucked up. It was Lewis I was meaning to ask about not Smith. Good stuff tho, thx

I really like those three players. Especially Lewis. Big strong corners are rare.

Yeah, I had a feeling you didn't mean Smith. You know, the really cool thing about Lewis is that he is childhood friends with Mike Wallace, so he literally grew up covering Mike Wallace. As a rookie in 2009, he had a really hard time learning LeBeau's schemes, and he was even making boneheaded plays on special teams, but Tomlin loved his potential. He eventually ended up with a season ending injury. The second year, he was in legitimate competition to earn the 2nd CB spot over McFadden, and he looked the part in the first two preseason games, but then he had a meltdown against Denver with some stupid penalties, and then to top it off, he took his frustrations out in the locker room by punching and breaking a glass sign, which really put him in Tomlin's doghouse, and that was pretty much it for him in 2010. He played on special teams, but even Anthony Madison, one of those players that are only in the league for the ST ability, got in on defense ahead of him.

This past year, he really took in everything he could from Carnell Lake. Lake employed a lot more man schemes, which Lewis is more of a natural for than cover, especially in his first two years. All of a sudden he was looking like a different player. After McFadden got injured in week 1 and Gay took over the starting job in week 2, Lewis entered the rotation for good, but the interesting thing is that he wasn't really the nickel back. Like Charles Woodson, Gay would move to the nickel when they went to that package, and Lewis would play the outside spot, so Lewis is kind of already a known quantity as a starter. I really like a Taylor/Lewis starting lineup with most likely Curtis Brown as the nickel this year and Cortez Allen coming in on dime packages or nickel packages to cover larger tight ends, because he has a size advantage over the other CBs on the team.

I do hope that they bring Gay back. In all honesty, I would love if they moved him to safety. He's still only in his mid 20s, 5 years younger than Clark, so he could take over the FS position when Clark retires. Lake made the transition from safety to cornerback as a player, so he could not only teach both positions effectively, but help a player convert. And Gay would be just about the most valuable #5 CB in the league. Obviously he's not exactly a Pro Bowler, but he has value. He just met with the Cardinals today, and he's supposed to be going to Tennessee tomorrow, although he would like to return to Pittsburgh.

The Steelers also signed Myron Rolle, although I kind of doubt he even makes the practice squad.

There's a selfish sense of relief that Hines Ward decided to retire. As anybody with a certain connection with a sports team would understand (hell, ask Rick right now), it's almost disorienting to imagine a franchise staple in another team's uniform, and it's saddening to imagine that player languishing into irrelevance, especially on another team. He says that he is retiring to grant Steeler Nation its wish for him to retire as a Steeler, though; while I'm sure this is partly true, the reality is that he probably received hardly any interest from other teams. Nonetheless, I'm thankful that he came to this decision, as Aaron Smith had done earlier.

I guess they genuinely felt that he couldn't contribute as much as they would need him to if he was going to be on the roster as the 4th WR (at best). The team as an organization is ready to move on with Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, and Jerricho Cotchery, assuming they that do re-sign Cotchery, and they will probably draft a 5th WR this year as well.

Ward said in his retirement speech, or rather the question and answer session, that there were some teams that expressed interest, but that he could never see himself in another uniform. I definitely expect him to hang around the facility now and then like many other former Steelers do though, especially because he wants to watch the young receivers develop, and he urged Wallace to stay in Pittsburgh. Eventually he'll probably end up in broadcasting though, or possibly coaching.

Imo, the only thing sexier than a great catch is watching a great receiver sacrafice himself and throw a great block! Hines Ward was one of the best at this.

A true warrior!

The Eagles just upgraded their weakest position by acquiring inside linebacker DeMeco Ryans. He had a bit of a dip in production this year as the Texans switched to a 3-4 so moving back to a 4-3 should be an advantage for him. The Eagles gave up a 4th round pick and swapped 3rd round picks. Impressive move, I must say. Now it's just a matter of getting all of the disparate parts to gel together.

So why would the Texans want to give up a 27-year-old former Pro Bowler and Defensive Rookie of the Year?

Ryans suffered a torn Achilles in 2010 and was initially slow to recover last year. He also didn't fit as naturally into Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense, although we thought Ryans played quite well at the end of the year.

The Texans traded Ryans because they could afford to. He's due $5.9 million in 2012 and that number goes up in future years. Houston wants to free up money to sign some of their other young players long-term. The team also has a young in-house candidate to replace Ryans in Daryl Sharpton.

I love the Ryans trade. The best linebacker we've had on the roster since Trotter for a 4th and swap of 3s? Hell yeah! DeMico is a massive upgrade over the scrubs we had playing at MIKE last year. Two years removed from his injury and back in the 4-3, I would expect his numbers to be big. I've always liked his game, so it will be fun to watch him play for Philly. From what the Texans players are saying, it sounds like he's a great leader, which is something the Eagles defense sorely lacked last year.

Tebow and Denver's 7th traded to the Jets for their 4th and 6th round picks. I just don't see how Tebow can beat out Dustin Keller. :D

In all seriousness, the Jets have two overrated quarterbacks now, so that probably means lots of drama and no playoffs.

Is it odd that I feel somewhat disappointed in the Saints' punishment? I was kind of expecting for a more organizational-level discipline, but they were only fined $500,000, which is nothing to an organization, and they didn't lose a 1st round pick. I think they should have been fined $1M and lost the second round pick this year and the first round pick next year.

Also lol at the Jets.

Brodrick Bunkley signed with the Saints, wow, great pick up. 5 years, $25 million.

EDIT: As far as the punishment goes I think losing Payton for the year is a massive blow bigger than loss of picks and fines could hope to do.